DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured since all you ever see on here is the "end of the world" comments on the HR20 I'd post my 0.02.

I've had my HR20 since September and other than a lockup before the first update, it has given me ZERO problems other than the pink FF arrows.

It records all my shows(10-15 per week), I replay them all with no problem, the storage size is great and most importantly I have not missed my HD Directivo at all.

The box has been great for me, even better since I got it for $99. All it needs is OTA.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
elwaylite said:
I figured since all you ever see on here is the "end of the world" comments on the HR20 I'd post my 0.02.

I've had my HR20 since September and other than a lockup before the first update, it has given me ZERO problems other than the pink FF arrows.

It records all my shows(10-15 per week), I replay them all with no problem, the storage size is great and most importantly I have not missed my HD Directivo at all.

The box has been great for me, even better since I got it for $99. All it needs is OTA.
Your experience and mine are very similar, but there are many people who are having some very difficult issues. The problem with posts like "Positive Comments" and "HR20 is a POS", is they invite angry rebuttal. For some people the HR20 needs a LOT more than OTA (I want OTA very badly myself).

Hopefully this thread will disappear just like the anti-HR20 ones. Neither accomplish much other than stirring the pot (and I'm not saying you intentionally are doing this....I'm saying given temperment on these forums, it is virtually a certainty.

· Hall Of Fame
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not my intention, and if it is taken that way, I could care less.

We all know there are people that blow situations out of proportion and I think there are plenty on this BB. I was behind a guy at the car wash this weekend, his car went through and he claimed it did not spray his wheels with wheel cleaner and demanded the $1.95 back and made a huge scene about it when he could have handled it rationally, same thing here.

My goal of this post is for someone who is researching the HR20 will see there are people that really like the box along with people that do not. Before I got the R15 I saw all of the negative blasts mainly because it was not a tivo. Well, I've had the R15 since August and it works great too.

Problem with most BB's is you only hear from the complainers.

· Banned
1,614 Posts
I've had mine about 6 weeks now and it's been working great.

I had a few minor issues, but no end of the world stuff like some people.

Out of all the people that have an HR20 only a small percentage of the people post messages here.

It's not fair to come here, read about a few bad experiences and tell everyone - That new DIRECTV HR20 is a piece of crap !!

· AllStar
92 Posts
glennb said:
I've had mine about 6 weeks now and it's been working great.

I had a few minor issues, but no end of the world stuff like some people.

Out of all the people that have an HR20 only a small percentage of the people post messages here.

It's not fair to come here, read about a few bad experiences and tell everyone - That new DIRECTV HR20 is a piece of crap !!
Perfect point glennb! I have had my share of problems, but would never say it's a piece of crap. What bugs me are the extremes--the posters that imply since they have no problems, that you must be imagining things AND the posters that insist that no one could be happy with the performance. The truth (like almost always) lies in the vast middle ground.

OT--everyone please remember to vote on Tuesday. No political urging either way, vote your conscience, but please vote--it's what makes America great!

2 Posts
hasan said:
Hopefully this thread will disappear just like the anti-HR20 ones. Neither accomplish much other than stirring the pot (and I'm not saying you intentionally are doing this....I'm saying given temperment on these forums, it is virtually a certainty.
Actually, Hasan, I, for one, appreciate posts such as this from elwaylite. I've been a long-time D* subscriber and currently have a couple standard receivers & an SD-Tivo. I've been lurking these boards for quite a while and am on the fence as to whether I should make the jump to the HR20 or wait until the smoke settles, or even if I should jump to E*.

Reading all the negative posts about this new unit, I've gotten more and more wary about making the jump. I do in fact realize that the majority of posts are from people requesting help with certain issues, and communities such as this provide an invaluable resource. But it is very helpful for me to hear from users who have not experienced the problems voiced here and to be reassured that not all is "gloom and doom" with this unit.

I do appreciate your concern about posts like this rubbing salt in the wounds of those who have not had such good luck, but, as with everything, I like to hear all sides of an issue.

Just my 2 cents...

gcb

· Registered
5,952 Posts
My concern isn't hearing from all sides we need that very badly, but that can happen in context with a more "typical thread". Just titling "POS" or "HR20 Positives" seems to bring out the worst in people...that was my only point.

