DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first H20-100 to replace an old Sony B3. After using the H20, my HR20's GUI/menu performance seems even more pathetic than I had originally thought. The H20 is blazing fast. It has no useless animations and responds almost immediately to button presses. Is there any chance the HR20 will ever approach the performance of the H20?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
My H20-600 also has a faster guide than my HR20, although not that much faster. However I have read that the H20-100 has a faster guide than the H20-600.

My guess as to the speed difference between the H20 guide and the HR20 guide is that the HR20 probably queries the scheduler on each screen it displays. This way it knows when to show a recording or SL icon in the guide. I assume that the scheduler data is stored on the hard drive instead of in memory, so there is a delay while the HR20 reads the hard drive for this info.

·
Legend
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PoitNarf said:
My H20-600 also has a faster guide than my HR20, although not that much faster. However I have read that the H20-100 has a faster guide than the H20-600.

My guess as to the speed difference between the H20 guide and the HR20 guide is that the HR20 probably queries the scheduler on each screen it displays. This way it knows when to show a recording or SL icon in the guide. I assume that the scheduler data is stored on the hard drive instead of in memory, so there is a delay while the HR20 reads the hard drive for this info.
I think a more significant part of the delay is just the animation. The H20 does not animate the scrolling. I'll see if I can make a video of both to show the difference. It is really night and day.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
pgiralt said:
I think a more significant part of the delay is just the animation. The H20 does not animate the scrolling. I'll see if I can make a video of both to show the difference. It is really night and day.
I am not so certain it is. If the animation was such a large performance hit to the guide I would guess they would get rid of it or at least make it an option. We can only compare the H20 and HR20 so far; the GUI looks similar, but they are entirely different boxes.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I am not so certain it is. If the animation was such a large performance hit to the guide I would guess they would get rid of it or at least make it an option. We can only compare the H20 and HR20 so far; the GUI looks similar, but they are entirely different boxes.
And the GUI code is not the same on both systems.
They may look the same, but they are not the same underneath (not a copy of the H20 or R15 menu code).

So yes, can it improve... sure.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
And the GUI code is not the same on both systems.
They may look the same, but they are not the same underneath (not a copy of the H20 or R15 menu code).

So yes, can it improve... sure.
Earl, do you think I'm on the right track with my assumptions on the hard drive getting queried each time the guide screen changes?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Earl, do you think I'm on the right track with my assumptions on the hard drive getting queried each time the guide screen changes?
I really don't know.
It is certainly "one" possibility; but as a software developer I can think of a lot of different ways they could be doing things there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.