DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Cool Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure that the HR20 only accepts 720p/1080i, however, has anyone noticed any major difference in running the HR20 in a 1080p mode (or can it even be done)? I am looking to purchase a new HDTV for the living room and trying to find out if a 1080p HDTV would be worth the $$ they are asking for it.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
profmrw said:
I am pretty sure that the HR20 only accepts 720p/1080i, however, has anyone noticed any major difference in running the HR20 in a 1080p mode (or can it even be done)? I am looking to purchase a new HDTV for the living room and trying to find out if a 1080p HDTV would be worth the $$ they are asking for it.
Other than Blu Ray & HD-DVD, there is no viable 1080p content sourced anywhere from anybody at this time. Since most of the current content is 720p or 1080i, and many millions were invested in that (and others coming aboard still with those same formats to comply with the elimination of analog), I could never justify spending a dime more for any 1080p unit. In addition, only 1/2 of the most recent units researched do an acceptable job of converting their 1080i signal on a 1080p unit. While the TV-making folks are anxious to push out these 1080p units to the market, without much of any content, its money down the drain for several years (at least) IMHO.

I just got a new unit (1080i), so I put my money where my mouth is as well.

·
Godfather
254 Posts
profmrw said:
No DVR or cable box on the planet outputs 1080p yet. Probably because no channel broadcasts 1080p. Right now the only devices that output 1080p resolution are HDD VD and Blu-Ray Disk players. Eventually everything should be 1080p, but probably not for a couple more TVs down the line. If you are huge into movies and plan on getting one of the above mentioned DVD players soon, definitely go for the 1080p. If not, a 720p/1080i would be fine for quite awhile.

As for the HR20, the TV would either have to run in 720p or 1080i mode or upconvert the signal. My guess is you would not be able to notice a difference.

·
AllStar
50 Posts
Yes, the HR20 outputs 720p and 1080i, not 1080p.

That said, many of the newer types of displays, such as plamas and LCDs, are inherently progressive devices, while displays such as CRTs are interlaced devices. An interlaced display only does half the scanlines (odd or even) with each pass, while a progressive display does all the scanlines with each pass. So, if an LCD or plasma display has 1080 scanlines, it's a 1080p display.

Everything else being the same, a 1080p monitor can show a better picture than a 720p monitor when the input signal is 1080i. The 720p monitor has to scale down the resolution. Note that the 1080p display has to do the de-interlacing thing to generate progressive from interlace, and that could have its own artifacts.

Bottom line is that it may indeed be worthwhile to get a 1080p display for 1080i sources. But, it's not the only consideration.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
The HR20 will not output 1080p, but I'm pretty sure most 1080p sets have a progressive mode that will convert it to 1080p much like many progressive scan DVD players. Not sure how much of a pciture quality improvement you'll get out of this though.

Edit: That's what I get for opening 8 different threads in different tabs in Firefox and not refreshing them before I reply!

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
profmrw said:
The HR-20 outputs from 480i to 1080i. It does not output in 1080p. I have a Samsung 50" DLP 1080p mostly 'cuz I got a good price on it (about the same as the mid-quality 1080i).

You'll see more games and other input devices taking advantage of 1080p long before sat/cable/broadcast will, but if you can find a good price and want to be ahead of the curve it might be worth it for you. Just depends on how you'll use the TV.

·
AllStar
50 Posts
PoitNarf said:
The HR20 will not output 1080p, but I'm pretty sure most 1080p sets have a progressive mode that will convert it to 1080p much like many progressive scan DVD players. Not sure how much of a pciture quality improvement you'll get out of this though.
Theorectically at least, if you're watching a movie broadcast in 1080i, the de-interlacer could be able to reconstruct a full 1080p frame by decoding the 3/2 film/field pulldown sequence (as PoitNarf says, just like can happen with DVDs).

And again, with displays that are inherently progressive, if you're going to get 1080 lines of resolution, they have to be progressive lines.

·
Mentor
33 Posts
1080p isn't in the HD specs... It's pretty much a sony thing at this point. Blue-ray and PS3 are both 1080p sources. Thing is, it doesn't really matter if the TV accepts 1080p unless the TV's native resolution is 1080p. Many of them are only 720p, or slightly higher then 720. So basicly you end up just paying more for a scaler with another option; An option anything that can do 1080p already can do.

·
Godfather
262 Posts
I have a 1080P SXRD and looks very good with the HR20...especially CBS HD...hopefully with the new sats, the D* signal itself will improve...

Not saying its any better than a 720P set, but given they are only a little bit more and I plan on goin Blu-Ray at some point in time it was worth the few xtra bones...

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Well I just sucked it up and ordered a Samsung HL-S5688W 1080p DLP set. Should be delivered in a few days. I figure I'm future-proofing myself.