I make an effort to respond to any thread that discusses issues that I'm familiar with, and stating whether I have them or not, and under what conditions. I sure wish we could keep the "noise down" and the "signal up" in discussions, and try to avoid provoking people on both sides. (Not that they are wholly innocent either, as some seem to only be able to have fun if they are stirring the pot...they have no real interest in problem reporting/analysis/solving, just want attention or get people to take the bait.) A sad commentary, but true in some cases.

You did take my point correctly, rubbing salt in the wounds is one side, and being nothing more than a negative agent provoceteur is the other. Niether is useful.

· Legend
219 Posts
elwaylite said:

Your thread had a very clear title. Anyone making an issue over some good news didn't need to open it and twist it into something else. I just bought my second HR20 today after a flawless month with my first HR20. Oh, I was reading many posts during that time. Thanks elwaylite for the positive words.

· Hall Of Fame
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The one thing I do not understand ( and before I proceed this is a QUESTION not an ACCUSATION), why do some boxes like mine work pretty flawlessly and then some act up all the time. That blows me away. You'd figure with the same software that it'd be consistent.

Maybe it's different hardware.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
elwaylite said:
The one thing I do not understand ( and before I proceed this is a QUESTION not an ACCUSATION), why do some boxes like mine work pretty flawlessly and then some act up all the time. That blows me away. You'd figure with the same software that it'd be consistent.

Maybe it's different hardware.
The hardware is the same.
Built by the same company... with the same components.

Your question is the $1,000,000 question.

There are several other factors that come into play.
The HDMI->TV connection. Quality of the Install of the 5LNB dish, multiswitches...
The local MPEG-4 encoding plays a factor...

· Premium Member
2,324 Posts
hasan said:
Your experience and mine are very similar, but there are many people who are having some very difficult issues. The problem with posts like "Positive Comments" and "HR20 is a POS", is they invite angry rebuttal. For some people the HR20 needs a LOT more than OTA (I want OTA very badly myself).

Whether it be "pro" or "con", all threads relating to issues with the HR20 are Welcome. It's when the pot gets stirred with the flame wars, personal attacks and name-calling, that it becomes a problem. We are always glad to hear that there are those who are not having many issues at all, as well as those who are. The "POS" doesn't get into explaining what the actual issues are, other than the user is completeley Pi**ed at its performance.

Again, all threads are welcome, as long as they and the members stay within the guidelines of this forum.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Great box. So far no troubles. No lockups, no missed recordings. Installed late Sept. Excited for OTA to be active, but happy I don't have a troubled box. Stick with it folks, this really is a great box when things are actually working properly.

· Hall Of Fame
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
The hardware is the same.
Built by the same company... with the same components.

Your question is the $1,000,000 question.

There are several other factors that come into play.
The HDMI->TV connection. Quality of the Install of the 5LNB dish, multiswitches...
The local MPEG-4 encoding plays a factor...
Good point Earl. I did not think about the TV connections or Mpeg 4 as I am not on HD locals yet.

· Banned
375 Posts
I am sorry to put something negative in here, and please take this the right way! but with all of the reports on the HR20, the tuners suck! I have 3 bad replacement boxes with tuners bad...my original one was a bad hard drive and I believe it caused a lot of other problems if it werent for that, I would have nothing bad to say against this box...for me I dont care if OTA wasnt activated, I have HD Locals.

· AllStar
55 Posts
stuart628 said:
I am sorry to put something negative in here, and please take this the right way! but with all of the reports on the HR20, the tuners suck! I have 3 bad replacement boxes with tuners bad...my original one was a bad hard drive and I believe it caused a lot of other problems if it werent for that, I would have nothing bad to say against this box...for me I dont care if OTA wasnt activated, I have HD Locals.
See how quickly this thread turns. Even when the title states, "HR20 Positive Comments", you still get the negative. Pretty sad.

I love this HR-20. Can't say enough good about it. It performs as well as advertised. Not a single problem.

Samsung LN-S4695D
HR-20
HDMI

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.