DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the latest update and ran an ethernet cable to my HR20.

But when its plugged in, it locks up the unit and I have to reset it with the network cable unplugged.

Its a brand new cable and it works ok with my xbox.

I tried using a fixed IP address and several different DHCP addresses, but it still locks up, any ideas ?

I am using a Linksys WRT54g router.

·
Legend
115 Posts
I also downloaded the latest update last night. Connected the ethernet cable and was not able to get an address. Decided to reboot and now I'm locked up at Step 1 of 2 checking Sat settings. I've tried both a power cycle (pulled the plug for a minute) and before that I used the RBR a couple of times. I also have the same linksys router. I'm using the ethernet wireless-bridge which works fine for my xbox and xbox 360. Update: Seeing this thread I decided to unplug the cable and RBR. It is now running again with the code downloaded from last night.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Do you have a Media Server running...
That is sending files to the unit?

What happens if you plug the Network cable in AFTER the system loads

·
Legend
115 Posts
No Media Center. Just a few XPSP2 machines on the network, an HP printer, and a Vonage adapter plus the ethernet bridge that is now connected to the HR20 but usually connected to my 360. I have the cable plugged in and it seems fine (kids are watching something recorded earlier at the moment). Still not getting an address though. It has a Autoconfig IP 169.254 address. This was the case before and then I decided to reboot and I hang up if the cable is connected on Step 1.

·
Legend
115 Posts
My Wireless has WEP disabled but my SSID is hidden.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Do you have a Media Server running...
That is sending files to the unit?

What happens if you plug the Network cable in AFTER the system loads
I have WMP11 running on a machine.

If I plug in the network cable when the HR20 is up and running, it locks up within a minute.

It pulls an ip address fine and I can ping it (until it locks up)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
I have an HR20 plugged into my WRT54G running as a bridge with DDWRT, it acquired an IP from the main router and hasn't locked up since I upgraded. Do you have the firewall enabled on the router?

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DVDKingdom said:
I have an HR20 plugged into my WRT54G running as a bridge with DDWRT, it acquired an IP from the main router and hasn't locked up since I upgraded. Do you have the firewall enabled on the router?
Mine is running as a Router and I do not have the firewall enabled.

·
Legend
115 Posts
My problem turned out to be a bad cable. I tried another cable and bingo it worked and received a DHCP address. I rebooted a couple times without a problem. I even disconnected the cable from the wireless-bridge but left it connected to the HR20 and rebooted and it was still fine. The bogus cable for whatever reason was causing it to hang on reboot though.

I can't ping my HR20 even though it is working fine and able to connect to three different XPSP2 PCs with WMP11 or TwonkyMedia.

I suspect something on your network is sending a packet to the HR20 that it doesn't like and causing it to freeze up.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MarkGSportsNut said:
My problem turned out to be a bad cable. I tried another cable and bingo it worked and received a DHCP address. I rebooted a couple times without a problem. I even disconnected the cable from the wireless-bridge but left it connected to the HR20 and rebooted and it was still fine. The bogus cable for whatever reason was causing it to hang on reboot though.

I can't ping my HR20 even though it is working fine and able to connect to three different XPSP2 PCs with WMP11 or TwonkyMedia.

I suspect something on your network is sending a packet to the HR20 that it doesn't like and causing it to freeze up.
I tired a different network cable, same issue, it obtained an IP address, but could not see my music (tried installing Twonky also). The machine did not lock up, but I tried a reboot and it locked after loading. So pulled the cable and rebooted, HR20 functioning again.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
179 Posts
mwhaley said:
I tired a different network cable, same issue, it obtained an IP address, but could not see my music (tried installing Twonky also). The machine did not lock up, but I tried a reboot and it locked after loading. So pulled the cable and rebooted, HR20 functioning again.
I fought with the HR20 all day after upgrading last night. It hasn't locked up once since I pulled out the network cable. Everything was working fine when i was at 108.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
179 Posts
Slump Buster said:
I fought with the HR20 all day after upgrading last night. It hasn't locked up once since I pulled out the network cable. Everything was working fine when i was at 108.
I had time this morning to try to debug this issue. I turned off Twonky on my server and then rebooted the HR20. Same thing.... it would not get past "97%" in the satelliete aquisition (stage 2 of 2). I then removed the network cord, rebooted, and it came back up. I then plugged the cord back in (with twonky service still halted) and it then locked up again within a minute.

I verified this scenario over and over again... having the network cord plugged in at any point would lock up my HR20. I had 108 with the exact same setup and the problem did not happen once.

Any ideas? I have a static IP plugged in, and my HR20 is plugged in to a switch in my home theater.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Slump Buster said:
Any ideas? I have a static IP plugged in, and my HR20 is plugged in to a switch in my home theater.
Sure it's a switch and not a hub? If it's a hub, then the HR20 might not like lost packets due to packet collisions within the hub itself.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
179 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Sure it's a switch and not a hub? If it's a hub, then the HR20 might not like lost packets due to packet collisions within the hub itself.
good thought... I had not thought of that. However, I just verified... it is a gigafast ethernet switch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.