DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question I am hoping someone here might be able to assist with. I am having my Sony HD 300 unit replaced this week with the new HR20 DVR. My HD300 allows me to send the (Out to TV) "Coax" signal straight into the wall where it enters my existing cable network. I am then able to view my Satellite signal on channel 3 of all Tv's in my house with my signal combiner. My problem now is that this new HR20 DVR does not seem to have a coax output that I can use in a similar configuration. Is there another method with this HR20 to get that video and audio signal into the wall over a coax cable? I am not sure if I can run seperate video and audio into another device which does have a coax out. Maybe my old VCR. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Directv technical support was not very helpful. Thanks.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
theratpatrol said:
Yeah, a VCR might work. You can also try using an RF modulator, you can find them at Radio Shack, Wal-Mart or Target. Just take the composite out (yellow/red/white) of the HR20 into the RF modulator, then run the coax cable from the RF modulator into the wall jack. It should work.
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I was on the right track but after a little research I think the RF modulator will be my best solution. I checked my VCR and it does not have S-video. So I will make sure I get an RF modulator with an S-video input. This should get me a better quality video than the Composite jacks. Now I will just try to figure out which brand RF modulator is rated best.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed Campbell said:
My experience is that you're only going to be able to move SD, this way -- in case you're hoping for HD, as well. Been using this since I got my HR10 to move signal to the bedroom TV -- since the HR10 didn't have a coax out.

And don't repeat my really dumb mistake -- where I frustrated myself into thinking I had a bad RF unit out of the box -- be certain your output is set to 480i before you try to check the feed to your other TV's.

I forgot to do that and went through all sorts of attempts [Radio Shack version] before I simply started all over again. That particular unit wouldn't even turn on unless it had 480i input.

Of course, now that I'm saying this -- I wonder if you can get a modulator w/component in -- and move HD that way? The HR10 wouldn't allow both HDMI and component on at the same time.
I am only concerned with bringing an SD signal out of the HR20 into my home cable network. This way I can utilize the RF remote on this unit and view my satellite and now recorded programming on all TV's in the house. I plan to go to a second HD receiver whenever I purchase another HD TV. I know this HR20 unit is supposed to allow all outputs to be active at once. But I don't believe it is possible to run another component signal out to get a second HD output. Especially when I am trying to send the signal to multiple rooms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.