DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Hr20 from Best Buy (will get a $200 credit from Directv upon activation) and I currently have the 3 LNB dish. Will the Hr20 work fine with this dish. Keep in mind that I get the NY locals on the satellite already on my HR10 (this Hr20 is going on another Tv) in the 80s channels. Is there anything I should know about using the box this way?

I'm having someone put in the 2 extra lines for me as I'm keeping my SD DTivo for its networking features as well as its reliability (just in case the Hr20 isn't so reliable). Directv said that they would install the 5 LNB dish at no charge but it would take awhile to set that up. In the meantime am I ok on the Hr20?

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and one more question. Do I need the Zinwell WB68 multiswitch for when I get the 5 LNB dish. I currently have an Aspen powered 4x8 multiswitch and I was wondering if I have to make sure the installer brings the Zinwell switch.

·
Godfather
336 Posts
NYHeel said:
Oh and one more question. Do I need the Zinwell WB68 multiswitch for when I get the 5 LNB dish. I currently have an Aspen powered 4x8 multiswitch and I was wondering if I have to make sure the installer brings the Zinwell switch.
The new 5 lnb will come with a zinwell. Zinwell's as far as I know are the only multiswitchs approved for the new satellites.

·
Legend
132 Posts
I use an HR20 with a 3LNB and, although I've had some problems with HR20, they seem to be better now with no change to the dish configuration. I doubt the 3LNB is an issue. I also get the NY locals in the 80s and that too works fine.

The main advantage to the 5LNB now is that you can get local HD stuff in MPEG4 format which will allow you to record much more programming to your DVRs hard drive. Also there are more satellites with more programming (exactly what we don't know) planned for next year, so you'll probably want to go ahead with the 5LNB install, especially while it's free.

And yes definitely have the installer bring a Zinwell switch.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
You can use the 3-LNB dish w/ the HR20. However you will not receive any of the MPEG4 feeds from D*. