DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Read a majority of the threads here...

You will see people with issues and people without issues.
Only you can decide if you want to continue with the install or not, given the information available.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,178 Posts
Depends on if you don't mind essentially being a beta tester. I have enjoyed it and have had a few problems but was expecting it. If you want a nearly perfect HD-DVR, request an HR10-250 until the HR20 is fully ready.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
I've only had it for 3 days now, so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer yet, but I'd say if you have a back up DVR, then go ahead. If not and this will be you only DVR, then wait.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Capmeister said:
Depends on if you don't mind essentially being a beta tester. I have enjoyed it and have had a few problems but was expecting it. If you want a nearly perfect HD-DVR, request an HR10-250 until the HR20 is fully ready.
i have the hr10 already it works great i just tired of switching back and forth from the hr10 and the h20. thanks for the info

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Shoot - you may have no choice about waiting. I sure didn't when my install was cancelled, 30 minutes after the end of my install window. Oh well. Maybe they'll have more this weekend at my next appointment.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,178 Posts
I have an HR10 as well. I use it as my main DVR. Once the HR20's bugs are worked out and a few more features tweaked, it will be an excellent DVR.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
upsfeedr said:
im supposed to have it installed today. should i wait awhile to have have it innstalled? im hearing of a lot of bugs. any help thanks
If you can tolerate some bugs and work through the fixes and the DVR isn't "mission critical" for you, then sure go ahead.

Don't do it if you expect it to be perfect right now, need OTA right now, or can't tolerate the fixing/updating/reporting bugs process.

Mine has been VERY good, only 3 problems (very minor ones) in coming up on 3 weeks. I don't have MPEG-4/HD Local channels, so I don't see some of the problems others are having.

·
Legend
127 Posts
upsfeedr said:
im supposed to have it installed today. should i wait awhile to have have it innstalled? im hearing of a lot of bugs. any help thanks
I would say to ask yourself "How will my wife deal with all of the problems?"

I agree with Capmeister, Its not a problem for me (working through all the bugs) but boy is my wife PO'd.;)

·
AllStar
59 Posts
upsfeedr said:
i have the hr10 already it works great i just tired of switching back and forth from the hr10 and the h20. thanks for the info
I'm guessing that the HR20 is back ordered. The installer that installed mine mentioned that he had to cancel installs due to the unit being back ordered. He also said that there was a waiting list of about 200 people (Columbus, OH), so I feel pretty lucky to have mine installed the first time.

As others have said, there are some bugs to be worked out. I'm only dealing with two bugs overall but am still pretty happy with the unit. You'll have to keep a pretty open mind and be forgiving with the unit. Oh, and expect to read/post on the forms since the unit comes with almost no documentation. :mad:

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
nFavor said:
I'm guessing that the HR20 is back ordered. The installer that installed mine mentioned that he had to cancel installs due to the unit being back ordered. He also said that there was a waiting list of about 200 people (Columbus, OH), so I feel pretty lucky to have mine installed the first time.

As others have said, there are some bugs to be worked out. I'm only dealing with two bugs overall but am still pretty happy with the unit. You'll have to keep a pretty open mind and be forgiving with the unit. Oh, and expect to read/post on the forms since the unit comes with almost no documentation. :mad:
I don't know about you but I got a users manual with the HR20 that showed how to hook everything up and explained all the features. I haven't had any difficulty setting it up or understanding how it operates.

What's missing ? What did you expect to get but didn't get ? Did your installed neglect to leave you the manual ?

·
AllStar
59 Posts
glennb said:
I don't know about you but I got a users manual with the HR20 that showed how to hook everything up and explained all the features. I haven't had any difficulty setting it up or understanding how it operates.

What's missing ? What did you expect to get but didn't get ? Did your installed neglect to leave you the manual ?
It doesn't explain how the series work. I know it works differently from the Tivo, but I can't tell you exactly how. I don't think it explained the 30 second skip feature. It doesn't explain what all of the on screen icons mean. (the conflict icon specifically). It doesn't explain how to resolve conflicts or that if you make changes in the prioritizer they don't take effect immediately.

Those are issues off the top of my head. I'm sure I could list more. Sure the manual covers the very basics but not much past it. You'd think that solving a recording conflict would be common enough to mention it but it wasn't in either the quick start guide or the manual that I had.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Just hooked mine up last Thursday. I guess I'm lucky, it works like a charm. I love it, and once the OTA is enabled, I'll really love it. Not sure I understand the complaints around the DVR recording features. It's a piece of cake, and the TV Guide is so much faster than TiVo.

So, thumbs up from me:D .

-Peter

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marty B said:
I would say to ask yourself "How will my wife deal with all of the problems?"

I agree with Capmeister, Its not a problem for me (working through all the bugs) but boy is my wife PO'd.;)
ya i asked myself that then i cancelled, ill just wait awhile

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.