DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time lurker,first time poster, but decided to get some help on this problem. I've read all of the other threads regarding connecting the HR20 to the PC, but they don't seem to work for my problem.

I have 2 HR20s, one of which has 0x108 and is connected to my local network, the other 0xFA and is curently stand alone. My network consists of a Linksys BEFSR81 (rev 3.1) router, a Linksys WAP440N wireless access point, a Linksys NSLU2 network storage controller, a Dell laptop ( connects through WAP440), and a desktop PC that connects hard wired to the BEFSR81. The HR20 also is hard wired to the BEFSR81. All of these components are on static IP addresses and talk to each other through a Win XP SP2 home network workgroup. The HR20 is configured for networking and successfully connects to the internet and network as reported by the setup screen. I have verified in the router log tables that the HR20 actually gets through the system to the WAN. The HR20 also appears in the router's IP assignment table.

The problem I have is that neither PC can ping the HR20 and the HR20 is not seen by My Computer or in my network places. The laptop is running XP home and has the same results. I also tried my work computer and got the same results. I have tried dynamic IPs, fixed IPs, powered down teh HR20, RBRs, all to no avail. I have WMP 11.0 installed and it doesn't see it either. I am using AVGs firewall and have disabled it completely (short of removing it from the system) and disabled the Windows firewall also. I even tried several of the other media connect sw talked about in the threads . All services are activated as discussed in the other threads.

Is the reason I can not connect to the HR20 because there is no way to assign it to my work group ( Directtv problem), or do I have some other problem.? Even my network storage has a place to assign it to the WG. Should I be able to ping it even though it's not part of the work group.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
I wasn't able to ping it either (doesn't look like the HR20 responds to ping, not necessarily a bad thing), but you should see it in your arp table if your PC and the HR20 have 'spoken' to each other recently.

"arp -a" in a CMD window...

[edit] Are the HR20s and the PC all in the same subnet?

·
Godfather
340 Posts
The HR-20 will not show up under "My Network Places" as it doesn't have and files to share. I followed the instructions of activating all of the services. Make sure you have files added to your library under WMP 11. Also make sure they are allowed to be shared. My computer still did not see the HR20 after I followed the instructions. I then ran a system test on the HR20 so it would reintroduce itself to my router. It immediately popped up as an unknown device. I set it to allow and all was good.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Meklos said:
I wasn't able to ping it either (doesn't look like the HR20 responds to ping, not necessarily a bad thing), but you should see it in your arp table if your PC and the HR20 have 'spoken' to each other recently.

"arp -a" in a CMD window...

[edit] Are the HR20s and the PC all in the same subnet?
Meklos,

Ill try the arp -a when I get home tonight. Computers and HR20 on the same subnet.

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Computer 192.168.1.xx
HR20 192.168.1 yy

Thanks
azarby

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Twosted said:
The HR-20 will not show up under "My Network Places" as it doesn't have and files to share. I followed the instructions of activating all of the services. Make sure you have files added to your library under WMP 11. Also make sure they are allowed to be shared. My computer still did not see the HR20 after I followed the instructions. I then ran a system test on the HR20 so it would reintroduce itself to my router. It immediately popped up as an unknown device. I set it to allow and all was good.
Twosted.

I have file sharing enabled and in WMP11 I can see all of my pictures and MP3s. I also have a Toshiba 32" LCD that has network capabilites and I can see the files from it with no additionl SW needed. Just sharing enabled. I ran the system test at leat 8-10 times and still no go. I'll check the sharing again and try it tonight. I sure wish I could have put 0x108 on the other HR20, but that unit is in the bedroom and my wife was sleeping and I didn't dare wake her to go through the reload process.

azarby

·
Godfather
253 Posts
Maybe not the right question, but are any of your PCs ViiV AZARBY? I believe that is a requirement for the DigitalRightsManagement.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dpfaunts said:
Maybe not the right question, but are any of your PCs ViiV AZARBY? I believe that is a requirement for the DigitalRightsManagement.
They are not ViiV. VIIV requires Windows Media Player Edition before it will load. Many others in the forum here just have XP pro with WMP11 and are able to transfer files.

azarby

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
I've tried about everything I can find on this and still no HR20 showing up on my Network. I have a Netgear FRW114P and was just wondering if anyone has done anything with the UDP. I read a little about it on the WMP11 site. My Vista that I have can "See the HR20" but I still don't get it to come up on the WMP11 on there either. I"ll keep checking back here so please keep posting more tips. Thanks!

