DBSTalk Forum banner

Is the 0xEF improvement to 30s Slip a suitable workaround to 30s Skip?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 60 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Godfather
323 Posts
brott said:
With the improvement of 30s Slip in the most recent release (0xEF), I'd like your opinion.

Is the 0xEF improvement to 30s Slip a suitable workaround to 30s Skip?
What was the improvement? (I don't have a HR20) Is it faster?

· Godfather
323 Posts
Chris Blount said:
It's too bad they can't sneak in a 30 second skip by entering a code just like on the Tivo. For all we know it's already there. :)
I agree completely. Make it a backdoor like that other DVR type that shall go unspoken. ;)

· Godfather
323 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:

But the TiVo Slip screen did not update during the Skip. You had no idea where you were. The old TiVo Slip was blind.
Every time I press skip on my DTivo, I get one frame of picture to look at and rarely skip more than once more than I need to. For a 120 second commercial break, "slip" would take 6 seconds, assuming 1.5 seconds per 30 seconds commercial time. I can be off two on 30 second skip, and still easily beat 6 seconds. There may be other reasons to prefer "slip", but IMO, speed is not one of them.

· Godfather
323 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
Our old friend Skip is blind-folded.

My first prediction for 2007: By year end, TiVo will be under pressure to replace Skip with Slip.

Skippy won't be able to keep up.

- Craig
Let me say this once more: Every time I press the "skip" on my DTivo, I see a frame. I am able to discern the difference between the program I'm watching and a commercial. Skip (on my DTivo anyway) is not blind.

Skip has been around for about 5 years now. It is still in TIVO, DTivo, Dish, Sony, MythTV, BeyondTV and HTPC DVRs.

I have no problem with folks who like to watch commercials for whatever reason - that's your right.

· Godfather
323 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
TiVo's Slip freezes one frame for 30 seconds. So you can't see the next 719 frames.
- Craig
The original point you had made (as I understood it) was that the skip was blind for 2 minutes of "skips". I see a frame every 30 seconds, and am thus able to tell if the commercial break is over. If I've overshot, I hit instant replay a time or two, and I'm at the restart of my program. Obviously, skip is not looking at every frame - it would then be a "slip". My point is that I can very quickly get through a commercial break of any length, be it 120 seconds or 133.5 seconds faster than a "slip".

I understand you (and many others like slip). Enjoy!

· Godfather
323 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
We are in the middle of an advertiser's revolt against DVRs. Broadcasters are just starting to ramp up the use of variable length commercial slots. More of the technical details are here.

Philips took out a patent on a TV in April that requires you to watch the commercial unless you pay a fee. Click here to read about it.

The new Fast Slip let's us catch them when they try to do a quick cut back out of commercial.

Fast Slip good!

- Craig
Thanks for posting this. Narrows my search for an HDTV by one - I don't have to worry about Phillips anymore. Or any other Phillips product. :)

· Godfather
323 Posts
Andrew_J_M said:
Just because they have a patent doesn't mean they will implement it, in fact it could be to our advantage in that the notworks :D can't now patent the same functionality and force anyone to use it.
All that means is that Phillips would collect licencing $$ from the networks. Personally, I seriously doubt the FCC would allow this for OTA, but there are enough other brands out there that I'd rather not reward Phillips with my $$.

This reminds me a bit of the initial position taken that HD PC receiver cards would be disabled from recording HD OTA signals. Once the outcry got loud enough, the FCC backed off.

· Godfather
323 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
Skip is one feature on the Wishlist that now would actually take away another feature. I wish the survey asked,
Should the new HR20 fast Slip feature be eliminated and replaced with the TiVo Skip.

In fairness, you would have to limit the poll somehow to just people who have ever actually seen the new Fast Slip. One person voting NO admitted that they do not have an HR20! I also think that for an improvement this large, you would really need to wait 90 days to let it's effect be felt.

Doug, if you keep the question, it maybe should be stated as a new question in light of the new fast Slip. The previous replies from before the Fast Slip was introduced do not apply now. Maybe retire the old item and place a new one:
Eliminate the new HR20 Fast Slip (Advance) feature and replace it with the TiVo Skip.

I think this would set a record for how low a score could go.

- Craig
I've tried to make some civil points about slip vs. skip in response to a comment you made on their relative speed and useability. In fact, I started by saying I don't have an HR20 and wanted to know how much faster it was. I'd like to get a HDTV and a DVR for it, and being a D*customer am considering the HR20. It was not some "admission" sheepishly given after you "caught me". Whether D* likes it or not, there are a segment of folks waiting on the HR20 before plunging in. By the way, I have no particular allegiance to Tivo or any other DVR as a platform. Back when Earl posted his R15 review on Tivo community, I was one who objected when he was forced to remove his review and R15 discussion from that board. I'll go back to lurking now...:nono2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.