DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm an early adopter but it's starting to get ridiculous. Here's my situation:

Got 2 HR20s installed at the same time. 1 used with HD TV (primary); 2nd used with SD TV. Almost exclusively used the receiver with the HD TV. Rarely used the 2nd receiver.

First 2 weeks: Not bad - some managable bugs/misbehavior: missed a couple of recordings at first but seemed to settle down, trick play kind of funky and unpredictable, usual stuff that people have reported but it was basically working.

After ~2 weeks, receiver #1 hard drive dies; lost about 20hrs of content; DTV offers replacement units; arrives in 2 days. Meanwhile, I transfer existing unit from SD TV to HD TV (now becomes primary) and new replacement unit goes to SD TV.

After latest s/w update, the box has become close to unusable. Problems since update:
-Remote/external unit buttons become completely unresponsive at least 1/day - needs reset/unplugging
-Has required at least 1 reset/day. In some cases, requires complete unplugging.
-Came home 2 days ago and unit was off and unresponsive.
-Last night, I had to go through 2 reset cycles
-Lost audio a couple of times (fixed by changing channels)
-Trick play causes screen to go black for a few seconds

Since the update, I have not had 1 TV session end without a reset.

The bottom line is that it appears this latest release has broken this box. I cannot emphasize that I know what I was getting into and I have more patience than most but I'm getting close to cutting the cord with this box and DTV. I will try to do a hard complete reset (per DTV's advise). Maybe that will work...

The time has come for DirecTV to have a little more transparency in this process and have a direct way to communicate s/w status, known bugs, s/w release notes, etc. I think the dbstalk forum is great and I know that Earl is providing an extremely valuable service but the supplier/customer interface process needs to become more formal.

When my PC is infinitely more stable and predicatble than my TV, there is a big problem.

-Matt

·
5 Posts
Yes, I've received 3 different HR 20 receivers and each time - the remote locked up and was useless. They kept sending me new units but they kept doing the same thing. I finally gave up (after hours and hours of frustration and troubleshooting with DTV that I had them come out and put back my original faithful TIVO.

Missouri

mvkajsk said:
I know I'm an early adopter but it's starting to get ridiculous. Here's my situation:

Got 2 HR20s installed at the same time. 1 used with HD TV (primary); 2nd used with SD TV. Almost exclusively used the receiver with the HD TV. Rarely used the 2nd receiver.

First 2 weeks: Not bad - some managable bugs/misbehavior: missed a couple of recordings at first but seemed to settle down, trick play kind of funky and unpredictable, usual stuff that people have reported but it was basically working.

After ~2 weeks, receiver #1 hard drive dies; lost about 20hrs of content; DTV offers replacement units; arrives in 2 days. Meanwhile, I transfer existing unit from SD TV to HD TV (now becomes primary) and new replacement unit goes to SD TV.

After latest s/w update, the box has become close to unusable. Problems since update:
-Remote/external unit buttons become completely unresponsive at least 1/day - needs reset/unplugging
-Has required at least 1 reset/day. In some cases, requires complete unplugging.

The bottom line is that it appears this latest release has broken this box. I cannot emphasize that I know what I was getting into and I have more patience than most but I'm getting close to cutting the cord with this box and DTV. I will try to do a hard complete reset (per DTV's advise). Maybe that will work...

The time has come for DirecTV to have a little more transparency in this process and have a direct way to communicate s/w status, known bugs, s/w release notes, etc. I think the dbstalk forum is great and I know that Earl is providing an extremely valuable service but the supplier/customer interface process needs to become more formal.

When my PC is infinitely more stable and predicatble than my TV, there is a big problem.

-Matt

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
The time has come for the OP to realize that something may have happened about the time the latest software release came but the software didn't kill the HR20. That would have happened to every single HR20 during the testing phase of the software before they released it.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
glennb said:
The time has come for the OP to realize that something may have happened about the time the latest software release came but the software didn't kill the HR20. That would have happened to every single HR20 during the testing phase of the software before they released it.
Not necessarily. Many people have posted problems that have occurred since a download that didn't exist beforehand, and the problems didn't affect everyone. That's just not the case, that the problems resulting from a download would have exactly the same impact on everyone/every HR20.

Why else would some people not have any problems, but a lot of others do. And many of the experts on this site attribute it to software cause, despite the fact that all people aren't have the exact same issues. And why would D* release six downloads already (7th seems to be on hold for anyone other than those on the West Coast)? They apparently think things are not going well, or why bother?

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
mvkajsk said:

-Matt
Agree, but as you can see from one response, it's not the software. Or else D* wouldn't release it. Now that's comedy.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
mvkajsk said:
big problem.
-Matt
Are all these issues on the SAME HR20... if so... Which one?

Not that you should "have" to do it, but what happens if you re-force download the software (02468), or even format the whole system?

Also the Trick Play causes screen to go black?... do you have this set to NATIVE mode? (if so, then it is a known issue)

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HR20 #1 - Used with HD TV; used frequently; power on/off with TV; Native mode but never saw black sreen during trick play (although trick play inconsistent as others have observed; some minor bugginess but generally performed ok until hard drive died after 2 weeks; Lost ~20hrs of content.

HR20 #2 - Used with SD TV; used infrequently but no obvious issues. When #1 died, #2 was transferred to take #1's place. Now in Native mode; Appears very unstable since s/w update. Hangs/resets itself at least 1/day; requires reset ~1/day, remote/unit become unresponsive, screen blacks out during trick play (in Native mode - maybe this unit did this all along?? but #1 never did that). I have moved this back to rarely used SD TV and will do a reformat/reset. Will lose another ~20hr of content.

HR20 #3 - DTV replacement unit for dead#1. Now trying out on HD TV - we'll see...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.