Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Icon
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've played with HR20 for almost a week now, and I have a couple of questions:

1) I tried to set up my series links for "First Run" only, but when I checked my ToDo list, it is set to record repeats. Why? Also, when I went to delete the repeat from my ToDo list, it deleted the series link as well. I have just decided to go ahead and record the repeats and delete them after they record to prevent the whole series link to be deleted. My question is, by "First Run" do they mean NO repeats will be recorded, or does it mean, it will not record the syndicated old shows? I would think it's the former, same as TiVo. Why would it record repeats if it's setup NOT to and why would it delete the whole link when deleting ONE episode?

2) I have kept my HR20 on Native, so it switches between formats when I change channels. That doesn't bother me so much per se, as I know I will get the best resolution possible for each show, but, how will this affect my TV in the long run? All that switching resolutions (screen going black and reformatting) doesn't seem like it would be good for the TV.

3) I seem to get some dropout on my recordings, screen goes blank for short spurts (a second or two). Is this common with these units?

4) When I went to throw my HR20 box in my attic, I noticed there was some sort of small device with a coax cable attached to it. It looks like some sort of demodulator. What is that used for? I vaguely recall the install saying something about it being used for OTA reception (but he had a thick Russian accent, so he was hard to understand).

Thanks for your answers :)

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Steveknj said:
I've played with HR20 for almost a week now, and I have a couple of questions:

1) I tried to set up my series links for "First Run" only, but when I checked my ToDo list, it is set to record repeats. Why? Also, when I went to delete the repeat from my ToDo list, it deleted the series link as well. I have just decided to go ahead and record the repeats and delete them after they record to prevent the whole series link to be deleted. My question is, by "First Run" do they mean NO repeats will be recorded, or does it mean, it will not record the syndicated old shows? I would think it's the former, same as TiVo. Why would it record repeats if it's setup NOT to and why would it delete the whole link when deleting ONE episode?

2) I have kept my HR20 on Native, so it switches between formats when I change channels. That doesn't bother me so much per se, as I know I will get the best resolution possible for each show, but, how will this affect my TV in the long run? All that switching resolutions (screen going black and reformatting) doesn't seem like it would be good for the TV.

3) I seem to get some dropout on my recordings, screen goes blank for short spurts (a second or two). Is this common with these units?

4) When I went to throw my HR20 box in my attic, I noticed there was some sort of small device with a coax cable attached to it. It looks like some sort of demodulator. What is that used for? I vaguely recall the install saying something about it being used for OTA reception (but he had a thick Russian accent, so he was hard to understand).

Thanks for your answers :)
1. The data for repeats/first run is embedded in the data stream and does not always match the text shown with Info...I have the same problem. When D* fixes the data stream it will work as intended. It has in the past, but lately it's been messed up. Until then, you'll have to manage repeats on your own.

2. Switching resolutions gains little if anything. Set the resolution output of the HR20 to match the capabilities of your TV (whatever its max resolution is, typically 720P or 1080i.) Since the HR20 can only ouput in HD at eiither 720p or 1080i, I would set the following:

If your TV is 720p, set the HR20 for fixed res output of 720p
If your TV is 1080i, set the HR20 for 1080i
If your TV is 1080p, set the HR20 for 1080i (as the HR20 has no 1080p

That's a good starting point. Now...you can experiment to see which box has a better scalar, and whether 720p or 1080i from the HR20 "looks better to you" by trying 720p on your 1080 tV or 1080i on your 720p TV.

In general follow the rule: set the HR20 to the max capabilities of your TV. There is no real advanatage to Native mode ON in the HR20.

3. More info: What channels? OTA? SD? HD? Signal Levels?

4. The small boxes are called BBCs...they will be needed in the future, don't disconnect them or lose them. They don't hurt anything now and it is the proper setup to have them in place. Some people early on had what they thought were problems with them, but that is hard to confirm and only a very few people. So, leave them connected.

·
Icon
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hasan said:
3. More info: What channels? OTA? SD? HD? Signal Levels?

4. The small boxes are called BBCs...they will be needed in the future, don't disconnect them or lose them. They don't hurt anything now and it is the proper setup to have them in place. Some people early on had what they thought were problems with them, but that is hard to confirm and only a very few people. So, leave them connected.
Thanks for the info on 1 and 2. I'll try what you suggested. My highest resolution is 1080i.

for #3 I notice this last night recording an HD show (Big Day) on ABCHD coming in through the dish. Not sure about signal levels, but this was a recorded show, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference during playback, but obviously it would during the recording. Weather was clear here, so there should be no blockage issues.

4. Right now, I do not have a BBC hooked up in my setup, but I have 2 of them that came with my HR20. What are they going to be used for, OTA, D* channels? I have no OTA coming into my HR20 right now, but might in the future. Where to they go, on the cable at the TV or at the HR20?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Steveknj said:
Thanks for the info on 1 and 2. I'll try what you suggested. My highest resolution is 1080i.

for #3 I notice this last night recording an HD show (Big Day) on ABCHD coming in through the dish. Not sure about signal levels, but this was a recorded show, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference during playback, but obviously it would during the recording. Weather was clear here, so there should be no blockage issues.

4. Right now, I do not have a BBC hooked up in my setup, but I have 2 of them that came with my HR20. What are they going to be used for, OTA, D* channels? I have no OTA coming into my HR20 right now, but might in the future. Where to they go, on the cable at the TV or at the HR20?
The little boxes go between each satellite cable input and the sat cable coming from the dish:

Dish > Cable 1 > BBC1 > HR20 Sat Tuner Input 1
Dish > Cable 2 > BBC2 > HR20 Sat tuner Input 2

When reboot the HR20 after you put them back on.

They will be needed when the new sats are launched this coming year.

3. MPEG-4/HD-Locals have some of these problems...it could be weak signals as well. Can't help you much there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.