DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my HR20 installed last Tuesday. Had three or more lock ups the first day during the setup. Recieved the software upgrade on Wednesday and continued to have lockups. Talked to someone in tech support and they walked me through all the steps, the red button resets, the disconnecting the power cord and switching the two cables, etc. He finally determined that the box had a problem. Recieved the new HR20 this morning. I hooked it up and I've had four lockup today. Three of them were while I was setting up my wishlist and basically going through the setup menu's. The most recent one is the strangest yet. I was recording a show and at the same time flipping back and forth between live channels. The picture went black but the banners would show up. Finally had to hit the red reset button again. This is getting old. One week, two new boxes and a dozen lock ups. Before the HR20 was installed I read all the reviews but didn't think it could possibly be that bad, but I'm living proof that something is going on with my box and It's starting to get old, fast. My HR10-250 never locked up. I couldn't wait to get my HD local and now that I have them I'm wondeing if it was worth it. Is anyone else dealing with this same crap. Could a new software upgrade possibly fix the lockups? Thx.

· Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PoitNarf said:
Try removing the b-band converters to see if that makes any difference.
I've seen a few people mention that but wasn't sure it that was a good idea or not. Sure can't hurt at this point. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Besides the lockups I'm pretty happy with the box. Still getting used to the remote and finding my way around but with every lockup I lose a little confidence in this thing. I'll keep trying to work out the bugs just like everyone else. Thx. Frank

· Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Italfra1 said:
I've seen a few people mention that but wasn't sure it that was a good idea or not. Sure can't hurt at this point. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Besides the lockups I'm pretty happy with the box. Still getting used to the remote and finding my way around but with every lockup I lose a little confidence in this thing. I'll keep trying to work out the bugs just like everyone else. Thx. Frank
Started the morning with a lock up right out of the gate. I was watching a recorded program and tried to fast forward and it locked up. I disconnected the power cord in back and removed the BBC's and hooked the sat. cables back up when it started looking for satelites. We'll see if removing the BBC's helps at all.

· Legend
108 Posts
Don't worry, you're not alone out there. Mine's been locking up for no reason since I got it Thursday! I'm scheduled for a replacement tomorrow but I doubt they have any in stock and I'm not too optimistic that the new unit will fix the problem!

Removing the BBC and switching to components didn't help either.

· Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bluesjam said:
I recieved a new box just yesterday because the first one kept locking up. Don't get your hopes up. The new one locks up just as much. I finally sat down to watch a recorded program and after 20 minutes of viewing I went to hit pause but the DVR wouldn't accept any commands from the remote. Unbelievable. It's something new everytime I go to watch something. Don't bother calling any tech support because all as they do is walk you through the same old band aid solutions. Hit red reset button, unplug power cord and cables, etc. Even the techs will tell all they can do is help you get it unlocked, send you a new box and put in a service call. Wonderful. Can someone just get to the bottom of what's causing all these problems. I'm about ready to hook the HR10-250 back up, screw the local hi def channels. It's not worth it at this point.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
bluesjam said:
Thanks, but what do they do and do I need them? I'm thinking they were the things I didn't hook up when I hooked up the HR20. Of course my installer didn't say anything and he was back there, so he should have said something.

Anyway, things are working pretty well with my system, so why would I want them on there if people keep recommending to remove them?

· Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mtnagel said:
Thanks, but what do they do and do I need them? I'm thinking they were the things I didn't hook up when I hooked up the HR20. Of course my installer didn't say anything and he was back there, so he should have said something.

Anyway, things are working pretty well with my system, so why would I want them on there if people keep recommending to remove them?
Not sure what the purpose of the BBC's are but my installer hooked them up, then I was told by someone to take them off. I think they might be used in the future. I'm sure someone around here knows exactly what they are for. Good to hear your box is working fine. Mine's not.

· Legend
108 Posts
My HR10 is still hooked up with an indoor ant., I get most local HD that way.

We need to find similarities between all these units that are freezing up for no reason! D* is not providing any solutions!

We need another list! Any idea?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.