DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, basically my question is will i be abel to use my standard DVI (NO HDCP) with the Hr20? Directv called me up today and i got it for free but I asked them if I was abel to connect it with the HDMI to DVI cable to my TV wich has DVI but is not HDCP complient and they said yes. Now I come to you guys since you guys know more about thier product then the call center employees. I know for a fact my TV is not HDCP complient per the manufacture, but i am abel to use my OTA LG-3510a reciver DVI to DVI for standard OTA HD Tv.

· Godfather
336 Posts
I currently have my HR20 connected via a Monster Cable M400 HDMI to DVI cable to my tv and everything works just fine. (knock on wood)

· Godfather
328 Posts
My guess is that it will work out of the receivers hdmi to the dvi on your tv, using the hdmi to dvi adapter. If not try the component video. I think that the providers send some type of encryption to enable the hdcp but most providers have not enabled any programing yet. Maybe somelse can verify.

All I know is that the above set up works with my non-hdcp tv.

Rob

· Legend
156 Posts
Yes, you simply need an HDMI to DVI cable.

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
Carbon said:
I currently have my HR20 connected via a Monster Cable M400 HDMI to DVI cable to my tv and everything works just fine. (knock on wood)
Good thing you got the Monster Cable. Wouldn't want any of those bits crashing into any oxygen in the cable or even worse, not getting onto the cable due to the non-gold connectors!

· Godfather
336 Posts
Jeremy W said:
Good thing you got the Monster Cable. Wouldn't want any of those bits crashing into any oxygen in the cable or even worse, not getting onto the cable due to the non-gold connectors!
Yeah I got it on ebay for $20.00, I like the look of the cables more than the performance.

· Legend
247 Posts
The hdmi to dvi cable I got at monoprice is working great. No problems thus far.

· Banned
38 Posts
Carbon said:
Same here (works great for me)

· DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
B.A.T.S said:
I just purchase a Ultra 600 Monster HDMI to DVI cable from Best Buy @ $99.99 - Will this make a difference in my PQ or will I be wasting my Money??
Sorry to say but there is no difference. Since its digital, it either works or doesnt. Take it back and use monoprice. Those work just the same.

· Mentor
42 Posts
brewer4 said:
Sorry to say but there is no difference. Since its digital, it either works or doesnt. Take it back and use monoprice. Those work just the same.
Thanks brewer4, looks like I'll be going to Best Buy for a return. What about PQ with component cables compared to HDMI/DVI??

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,475 Posts
Unlike most who responded, I'm quite concerned about your lack of HDCP. I would guess that it would not work because there is nothing out there to respond to the challenge. I didn't see any responses that specifically mentioned that they didn't have HDCP support in their TV. HDCP was available on many (if not most) DVI connected televisions, so you really need to hear from someone who is certain that their TV doesn't support copy protection.

Even if there isn't any substantial content that is protected, there have been a number of issues with even HDMI connected televisions that suggests that the HR20 checks up front to see whether there is a compliant TV connected.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
runopenloop said:
I have my HR20 connected to my Samsung DLP set with a monoprice HDMI->DVI cable. Works fine. What TV do you have? It you identify it, perhaps someone here has the same setup.
I have a Digimate 26" LCD I know its a cheap unknown brand but i picked it up for new for $500 and the picture quality @1080i is Sharp and colors are Deep. I've seen this TV setup next to a Sharp Aquos and This had a better picture. Now the only downside to this set is that it dose not have HDMI or support HDCP.

here is the link to the manufactures
emiglobal.com/lcd/dgl26.html

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
It'll work just fine. Just know that DirecTV may in the future start requiring HDCP on certain content, and if/when that ever happens your resolution on that content would be constrained to 480p.

I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.