DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had DirectTV installed this morning and since I ordered the HD DVR, they also installed a HR10-250. I was surprised since I had been reading about HD DVR's for the last week and was under the impression that the HR10-250 was discontinued.

Should I insist on the newer HR20? I've read about a lot of people being unhappy with that one. Should I consider myself lucky to have come across a HR10-250?

Also, I noticed that the HR10-250 doesn't have an ethernet jack and I'm used to a ReplayTV with the ability to move my shows to a pc on my network. I've seen pictures of the HR20 with an ethernet jack on the back. Does that model have the ability to take the files off of it?

Thanks,
Amanda

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Unless you specifically requested an HR10-250... I am curious on why they installed it.

HR10-250 is a TiVo powered unit, and is very different unit then the HR20.
See www.tivocommunity.com for details on it.

No, the HR20, you can not "take" files from it to a PC.
Unless you hack your HR10 you can't do it there either.

With the HR10 you will not be able to access any MPEG-4 programming.
Which includes your Locals Via Sat in HD, your RSN in HD, and eventually any HD-content on DirecTV when they complete the transision to MPEG-4 in 2007/2008

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
TheTechChik said:
I just had DirectTV installed this morning and since I ordered the HD DVR, they also installed a HR10-250. I was surprised since I had been reading about HD DVR's for the last week and was under the impression that the HR10-250 was discontinued.

Should I insist on the newer HR20? I've read about a lot of people being unhappy with that one. Should I consider myself lucky to have come across a HR10-250?
Sounds like the company had a bunch of HR10s they need to get rid of if you ask me. That or they're really rather clueless.

I'd insist on an HR20 AND a tech that knows what the heck he's doing. The HR10 has been discontinued for a long time, I believe.

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
iacas said:
Sounds like the company had a bunch of HR10s they need to get rid of if you ask me. That or they're really rather clueless.

I'd insist on an HR20 AND a tech that knows what the heck he's doing. The HR10 has been discontinued for a long time, I believe.
Unless you have a burning need for features specific to the HR20, I'd wait 6-8 weeks, and then call and say "Hey! I just found out I got a discontinued box - I want the box I should have gotten!!".

That way, you end up with the right box, but with luck one that has gotten more stable as the software should have continued to evolve in the interim..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.