·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't multi task well.
Its full of 'undocumented features'.
Its buggy as all get out.
It needs a reboot early and often.

So, they've fixed my signal problem, but I'm still seeing the following.

Ping FF button

Searching for Satellite on 2 screen.--Side note, does anyone know how to get rid of this other than using my new best friend, the red reset button?

Missed recordings.--This is a killer. My wife catches up on her programs early in the evening and if we're not paying attention and the 8:00 shows don't start recording, I hear about the 'stupid box isn't working again'.

Bad recordings where I only see a black screen and can't FF play or anything.

Box hanging on one channel w/o bing able to change channels, pause, record or anything.

Sound then picture dropping out for a few seconds.

My wife is about to throw the thing out the window... I hope the latest SW upgrade fixes these issues. I'm considering doing a reset every evening after the news just to make sure the thing is fresh and happy going into prime time. Maybe they can put in a scheduled reboot function. :D

Z

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
ZDawg said:

Ping FF button

Searching for Satellite on 2 screen.--Side note, does anyone know how to get rid of this other than using my new best friend, the red reset button?

Missed recordings.--This is a killer. My wife catches up on her programs early in the evening and if we're not paying attention and the 8:00 shows don't start recording, I hear about the 'stupid box isn't working again'.

Box hanging on one channel w/o bing able to change channels, pause, record or anything.

My wife is about to throw the thing out the window... I hope the latest SW upgrade fixes these issues. I'm considering doing a reset every evening after the news just to make sure the thing is fresh and happy going into prime time. Maybe they can put in a scheduled reboot function. :D

Z
Amen. Only instead of a black screen, mine is grey.

To those who are having no problems and "it works perfectly - stop whining!!"... stop dismissing the hoards of us that ARE having problems. It's getting extremely annoying. When you go to the doctor with chest pains, how well would it go over if all he said was "well I feel great, so stop whining"?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Stable here: (no reboots required/no freezes), a few minor issues, otherwise quite servicable. It is very hard to make generalizations about this box (and everything connected to it). Those who have problems are plagued by them. Those who don't, have trouble figuring out what is going on with those who do.

Same internal hardware and software, so it's has to be usage patterns that cause new bugs to surface, or different external inputs to the box (MPEG-4 or not). This assumes the dish/etc are ok.

Again, this box is nothing like Win 3.1.....3.1 didn't work for anyone.

·
Legend
228 Posts
hasan said:
.....3.1 didn't work for anyone.
3.1 worked GREAT for me!:hurah:

(....sorry, couldn't resist...)

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Those who have problems are plagued by them. Those who don't, have trouble figuring out what is going on with those who do.
Sounds like bad hardware, doesn't it? Just because these boxes are all made by the same factory with the same design specifications doesn't mean that all the internal components are identical - different parts can be sourced from several (maybe dozens) of manufacturers. Each manufacturer of components builds and ships in batches of dozens, hundreds, even thousands of units. The potential for bad or only marginally-acceptable parts is very high - if per-unit QA testing isn't very thorough (and it's probably not) you'll get symptoms a lot like this.

Also factor in locality - my box is very stable, has never needed a reset, never become unresponsive and we've had just a few trick-play glitches. But then again, I don't see a rash of complaints from the Nashville area - our metro area has a population the size of Boston's (just spread out over a larger area) but not a lot of complaints from here. I honestly think lots of problems are caused by error-strewn MPEG4 streams causing system stability issues - good "clean" streams means fewer problems overall. Should the hardware and software do a better job at catching these errors before they poison the box? Yes, definitely. But I think that these two reasons have a lot to do with why some people have no problems to speak of, and others have a never-ending plague of issues.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
GeoffQ said:
My father is still running 3.11
I'm still using my Atari 800. :hurah:

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first PC was a Tandy 1000 and in school, I learned on a TRS80, so I've been in the game a fair number of years. I don't pretend to know a lot about how the MPEG-4 stream affects this or that, but I can tell the difference between a hardware error and a software error. A ping FF button, for example, isn't a hardware error. I'm going to monitor this board until I see a dramatic decrease in troubles with the HR20, then if I'm still seeing issues, I'll get a new box. Until then, I'm going with, there can't be that many bad boxes out there and lets see what their SW fixes can improve.

Z

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Blitz68 said:
My HR20 is awesome NO problems.

This is one outstanding piece of equipment.
jmeek1 said:
Amen. Only instead of a black screen, mine is grey.

To those who are having no problems and "it works perfectly - stop whining!!"... stop dismissing the hoards of us that ARE having problems. It's getting extremely annoying. When you go to the doctor with chest pains, how well would it go over if all he said was "well I feel great, so stop whining"?
To Jmeek....

Blitz didn't say anything about stop whining...

No One is dismissing that people are having issues, and the unit still needs work.

It is just as fair for someone to say they are NOT having problems, as it is for someone to say they are.

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
ZDawg,
I got rid of the "searching for sat" by removing the B band converters at the back of the receiver and connecting the cables directly. They aren't yet neccesary.
Lumspond

ZDawg said:

Ping FF button

Z

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
LameLefty said:
Sounds like bad hardware, doesn't it?
I don't know that this is the case or not, but you are right that it's a possibility. Years ago I was working at a print shop that used some of the high end Xerox machines. We'd had the machines 3 or 4 years, without any problems, when suddenly one part in the machine suddenly started failing left and right. This was a big component of the machine that we had never had a problem with and suddenly we had the same part fail 6 or 8 times within a couple of month period. It was particularly frustrating because when the part failed, it was because of a bearing that basically exploded, and you'd get bearing grease all over the inside of the machine and it corrupted a bunch of stuff in there and it was a half a day to clean everything out and get it back up and running.

It turned out that the Xerox engineers had given specifications on the bearings when they designed the machine. The original supplier of the bearing though, had supplied a bearing which was above specifications. Around the time of the failure, Xerox had changed suppliers of the bearing, and the new supplier provided bearings that were EXACTLY to spec, and it turned out they weren't able to withstand the stress placed on them by the machine. A change in specifications and everything was good again.

I know when the HR20 was first coming out, it was available in different locations at different times, so it's certainly plausible that there is a batch of machines out there that was made with suspect parts, and that were shipped in large part to one geographic location, while other batches were made with good parts and shipped to another geographic location. That would help to explain why in large part your area has no complaints, while others have a great number of complaints.

Without confirmation from D* we'll probably never know, but it's certainly a plausible theory.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I don't think any pattern has been seen with those having issues, and those that don't.

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lumspond said:
ZDawg,
I got rid of the "searching for sat" by removing the B band converters at the back of the receiver and connecting the cables directly. They aren't yet neccesary.
Lumspond
So, what is the B band converter for?

Z

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
ZDawg said:
So, what is the B band converter for?

Z
Eventually, it is going to be used to shift part of the SAT signal from one part of the broadcast stream, to where the HR20 needs it to be.

It is not in use yet.

·
Legend
156 Posts
My HR20 has been stable now for over two weeks.

Sometimes I miss Windows 3.11. ;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.