DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems prior to the last update, my HR20-700 could do SAP. I am now on a channel transmitting a secondary audio signal and I cannot find an option to receive it. Before I could use the green button to select secondary audio or go to audio options in the setup menu, but now I only get an "English DD" instead of both a DD and DD2.

Have they moved the SAP selection, or is it completely gone?

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
Try the yellow button popup menu. If there is secondary audio, it will show up there.

· Icon
588 Posts
I'm not seeing any audio optons under the "Yellow" "TV Options" choice. I am watching CNBCHD (Ch. 355) which during commericals is offering an option to listen to the audio for the senate banking committee hearing instead of the commerical audio by choosing "SAP". (They have a small window in lower right of the hearing.)

So from what I can see, the network is offering a second audio channel but I don't see any way to access it or maybe D* isn't transmitting it?

52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the same thing I am seeing. I know it used to work prior to the last update because I used it, but possibly that ability for SAP was removed from the latest update.

One thing I looked at was the banner when you changed channels, there was an option for audio on the green button, but that option is no longer there. I haven't been able to check the SAP on my other receiver, but like you suggest,maybe DirecTV stopped transmitting that additional information.

I just checked my other receiver, which is not a new HD receiver, so I can't get CNBCHD, but the normal CNBC does not have the extra window and shows no secondary audio available.

52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized that if you go to the "Active" page with the weather and hit the INFO button, that the green audio option is displayed. That channel doesn't have secondary audio, but that is the way the button was displayed on all channels just prior to the last update.

Oh well, I guess it will stay that way unless someone decides to change it back..

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
If there is no second audio track coming down, the option is not available. If there is one, you will see the options.

DirecTV doesn't; provide all secondary audio tracks on all stations. Not sure why. Seems to be missing on almost all HD channels.

· Hall Of Fame
2,669 Posts
Oh well, no Mandarin Chinese on my Islanders games anymore!

Just kidding, I switched to SAP once during a game and it did nothing.

· Icon
979 Posts
It's a shame the secondary audio on these channels is so flaky. I found the CNBC HD one by accident one day. Bloomberg TV used to carry New York City's Bloomberg Radio a long time ago, but I dunno if D* dropped it or BTV did.

The Birmingham Fox affiliate carries weather audio and Spanish on their SAP, but it's only on the SD channel. Who knows if it is the affiliate that doesn't transmit secondary audio on their digital channel, or DirecTV that doesn't pick it up.

I would think that channels like HBO and Showtime, who offer Spanish on their SAP channels, would also offer that on their hi-def feeds, but it doesn't seem to be the case. :confused:

(Out here in N Central Mississippi, none of the TV stations even transmit in stereo, much less offer SAP.)

· Hall Of Fame
4,632 Posts
I'm seeing this too. Today I watched a recorded Scrubs (KABC HD DIRECTV feed ch.7) episode. ABC had the little “SAP” graphic at the start of the show. When I hit the yellow button, it did not give me the option to toggle audio tracks. I've seen this issue on several occasions now.

· AllStar
57 Posts
Latest CE
Press yellow button
Scroll down to Audio Options
Select English 2 DD
CNBC SAP option is working for me now.

· AllStar
57 Posts
I also found that you can toggle between audio channels by pressing the green button.
Sorry if this has been posted before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.