DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend was the final Fomula One race of the season- so, to guarantee that the program recorded properly, I set up both my HR20 and my Weakknees-upgraded Huges DirecTivo to record the program. And I am extremely glad that I did, because it would appear that Speed has been having major uplink problems throughout the weekend. The picture quality was essentially unwatchable on the Hughes (freezing for multiple seconds and nearly continuous pixelation, with corresponding audio dropouts), whereas the version recorded on the HR20 was actually quite good- with just an occasional split-second pixelation burst, and only just a few audio dropouts. This is with the same feed from the AT9 dish via the new Zinwell multiswitch, so I think it is reasonable to say that essentially the same satellite signal was fed to the two receivers.

This is the first time that I'd seen the HR20 outperform my older hardware, and it did so with flying colors. It would appear to me that either the error-correction algorithms have been improved pretty drastically with the newer decoder, or the sensitivity of the receiver hardware has been improved (although signal strength does not appear to be an issue on that transponder with either receiver), or both. But suffice it to say that I was glad that the HR20 was here, and that I wasn't just stuck with the unacceptable recording from the old Hughes...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.