DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I made the jump from Directv to Verizon FIOS, mainly so that I could record HD without dropping $300 - $400 on a new receiver, plus the $10/month HD programming package with Directv. So now, I'm thrilled to be able to record HD, but not happy with the new DVRs interface & features (although On Demand is a nice plus for the kids shows). I thought it would be an easier adjustment from Tivo to something else. Namely, I mostly miss dual live buffers, 30-sec skip, and FF/RW overshoot compensation, in that order. Wife flat out hates the new DVR.

So I go to cancel Directv after 4+ years and was surprised to hear the retention guy offer a $250 credit towards an HR20, plus a year's worth of free HD programming. Was a good enough offer to make me not cancel just yet. But I'm hearing that the new HR20's interface and features sound a lot like what I have with FIOS now.

Wanted to check with the experts here to find out more info. Of course the retention guy went on & on about soon Directv will have more HD content than anyone else, and new features are being added to the HR20 very often, etc. So how true is this? What new features will be added? Anyone else had experience with FIOS and the HR20 that can offer pros / cons?

Thanks.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
munangst said:
Which DVR is Verizon using? The Motorola 6412?
I actually have the 6416. Thanks for the info. Another question: how big is the HR20's hard drive? The Motorola 6416 is only 160GM (I think)--I run out of space after about 18 hrs of HD content. Every Sunday, I basically max out the drive with football. But Verizon does say that we'll soon be able to hook up external storage via the firewire or USB ports. We'll see about that. . .

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Mike. I did find that thread earlier, but I thought it was mentioned that there was a specific forum as opposed to a 1000+ post thread. Guess I'll start reading :lol: .

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, if any of you Directv folks are considering switching to Verizon FIOS and have questions about their current offerings & equipment, feel free to ask--I'll do my best to answer with what I know. Still pretty new to the FIOS service though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.