DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say that you have your house in the city and you also have a lake house. You have 2 HR20's, one at the city house and one at the lake house. Your account is registered to the city house.

If you have the phone line hooked up to the lake house HR20, will this get flagged by DirecTV that the HR20 is calling in from a different number than the account phone number.

Wouldn't want to get caught up in legal and/or billing issues.

Any ideas?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Other then there is no way to block the caller-id..

Since it calls an 800 number... and by "rule" they are allowed to identify anyone calling the number they are paying for.

Just call DirecTV and make an arrangement so you can have one at your "Lake House"

But, I will warn you... To DirecTV there is little difference between it being your "Lake House" and your "Mom's House"

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I'm not advocating doing anything illegal or against your terms of service, but my understanding is that the HR20 only needs a phone line to order PPV. Otherwise it wouldn't require a phone line.

However, (slightly OT) don't forget that it is technically possible to derive your location from your public IP address if you have the HR20 networked to the internet.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
cuibap said:
You should be able to prove to D* that you own those houses (fax the title over to D*)
That really doesn't come into play if you own it or not.

The "agreement" says that all your mirrored units are to be on the same phone line/number (basically at least in the old days), making sure it was at the same physical address.

They will (and have) made exception if you are going to an alternate location for vacation (cabin, "lake house", ect)

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
They will (and have) made exception if you are going to an alternate location for vacation (cabin, "lake house", ect)
I recall seeing this some time back as well (@ TiVoCommunity Forum). If it is truly a vacation house, then I believe that DirecTV will honor the $5 mirroring fee and it is all legal. As Earl said, "Mom's house" is not the same thing, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.