DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an aggravating and recurring problem that has been with my HR20 for weeks.

The clock in my HR20 is 27 seconds off. So, when I go to watch a recorded program, 27 seconds of show have passed by the time the recording starts. I know as a temporary fix I can pad show start times by one minute, but sooner or later that will cause a program conflict between other shows I want or need. I called a gal at D* and she sounded somewhat clueless and didn't understand why I just didn't program everything to start early.

BTW, I have had to already do a lot of red button resets over time and that does not help resolve the problem.

So, can one of our resident geniuses figure out how I get my system clock within a second or two of real time to solve this problem? No one has yet been able to tell me how the HR20, or the D* system, synchronize time.

Thanks.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
I thought someone said that if they changed the Daylight Savings Time setting that it would go out and get an update for the clock. You can then change it back. I know that AZ doesn't do DST, but you can probably just wait a day or two and then switch it back to NO.

· ke6cdn
424 Posts
Also try toggling time zones.

· Legend
200 Posts
Does anyone know if D* is working on this? The changing of time zones, turning DST on and off, are only temp fixes. The time slowly goes off over time.

· Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an atomic clock. I then also made my Windows XP synchronize. Both of them agreed within a second. I then set my watch to the Windows time to the second. I then made the changes, brought up the Channel Guide, waited for the minute to rollover and checked the watch.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
Okay. Yeah I was using the atomic clock online and at first I was hitting info repeatedly until I saw it change. Oddly enough, that clock was off by over a minute. Then I started hitting play repeatedly (caught up to live obviously) and that was different from the header time. And guess what, that time was off by 27 seconds too!

· Legend
205 Posts
SFS97 said:
How is the time controled?

Just for reference, mine is 3 sec behind.
If it is like the DirecTiVo, it uses the average of the downlink times of the transponders you are tuned too. Each transponder could have a different time.

A few years ago one of the transponders downlink times drifted about a minute and was screwing up alot of DirecTiVo recordings. It took over a month and some internal contacts to get the time fixed. Even since then DirecTV seems to keep the times more accurate.

· Godfather
304 Posts
pgiralt (in the last post of the other thread) asked the same exact question as asked here: Earl nor anyone else replied - probably b/c no one knows the answer or is interested enough to ask their contacts I guess.

It appears the only "fix" right now is to do what is described in both threads: switching your time setting around, and it usually corrects the clock to with in around 3 seconds or so...

good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.