Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the HR20 installed today.

I have read about all the different software updates to fix bugs, etc.

When I hook up my HR20 today, will one software patch fixall of the current problems or will it have to go through multiple software updates to catch up to the most recent update?

Also, Directv charged me $299 for the HR20.

Isn't there a better price or a rebate available?

Thanks for the info!

WKP

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Software updates are cumulative.

No rebates that I've heard. Only way to get a lower price is try to get a deal with the CSR when you order it.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
When your HR20 is activated, it will automatically detect that a new software version is available, then download and install it when you're not using the box (middle of the night usually). However, the installer SHOULD force the update for you as part of the setup process. One update will take care of it and catch you up.

In terms of price, many of us got better deals by calling Customer Retention to place our orders. There's a very long thread on the deals people got in the Installation sub-forum.

·
Legend
219 Posts
Most likely, you will get a series of updates. I did. The most current is version "0xe3. The entire HR20 neighborhood is awaiting the OTA activation. You can log the updates on your unit by noting the versions in setup menu and by checking this forum.

·
Godfather
440 Posts
wkp1 said:

I have read about all the different software updates to fix bugs, etc.

When I hook up my HR20 today, will one software patch fixall of the current problems or will it have to go through multiple software updates to catch up to the most recent update?

Also, Directv charged me $299 for the HR20.

Thanks for the info!

WKP
The latest software will download automatically pretty quick after the unit is up and running. It will not fix all the problems, but, the software is a whole lot better than it was a month ago. We had 1 problem since the last software update, and it was nothing that required a reset or anything like that. Most all the problems anyway have to do with the Mpeg-4 locals and HDMI hookups it seems like.
No rebates on the HR20, and the prices paid are kinda like what you can best negotiate with D*. We paid $166.00, and got several programming credits to ultimately make the cost $54.00. Strange numbers I know, but that's what it works out to.
Also do ALOT of reading on this forum concerning HR20 facts and shortcuts. That will help a bunch.......

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
hdfan01 said:
Most likely, you will get a series of updates. I did.
You've probably had yours for a while and have received the updates as they have been released. If you hooked up a brand new HR20 with the original factory software it only requires a single update for the latest software.

·
AllStar
77 Posts
wkp1 said:

............ Also, Directv charged me $299 for the HR20.

Thanks for the info!

WKP
Did you call Customer Retention when ordering and negotiate the price. I know there are better deals available.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
The whole price on the HR20 has to do with how much you spend a month with DTV. If you are a Basic subscriber, you'll pay full price for the receiver, (most likely). However, if you have the moste expensive Pkg. and spen lots of money on Sports Pkg's and PPV's, you'll most likely get it for free. I was somewhere inbetween and got $100 off. They figure, (DTV), they'll get more than the price of the receiver over the New 2 year contract you have with them with the spending habits you have demonstrated over the past few years. In the end, we all pay the same. Just a thought.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
bubbadawg said:
I would consider my monthly bill to be average @ $80/mo. The HR20 cost me $50 plus I got some monthly discounts on the packages. I have been with DTV 7 years.
Under that New Contract, you and I, in the end will pay the same. It's not Rocket Science.

·
AllStar
77 Posts
325xia said:
Under that New Contract, you and I, in the end will pay the same. It's not Rocket Science.
Ok, unless you are paying less than my monthly bill I don't know how we can be paying the same in the end. If I am getting $25/mo in discounts for 9 months and only paid $50 for the unit, how can we pay the same in the end? You have already stated that you paid $199 for the HR20.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
bubbadawg said:
Ok, unless you are paying less than my monthly bill I don't know how we can be paying the same in the end. If I am getting $25/mo in discounts for 9 months and only paid $50 for the unit, how can we pay the same in the end? You have already stated that you paid $199 for the HR20.
Yes, my monthly bill is a lot less than yours. Plus, $22 of credit each month toward my bill for 12 mos. Two rescheduling credits, (not my fault), equals another $40. So, we can all get these deals. DTV is making a lot, and I mean a lot of money off us. It's all in the way it totals-up in the end. That's the part people forget to look at. What it's costing YOU in the end. That receiver is more than paid for. Either now, or the end of your contract.

... and one more thing. You are leasing this receiver. So, that's another monthly expense on something you don't own!

·
AllStar
96 Posts
LameLefty said:
When your HR20 is activated, it will automatically detect that a new software version is available, then download and install it when you're not using the box (middle of the night usually). However, the installer SHOULD force the update for you as part of the setup process. One update will take care of it and catch you up.

I am getting a second HR20 box this week to use on my second TV. The installer already ran the cables for me. All I have to do is connect it all and activate the new box.

My question is should I force the update like an installer would. If so, what do I do? I believe when I got the first one installed the installer used my remote to punch in a five digit code.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
ruesch37 said:
My question is should I force the update like an installer would. If so, what do I do? I believe when I got the first one installed the installer used my remote to punch in a five digit code.
Hit 0-2-4-6-8 on the remote when the HR20 is first booting up to force a download. The HR20 should detect that a software update is available after a few minutes if you don't force it, so it's not completely necessary.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw a rebate offer at either Best Buy or Circuit City (I was in both stores) a few days ago, bringing the price down to $199. I'm not sure if there was any special requirements to get the rebate, or if it came from D* or the store itself. Neither store mentions a rebate online.

The best deals come from negotiating with D*, as others have said.

·
Godfather
440 Posts
It'll do the software update by itself within a few minutes after commissioning. Don't need to force anything.
Remember!! Don't plug the electrical cord in until all the other cables are hooked up. Do that last of all. Then all should be ok............

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
bobojay said:
It'll do the software update by itself within a few minutes after commissioning. Don't need to force anything.
Remember!! Don't plug the electrical cord in until all the other cables are hooked up. Do that last of all. Then all should be ok............
That's exactly what happened in my case. The installer connected the coax and then the optical and component cables I'd had stretched out and ready (already connected to my AV receiver and ready to go), then just plugged in the box. Before it even got to the guided setup process it detected new software, downloaded and installed it, and rebooted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.