DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Legend
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I am a newbie to the forum but have been an active reader for some time so thanks to all for the great information provided here!

Shortly after the latest upgrade I hooked up my HR20 to my non ViiV network via Cat5 patch I created to test the connection. HR20 connection was successful so I downloaded WMP11 and I was off and running. Everything appeared to work as stated in the threads I had read.

Now with it (so I thought ) confirmed working I pulled a new cat5 hooked everything back up and now when the HR20 connection screen comes up it tells me failed no connection to the internet. I verified router (Dlink WBR-2310) has allowed the mac address for the HR20 and it has assigned a IP for the device. I believe I have everything set proper in the settings for the router but am not as advanced with networking as some of you are so my issue could still be here but don't think so.

What I am seeing on the HR20 is it does see the network connection but does not see an internet connection. It also does not appear to be changing the IP to the one assigned by the router still only displays the default one.

I have tried the RBR still no response. re-installed the original patch I used for the test and same response.

Any help or suggestions would be great! And thanks again to all this is a great forum!

· Hall Of Fame
3,756 Posts
facmgr6569 said:
First of all I am a newbie to the forum but have been an active reader for some time so thanks to all for the great information provided here!

Shortly after the latest upgrade I hooked up my HR20 to my non ViiV network via Cat5 patch I created to test the connection. HR20 connection was successful so I downloaded WMP11 and I was off and running. Everything appeared to work as stated in the threads I had read.

Now with it (so I thought ) confirmed working I pulled a new cat5 hooked everything back up and now when the HR20 connection screen comes up it tells me failed no connection to the internet. I verified router (Dlink WBR-2310) has allowed the mac address for the HR20 and it has assigned a IP for the device. I believe I have everything set proper in the settings for the router but am not as advanced with networking as some of you are so my issue could still be here but don't think so.

What I am seeing on the HR20 is it does see the network connection but does not see an internet connection. It also does not appear to be changing the IP to the one assigned by the router still only displays the default one.

I have tried the RBR still no response. re-installed the original patch I used for the test and same response.

Any help or suggestions would be great! And thanks again to all this is a great forum!
Try re-running the network setup again. If that doesn't work, try manually setting a static IP. Once you do that go to WMP and unshare your devices ( not files) and then reshare them. WMP doesn't seem to relese the old devices when things change. You need to reset things by unsharing first.

azarby

· Legend
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I re-ran network setup (even reforsced download). I did set up a static IP. I have unshared in WPM and now I no longer see the device to reshare.

Thanks azarby any other thoughts its like the network does not see it (even tho the mac is in the routing table)

· Hall Of Fame
3,756 Posts
facmgr6569 said:
I re-ran network setup (even reforsced download). I did set up a static IP. I have unshared in WPM and now I no longer see the device to reshare.

Thanks azarby any other thoughts its like the network does not see it (even tho the mac is in the routing table)
Did you say that you changed the cable ?If so, try the original cable if you can.

azarby

· Legend
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep I tried multiple cables. I connected on that cable with my laptop so I think the cable is fine. The run is 50 to 75 feet so I am going to try adding another switch and see what happens. I also tried the unplug for 15 min thing and still no response.

· Hall Of Fame
3,756 Posts
facmgr6569 said:
yep I tried multiple cables. I connected on that cable with my laptop so I think the cable is fine. The run is 50 to 75 feet so I am going to try adding another switch and see what happens. I also tried the unplug for 15 min thing and still no response.
50-75 feet should not be a problem. My cable s are about 65 feet. Is the HR20 on the same sub-net as the PC. If not, it won't see it.

azazrby

· AllStar
74 Posts
facmgr6569 said:
I think I have the same problem. Can you confirm the problem once again.

When I run Network Setup I can connect to the "network" and play/view from my laptop running WMP11 however at the Network Setup it indicates that I cannot connect to the internet. All other pc's on the network are OK with internet connection. I use advance setup and whether I assiign a static IP or use DHCP Iget the same result. subnet and gateways also appear correct. Have tried RBR and reinstalling 10B to no avail.:nono2:

· Legend
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I now have it connected. I had to reduce the run by about 10 feet and just like magic it now says connected to the internet. It does appear that the length of the run has an effect on the communication of the unit.

Once I was able to establish communications again with my network I had problems getting WPM11 to see the device so I installed TVersity (See link below) thanks blucas95! restared both and bam back on line with both

dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=75287

· Legend
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rm226 said:
I think I have the same problem. Can you confirm the problem once again.

When I run Network Setup I can connect to the "network" and play/view from my laptop running WMP11 however at the Network Setup it indicates that I cannot connect to the internet. All other pc's on the network are OK with internet connection. I use advance setup and whether I assiign a static IP or use DHCP Iget the same result. subnet and gateways also appear correct. Have tried RBR and reinstalling 10B to no avail.:nono2:
Are you running a hard wire and is it a long run? I think I discovered my length issue when trying to connect another router and could not get it to see it. I tried another shorter cable and it worked. Reduced my cable length and then it immediately saw the network and internet.

· Hall Of Fame
1,561 Posts
facmgr6569 said:

If it only sees the default 169.254.x.x address then it does not have a DHCP server (probably your router) assigned address and it doesn't know what the address of it's gateway is, if it doesn't know where the gateway is, then it doesn't know where to send internet bound traffic. . go into the HR-20 advanced setup and assign an IP address by hand like 192.168.0.40/255.255.255.0, make sure it is an unused address on your current network. point the gateway to your router address and try to connect again.

· DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
It sounds like the router never release the MAC address and you had dual MAC's.

Did you try deleting the IP Assignment out of the router?

The length of the cable has NO affect.

· Math Wiz
148 Posts
CAT5 cable can run up to 100 meters ~ 325 ft without issue.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.