DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my HD upgrade today. Ordered 3 weeks ago with DTV and since I wanted a saturday install so had to wait until today. Upgrade included a new 5-LNB dish and receiver. My prior dish was a single LNB that went up in 96 (self install) though I had added a DVR 3 years ago.

Got an automated call fro Ironwood on Thurday reminding me of my 8-12 install for today. Around 9am the installer called, and said he would be there within the hour. Arrived in about 35 minutes.

He spent about 5 minutes looking at the outside location and making sure it would draw a good signal. Installation was at ground level. Then we went inside and I showed him out I had run my wire before - it was snaked through the basement along side the heating ducts. He was hesitant at first and mentioned the custom charge ($37.50/half hour) to snake the wire. I asked since he was replaicing the old wire, we could just connect the new 2 wire to the old wire and pull it through the celing. He thought that would work.

He removed the old dish and assembled the new one and installed it. Put the new 2-wire through the house and into the 'duct work' (<i have an access panel there> and taped it to the old wire. All was going fine when he pulled to hard and the new wire/old wire taped splice came lose. He had no equipment to snake though the chase to run the wire. I had done this in 9 and it took a couple of patient hours to make it work. And at thsoe prices, I did not want him to try it. So I had him run the wire down the floor and up to the ceiling, figuring I can snake it later.

Om the first floor, I had a single cable switch plate with phone jack. At first he had brought a switch plate with 2 cables conectiors<No phone>. He went back to the truck and found a double cable with phone switch place. He spent about 20 minutes trying to make the phone jack work and said that sometimes the ones they have are wired wrong. He tried calling another installer but no luck. So he wound up swaping the phone jack with my switch plate and the phone worked fine.

Finally installed the receiver and did the activation. Signal strengths all seemed great <but I do not know how all the transponders work> but the pictures and channels are all there (Local and HD) so I assume that everything is good.

Very windy day here and no issues with signal reception.

3 1/2 hours from arrival to he was ready for me to sign off on the bill. He wanted to chage $75 for the custom wiring install. I said you didn't snake anything and if anything I am worse off on wiring than before. So I said I'd pay for 1/2 hour. But i noticed this was not written up on the directv So I assume he just took the money as a tip :(

In reading the back of the receipt it says Installation includes "Grounding of dish to meet Local/NEC requirements." Which he did not do.

Now I did not ground the dish in 1996.

Would you all have expected the current "licensed installer" to ground this dish?"

Other than that the installation went sooth though I think 3.5 hours was a long time and had 4 more to today, I feel sorry for the last install.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Jwkde said:
I had my HD upgrade today. Ordered 3 weeks ago with DTV and since I wanted a saturday install so had to wait until today. Upgrade included a new 5-LNB dish and receiver. My prior dish was a single LNB that went up in 96 (self install) though I had added a DVR 3 years ago.

Got an automated call fro Ironwood on Thurday reminding me of my 8-12 install for today. Around 9am the installer called, and said he would be there within the hour. Arrived in about 35 minutes.

He spent about 5 minutes looking at the outside location and making sure it would draw a good signal. Installation was at ground level. Then we went inside and I showed him out I had run my wire before - it was snaked through the basement along side the heating ducts. He was hesitant at first and mentioned the custom charge ($37.50/half hour) to snake the wire. I asked since he was replaicing the old wire, we could just connect the new 2 wire to the old wire and pull it through the celing. He thought that would work.

He removed the old dish and assembled the new one and installed it. Put the new 2-wire through the house and into the 'duct work' (<i have an access panel there> and taped it to the old wire. All was going fine when he pulled to hard and the new wire/old wire taped splice came lose. He had no equipment to snake though the chase to run the wire. I had done this in 9 and it took a couple of patient hours to make it work. And at thsoe prices, I did not want him to try it. So I had him run the wire down the floor and up to the ceiling, figuring I can snake it later.

Om the first floor, I had a single cable switch plate with phone jack. At first he had brought a switch plate with 2 cables conectiors<No phone>. He went back to the truck and found a double cable with phone switch place. He spent about 20 minutes trying to make the phone jack work and said that sometimes the ones they have are wired wrong. He tried calling another installer but no luck. So he wound up swaping the phone jack with my switch plate and the phone worked fine.

Finally installed the receiver and did the activation. Signal strengths all seemed great <but I do not know how all the transponders work> but the pictures and channels are all there (Local and HD) so I assume that everything is good.

Very windy day here and no issues with signal reception.

3 1/2 hours from arrival to he was ready for me to sign off on the bill. He wanted to chage $75 for the custom wiring install. I said you didn't snake anything and if anything I am worse off on wiring than before. So I said I'd pay for 1/2 hour. But i noticed this was not written up on the directv So I assume he just took the money as a tip :(

In reading the back of the receipt it says Installation includes "Grounding of dish to meet Local/NEC requirements." Which he did not do.

Would you all have expected the current "licensed installer" to ground this dish?"

Other than that the installation went sooth though I think 3.5 hours was a long time and had 4 more to today, I feel sorry for the last install.
Some people are never satisfied.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Jwkde said:
I had my HD upgrade today.

Grounding is an interesting and quite complex problem, when it comes to lightning issues. It's pretty simple for "safety grounds", which is pretty much all NEC is worried about. Lightning (contrary to popular beliefs) is an RF (radio frequency) problem more than a direct current problem. Getting a good RF ground is ....well...a challenge, and doing it improperly, can put your equipment at greater risk than not grounding it at all (at the dish).

Simply grounding the dish to a ground rod below it, accomplishes absolutely nothing for the incredible RF pulse that accompanies lightning (and I'm not talking about a direct hit...nothing you can afford will protect against a direct hit). If your dish is low compared to other likely paths (trees, power lines, outside tv antenna, etc), not grounding it may not be much of a concern. Of course, there are insurance concerns (if you have a company that plays the NEC card and then refuses to cover your loss).

So, there is no simple answer. He should have done it according to contract. Mine didn't, but I have an extensive ground system here for my ham radio setup, and I need to integrate the dish ground with it, or there is no protection. This is called a "single point ground", and is the only known way to protect equipment from failure due to differential ground impedance paths which will result in tens of thousands of volts appearing across your equipment as the result of a nearby strike.

A single ground rod with a wire running to the dish may protect you from being electrocuted (safety ground), but it has no protection value as far as damaging the equipment from a nearby strike. It will, however make your insurance company happy.

There is also the problem of ground loops (far too complex to get into here) that are caused by different grounds being present between equipment and the main a/c that powers that equipment. (Your dish ground and your power company ground are not at the same ground potential, therefore current flows on your equipment because of the two voltages (grounds) being different. This can cause very erratic equipment operation, hum, noise bars on the tv, etc.

Sorry to be so verbose. At least you know what your choices are:

1. Put in the safety ground for NEC and Insurance purposes. (and hope for the best with a nearby strike, and the absence of ground loops)

2. Put in a full fledged single point ground (satisfies NEC, Insurance and Lightning Protection issues), but is a LOT, and I mean a VERY LOT of work. Google Polyphaser to learn about how to properly ground antennas.

3. Let it sit like it is (if it is quite low), and accept the risk.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.