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coffey77 said:
I've tried about everything I can find on this and still no HR20 showing up on my Network. I have a Netgear FRW114P and was just wondering if anyone has done anything with the UDP. I read a little about it on the WMP11 site. My Vista that I have can "See the HR20" but I still don't get it to come up on the WMP11 on there either. I"ll keep checking back here so please keep posting more tips. Thanks!
Coffey77,

I used the suggestions from WMP help and put rules into my firewal to allow TCP and UDP access to the specified ports. Still no help. I even went to add/remove Windows component and made sure the UPnP user inerface was enabled and no changes.

I wish there was a way to log internal intranet accesses to see if the HR20 even tries to access the PC. My router logging only shows external ins adn outs.

azarby

·
2,533 Posts
Thanks Az, I did some of that myself and got the same thing you did. Anyone have luck uninstalling/reinstalling WMP11? That may be the next step.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coffey77 said:
Thanks Az, I did some of that myself and got the same thing you did. Anyone have luck uninstalling/reinstalling WMP11? That may be the next step.
Cofey77,

I decided to abandon the WMP11 route and installed Twonky Media. I now have picture viewing capbility. I just need to put the audio converter files in the correct directory and hopefully I'll be playing music. I can see all of the MP3s, just need to get them into the proper format.

If anyone makes any progress on the WMP11 process, let us know. This has to be a SW problem, System Service or firewall settings problem.

Thanks,
azarby

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
azarby said:
Cofey77,

I decided to abandon the WMP11 route and installed Twonky Media. I now have picture viewing capability. I just need to put the audio converter files in the correct directory and hopefully I'll be playing music. I can see all of the MP3s, just need to get them into the proper format.

If anyone makes any progress on the WMP11 process, let us know. This has to be a SW problem, System Service or firewall settings problem.

Thanks,
azarby
Well I think I just found why my WMP11 is not streaming daa to the HR20. I have an Intel system that I put together from bare bones. Last night I was having a problem , so I ended up swapping my Pentium D 3.4 Ghz dual core processor for my standard Pentium4 3.5 Ghz processor with hyper-threading. Guess what, WMP11 was now streaming data to the two HR20s. At the time, I didn't connect the two things as being related. Today after doing some system cleanup, I reinstalled the dual core Pentium D and as you can probably surmise, WMP11 no longer streamed any data. To make a long story short, after a lot of troubleshooting, I reinstalled the Pentium 4 processor with hyper-threading and WMP11 is working again.

How many of you that are having WMP11 problems have dual core processors installed. My guess is that Microsoft has a problem in their interrupt handling routines that allow a interrupt to be handled by one core , but not pass the service vector back to the other core. I have seen this on other programs in the past and the problems were corrected with a patch or new release.

Regards
azarby

·
2,533 Posts
azarby said:
How many of you that are having WMP11 problems have dual core processors installed. My guess is that Microsoft has a problem in their interrupt handling routines that allow a interrupt to be handled by one core , but not pass the service vector back to the other core. I have seen this on other programs in the past and the problems were corrected with a patch or new release.

Regards
azarby
My trouble is with an AMD FX-57. Could be something to do with it. I may try that Twonky-vision.:rolleyes:

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coffey77 said:
My trouble is with an AMD FX-57. Could be something to do with it. I may try that Twonky-vision.:rolleyes:
I have had both on my system and Twonkey works, but it is really slow compared to WMP11. WMP11 gives me about 5 seconds per picture and Twonkey is usually 10-15 and sometimes as long as 30.

azarby

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.