DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my building FINALLY got upgraded to an MFH2 system this week and I had the installer come today to add an HD DVR box(HR21) to my bedroom. Before the upgrade I could only have 1 (yes, only 1) HD DVR box in my entire unit. I only have one home run cable coming into my unit so I was limited in what I could do before.

So, the plan was to have the HR21 in my living room and move my HR20 to my bedroom. However, the installer said HR20's do not work on the system and he wouldn't hook up the HR20 in the bedroom no matter what I said. I told him that HR20's are compatible with the MFH2/SWM-8s and that he should give it a shot anyway. He proceeded to get pretty snippy and informed me that he did this for a living and that I should shut up. I left it alone at that point.

So, my question is are there really issues with HR20's running off of a SWM-8 in an MDU? My building is only 4 floors and has at most 4 customers in the entire building (mostly due to limitations noted earlier). They have an SWM-8 on every floor and I am the only one hooked in on my floor.

Is this more of a problem with larger buildings? I can't understand why an HR20 wouldn't work here. Since I'm hooked right into the SWM-8 I'm just going to purchase a splitter and hook the HR20 up myself but I wanted to know if this guy was blowing smoke up my ass before I tried anything.

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mertzen said:
HR20s are FTM/SWM compatible. I am sure there might be isolated issues based in specific locations but I am sure those would be unrelated.
That's what I thought. He made it seem like it was more of a problem in larger buildings but it was weird that he wouldn't even try it. He was being a complete ******** about it. I was just asking him questions and he got all pissed off. Must have been having a bad day.

Is there a difference between the HR20 and HR21 that allows the HR21 to do better with weaker signals or something? I'm just trying to understand why they refuse to install HR20s on their MFH2 systems.

Looks like I'll be picking up a splitter on the way home to work and hooking this up on my own. I'll just have to make sure I keep an eye on who's signing up for directv on my floor so we don't overpopulate the SWM-8. They labeled me as only having 1 HD-DVR box in the communications closet so it could cause problems down the line...

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Wally20 said:
I'll just have to make sure I keep an eye on who's signing up for directv on my floor so we don't overpopulate the SWM-8. They labeled me as only having 1 HD-DVR box in the communications closet so it could cause problems down the line...
I'd notify the people responsible once you have it installed. Make sure you pick up a correct splitter.

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mertzen said:
I'd notify the people responsible once you have it installed. Make sure you pick up a correct splitter.
Yeah, I'm just going to leave a nice note in the communications closet in the hallway attached to my line letting them know I attached an HR20 to it and that it works just fine. :)

I know I definitely need a splitter as the home run line comes into a junction box in my closet inside my unit. It connects directly to the line that heads out to my family room. There is a 4-way splitter unused sitting in the box but it's for Comcast (only rated up to 1 GHz). As far as splitters go I was just gonna stop at a radioshack and grab one. I just need one that's rated up to 2 GHz right? Does this one look like it will work?

Splitter

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Wally20 said:
As far as splitters go I was just gonna stop at a radioshack and grab one. I just need one that's rated up to 2 GHz right? Does this one look like it will work?

Splitter
Well the one D* recommends is 2-2150Mhz. I would get something as close to that as possible. You'd only need a 2 way anyway. Get one for now but get the proper SWS one later to reduce the risk of issues.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Wally20 said:
That's what I figured. You think I could get away with a 5-2150 MHz splitter for a few days?
Try and see what happens, it won't be tested past 5Mhz but it might just pass it. I've seen non wideband equipment work with HD systems plenty times.

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mertzen said:
Try and see what happens, it won't be tested past 5Mhz but it might just pass it. I've seen non wideband equipment work with HD systems plenty times.
I ordered the sws-2 off solid signal. I'll try and dig up a 5-2150 MHz splitter in the meantime and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
I picked up a 2-way splitter at Circuit City when I first got my field test SWM5 (before we knew about the 2.3 MHz requirement) and it worked fine. It isn't located where I can easily find the make or model number (it wasn't a brand I recognized), but it was power-passing, which may have made a difference.

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bobnielsen said:
I picked up a 2-way splitter at Circuit City when I first got my field test SWM5 (before we knew about the 2.3 MHz requirement) and it worked fine. It isn't located where I can easily find the make or model number (it wasn't a brand I recognized), but it was power-passing, which may have made a difference.
Yeah, I just picked up a $5 2-way 5-2050 MHz splitter from Best Buy and it's working like a charm right now. I'll put in the sws splitter when it comes to be on the safe side.

Going from one HD DVR with the use of one tuner to 2 HD DVRs with the use of multiple tuners is one the greatest things that's ever happened to me. I'm giddy. :D

· Legend
131 Posts
Wally20 said:
That's what I thought. He made it seem like it was more of a problem in larger buildings but it was weird that he wouldn't even try it. He was being a complete ******** about it. I was just asking him questions and he got all pissed off. Must have been having a bad day.

Is there a difference between the HR20 and HR21 that allows the HR21 to do better with weaker signals or something? I'm just trying to understand why they refuse to install HR20s on their MFH2 systems.

Looks like I'll be picking up a splitter on the way home to work and hooking this up on my own. I'll just have to make sure I keep an eye on who's signing up for directv on my floor so we don't overpopulate the SWM-8. They labeled me as only having 1 HD-DVR box in the communications closet so it could cause problems down the line...
The primary difference, in terms of the MFH2 signal, is that the 20 versions I believe download the software over the satellite where as the 21 versions come built in at time of manufactuering.

Have I had problems installing some 20 receivers? Yes. Depending on when they were built I have seen anywhere from 10% - 15% of the receivers not accept the MFH2 signal. As far as I know it has nothing to do with the size of the building, just how the receiver took the download.

Does that mean I am not going to install it? Not at all. I will make it aware to the customer a head of time that this should be a compatiable model but to keep in mind that there have been some issues with the 20s in the event that it does not work.

I guess its possible some companies have just taken a stance not to support the 20s based on the time required to troubleshoot them when they do not work.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
It is true that a brand new (or factory-wiped refurb) HR20 won't recognize the SWM signals until its software has been updated. And it can't get a software update from a SWM system unless it has been updated (Catch-22). But an HR20 that's been in constant use on a legacy system will already have the latest software and will work just fine on a SWM system.

As always, the devil is in the details.

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IIP said:
It is true that a brand new (or factory-wiped refurb) HR20 won't recognize the SWM signals until its software has been updated. And it can't get a software update from a SWM system unless it has been updated (Catch-22). But an HR20 that's been in constant use on a legacy system will already have the latest software and will work just fine on a SWM system.

As always, the devil is in the details.
So if you were to hook up the HR20 to a legacy port on the SWM would it be able to download the necessary software before moving it over to a SWM port?

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Wally20 said:
So if you were to hook up the HR20 to a legacy port on the SWM would it be able to download the necessary software before moving it over to a SWM port?
YES, but "I think" the HR20 will boot out of the box on a SWM, while the H20 is the one that needs software to "know" what a SWM is.

1 Posts
all you have to do is reset receiver and when the very first blue screen comes up, hit 02468 on the remote control to force download. just passe yourself when entering the numbers and make sure it is as soon as you see the first blue screen that welcomes you to DirecTV... don't interrupt download....make sure line is connected to tuner 1.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.