DBSTalk Forum banner

HR20 vs HR 21, HR 22, HR23 and HR24-whats the diff? what to do?

17K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  RunnerFL 
#1 ·
what is the difference between all the models? i have an hr 20-700 in my bedroom and living room, Kids have an hr21 and hr22 in their rooms, we have been on whole home for a while using direct connect internet wire into each one from the router.

Wanted to upgrade my hr20 in the living room to the new hr24, mainly for looks but hopefully functionality as mine gets slow a lot as most of them do, and to just have new equip.

ordered a new one from DTV, they mailed me an HR21, Called back, they said to try and get the HR24 they promised, have a tech come out. He just left, but only had HR22 on his truck. he called his boss and i guess the boss has some so he may come back later today he said if they send him, or i reschedule.

Should i just keep what i have-the hr20, or upgrade and hold out for the hr24, or just take any model they have?

#2 ·
This thread will give you in-depth information on each of the DVRs:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=117744

In summary though, the HR20 and HR21 have 320GB HDDs compared to the HR23 and HR24, which have 500GB HDDs. There is no HR22. The HR23 has wide band converters built-in so if you have a legacy setup (2 cables to a DVR to use both tuners), you don't need the BBC adapters. The HR24 has DECA built-in, so if you are using DECA for Whole Home, you don't need an external DECA. The HR24 is also the fastest of the receivers and in my case responds significantly quicker than my other DVR.

- Merg

#3 ·
The Merg said:
This thread will give you in-depth information on each of the DVRs:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=117744

In summary though, the HR20 and HR21 have 320GB HDDs compared to the HR23 and HR24, which have 500GB HDDs. There is no HR22. The HR23 has wide band converters built-in so if you have a legacy setup (2 cables to a DVR to use both tuners), you don't need the BBC adapters. The HR24 has DECA built-in, so if you are using DECA for Whole Home, you don't need an external DECA. The HR24 is also the fastest of the receivers and in my case responds significantly quicker than my other DVR.

- Merg
There are two HR22s, the HR22-100 and the rarely seen HR22-200.

Rich

#4 ·
the tech just came back and installed an HR24-500 in place of one of my HR20-700's. So far seems to be nice. Have to wait for guide to download to get my season passes back in. We plugged in the ethernet wire and have the whole home working as before. he stated there is a new way to do, which would require him to put in a new multi-switch and do some other things to all the hd-dvr's we have, but i said if it works hard wired to the internet, we can leave it that way and it does. He had an issue with it receiving signal on a transponder and could not continue, so he adjusted the dish which did not fix it so he replaced the LNB and it worked fine after that, so i guess that solved another issue i had and didnt know about.

Will this box not go to 1080p unless its a 1080p program? we have a 1080p tv and my harman-kardon receiver upgrades the signal to 1080p as well, but the box only lights up to 1080i, even though when i test it, it says it will receive that signal.

any other tricks i need to know about with this new box?

#7 ·
"Rich" said:
There are two HR22s, the HR22-100 and the rarely seen HR22-200.

Rich
I think I was thinking of the H22 when I typed that. :)

The HR22 has a 500GB HDD.

- Merg

#15 ·
miesque1127 said:
Just got WHS and On Demand.

I have 2 HR 21 DVRs, and they brought me a HR-24 for the back room. Tat TV is rarely used, would you suggest I use the HR-24 in a room that gets more use??

Is it ok for me to disconnect and swap the DVRs without screwing anything up??
You should be able to swap without any issues. You should keep the HR21 and its DECA together when moving it (the HR24 does not need a DECA).

#17 ·
"djr5899" said:
Is there any information on this site about the HR22-100? I just got a 2nd HD TV in my home, and they sent me an HR22-100 to replace my SD DVR.
Same as the HR22s mentioned in this thread. For this model, the -100 is irrelevant other than differentiating manufacturer. Bigger hard drive than your 20, no OTA, has 3D support.

#20 ·
dpeters11 said:
In case it matters, I believe it's the HR24-500 that uses a different colorspace than the others. Some have had to make adjustments to their calibration for it. It uses RGB, the others use YCrCb.
Is there a thread with a list of colorspace for each of the Directv DVRs?

It makes no sense that the HR24 would have RGB (which is analog) colorspace. This would also defeat what they have tried to do on the 3D Channels making sure the equipment is 3D Compatiable (in fact, I do not believe the 3D SbS units will even accept analog).

Perhaps you are thinking about the HR20s having a different colorspace (RGB Analog) and that is why they could not work with 3D?

You might remember the first Computer Video Cards that had DVI output usually also had a DVI to RGB adapter. Thats why those worked - because the RGB coming out of the early Video Cards was Analog and using RGB colorspace. As most of the HDMI outputs are now digital and using Digital YPbPr Colorspace (either 4:2:2 or 4:4:4), thats why an RGB adapter will get you nothing on the newer units.

#21 ·
No, its the HR24-500 that has RGB colorspace. All the rest have YCrCb. RGB colorspace isnt to be confused with the analog RGB outputs.

Y′CbCr is not an absolute color space; rather, it is a way of encoding RGB information. The actual color displayed depends on the actual RGB primaries used to display the signal. Therefore a value expressed as Y′CbCr is predictable only if standard RGB primary chromaticities are used.

An RGB color space is any additive color space based on the RGB color model. A particular RGB color space is defined by the three chromaticities of the red, green, and blue additive primaries, and can produce any chromaticity that is the triangle defined by those primary colors.

They both produce the same results, but I believe the RGB colorspace in digital has a black level higher than 0, so YCrCb might be able to produce a few more colors? Not sure on that. Most of my higher end video equipment uses YCrCb, but the cheaper stuff (FTA satellite receiver for example) also uses RGB. My video processor converts it all to YCrCb before sending it to the monitor.

As for the video cards, there are two signals present, DVId and DVIa on the same connector. One is analog, one digital. If you had a straight DVI-D video card, the DVI to RGB adapters would not work on them.

#22 ·
To put it more simply, in digital video, each reproducable color has a unique numerical value (size being determined by sampling depth, usually 24 or 32 bits). The difference between RGB and YCrCb is that slightly different colors are assigned to a given value. Hence, to insure most accurate reproduction, a display needs a different calibration for RGB than for YCrCb.

#23 ·
Titan25 said:
To put it more simply, in digital video, each reproducable color has a unique numerical value (size being determined by sampling depth, usually 24 or 32 bits). The difference between RGB and YCrCb is that slightly different colors are assigned to a given value. Hence, to insure most accurate reproduction, a display needs a different calibration for RGB than for YCrCb.
Most noticeable is/are the black levels.

#26 ·
disneyfun1 said:
what is the difference between all the models? i have an hr 20-700 in my bedroom and living room, Kids have an hr21 and hr22 in their rooms, we have been on whole home for a while using direct connect internet wire into each one from the router.

Wanted to upgrade my hr20 in the living room to the new hr24, mainly for looks but hopefully functionality as mine gets slow a lot as most of them do, and to just have new equip.

ordered a new one from DTV, they mailed me an HR21, Called back, they said to try and get the HR24 they promised, have a tech come out. He just left, but only had HR22 on his truck. he called his boss and i guess the boss has some so he may come back later today he said if they send him, or i reschedule.

Should i just keep what i have-the hr20, or upgrade and hold out for the hr24, or just take any model they have?
I like this link for comparing the DVR models.
http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/DVR FAQ.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.