DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with the new hr20-700 and my TV. It's a Sony XBR 36 inch 450 model. It's about 3 years old and IS HD ready. I had no problems with my old receiver, a Sony HD-300. But now I can't get the picture to look right.

I have the box set to 4:3, cropped, native OFF, and 1080i resolution. Everything works, but I noticed on the receiver that the resolution is set to 480p or 480i, I'm not sure. Does it default to this resolution? If so, why set it to 1080i? If it says 480, am I getting 1080i on the HD channels?

The only other weirdness is that cropping a HD channel not only blows it up, which is fine I guess, but it shifts to the left, cutting off titles and graphics.

Thanks

·
DBSTalk Club Member
584 Posts
You did not say if you were using component or HDMI.

You want 1080i from the HR20 - and if the HR 20 says 480 - it is not 1080i.

·
Banned
614 Posts
sgrimess said:
I am having problems with the new hr20-700 and my TV. It's a Sony XBR 36 inch 450 model. It's about 3 years old and IS HD ready. I had no problems with my old receiver, a Sony HD-300. But now I can't get the picture to look right.

I have the box set to 4:3, cropped, native OFF, and 1080i resolution. Everything works, but I noticed on the receiver that the resolution is set to 480p or 480i, I'm not sure. Does it default to this resolution? If so, why set it to 1080i? If it says 480, am I getting 1080i on the HD channels?

The only other weirdness is that cropping a HD channel not only blows it up, which is fine I guess, but it shifts to the left, cutting off titles and graphics.

Thanks
You won't notice any picture quality difference on a 4:3 set using 480p instead of 1080i output. 1080i is for TV's with 16:9 aspect ratio. Set the HR20 to 420p and you should correct any distortion. Select native off on service menus, and press the RES button in the front of the HR20 until it lights up 480p.

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using component. However, to the second reply, I do notice a difference with 1080 because even though I have a 4:3 TV it is high def. The picture is noticably better, albeit shrunk and letterboxed.

·
Banned
614 Posts
sgrimess said:
I'm using component. However, to the second reply, I do notice a difference with 1080 because even though I have a 4:3 TV it is high def. The picture is noticably better, albeit shrunk and letterboxed.
Try out 480p and compare, you wont have the shrunken letterbox.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
584 Posts
I have a 40" Sony 4:3 that I use now in the bedroom. When I used it with the HR-10 250 I had the same issue - I used the letter box mode - as I wanted to see orginal aspect ratio of the programs. I could live with the smaller pic but now I have it back with the Sony receiver 200 and it does full screen for SD and only letter box on HD material.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Reggie3 said:
I have a 40" Sony 4:3 that I use now in the bedroom. When I used it with the HR-10 250 I had the same issue - I used the letter box mode - as I wanted to see orginal aspect ratio of the programs. I could live with the smaller pic but now I have it back with the Sony receiver 200 and it does full screen for SD and only letter box on HD material.
Yes it depends on the TV and STB configuration. Most of the time when it's an HD program you cant modify whether it's full or letterbox.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.