·
12,182 Posts
I hope so; the ones I've seen locally have been great. The price I got was SUBSTANTIALLY better than I've seen around locally, and included free shipping and no sales tax. No negatives/scam alerts on them so far as I was able to determine and they are an authorized dealer so no grey market or warranty issues - once the set arrives in good shape, I'll be comfortable letting folks know where I got it (it's an internet dealer). I don't want to potentially send people down a bad road though so it'll be a few days. Suffice it to say for now that the price I paid was about $150 more than I paid for my 42" Toshiba four and a half years ago locally, and without sales taxes or delivery fees. :)

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
LameLefty said:
I hope so; the ones I've seen locally have been great. The price I got was SUBSTANTIALLY better than I've seen around locally, and included free shipping and no sales tax. No negatives/scam alerts on them so far as I was able to determine and they are an authorized dealer so no grey market or warranty issues - once the set arrives in good shape, I'll be comfortable letting folks know where I got it (it's an internet dealer). I don't want to potentially send people down a bad road though so it'll be a few days. Suffice it to say for now that the price I paid was about $150 more than I paid for my 42" Toshiba four and a half years ago locally, and without sales taxes or delivery fees. :)
Depending on where you put it and your distance from it, these sets are very bright Lefty. I think the rule of thumb is a seating distance of 4x the width of the screen for HD and up to 7x for SD. Don't be afraid to go smaller if you're in a room that doesn't quite have the depth you think will suffice. There are different picture modes available and I find I'm on "Movie" mode (a mode for low light/night) 24/7 no matter what light is coming in. Also - the viewing angle is very good on these (a good 50 degrees nice and clean), so if you're closer in and on an angle the sheer screen size combined with brightness is pretty powerful. Just some thoughts for you. My 50" DLP is plllenty because of the way my room is cut. I'm at about 3 1/2x screen width seating distance and it's plenty bright in a darker room mode.

·
12,182 Posts
Yep, I know. I've already previewed them a bit and used a distance-calculator to estimate where and how I ought to sit. Fortunately, my room is almost perfect for this size set. My couch will be just about right for this size set for a good, theater-like experience. I've already read most of the entire "Samsung 1080p Official Thread" over at AVS so I plan on doing a bunch of user-level adjustments right away, believe me. :)

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
LameLefty said:
Yep, I know. I've already previewed them a bit and used a distance-calculator to estimate where and how I ought to sit. Fortunately, my room is almost perfect for this size set. My couch will be just about right for this size set for a good, theater-like experience. I've already read most of the entire "Samsung 1080p Official Thread" over at AVS so I plan on doing a bunch of user-level adjustments right away, believe me. :)
Awesome Lefty. Enjoy it!

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
1080p is in the HDTV specs as 24Hz and 50 and 60Hz will be added soon. I would recommend playing with the output from the box into the TV. My 1080p LCD likes to get 720p input more than 1080i because there more information per frame to upscale to 1080p. It is much more difficult to do 3/2 pulldown on 1080i than 480i and the processors are not up to it yet. There are exceptions like the Sony SXRD mentioned above, I couldn't afford that yet so I input 720p, and my picture is fantastic.
YMMV GeoffQ

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
LameLefty said:
Well I just sucked it up and ordered a Samsung HL-S5688W 1080p DLP set. Should be delivered in a few days. I figure I'm future-proofing myself.
Finally - somewhat said it! It's about future proofing. Like computers, look at mid-range entry level technology - and with HDTV it seems to be about $1500. That won't quite get you 1080p just yet, but probably after Christmas it will.

1080p also represents the current cieling on the technology and this is likely where it will platueau for a while, while the other elements in the chain play catchup. Not unlike Pentium 4.

HDTV is breaking out of the pure vidophile market and into the mainstream - but most of us her are most likely a little ahead of the mainstream - and that means we like movies as well as TV. That doesn't mean we're going to rush out and drop a grand today on BluRay or HD-DVD, but it really won't be long until some sort of standard emerges from that war, the prices will drop and there will be more movie titles avaialable. That's when you'll look at your 720p set and wish you would have spent a few hunderd bucks more or waited a few more months.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
GeoffQ said:
1080p is in the HDTV specs as 24Hz and 50 and 60Hz will be added soon. I would recommend playing with the output from the box into the TV. My 1080p LCD likes to get 720p input more than 1080i because there more information per frame to upscale to 1080p. It is much more difficult to do 3/2 pulldown on 1080i than 480i and the processors are not up to it yet. There are exceptions like the Sony SXRD mentioned above, I couldn't afford that yet so I input 720p, and my picture is fantastic.
YMMV GeoffQ
I would agree with this statement. Shows like Lost coming OTA from my local in 720p look excellent on my 1080p DLP. When you say "box" I assume you mean the HR-20. How are you setting the HR-20 output so that every channel gets to your TV in 720p? Is that even possible? And how do you have your TV set up for input? Mine automatically makes its adjustments to what's coming in so it would seem to be better to handle it at the HR-20 no?

EDIT: There's discussion here

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67820&page=2

·
Godfather
488 Posts
LameLefty said:
You should enjoy, I have a HL-S7178W and except for a little rainbow effect the set is sweet.:D

You guys are forgetting 1080p from some computers. I connect my daughters Macbook Pro to the PC (DVI) in on my Samsung all the time. The true 1080p is absoutly amazing. I won't comment on the content except to say that it is native 1080p. Also iTunes visualizations are pretty intense at 1080p at 71".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.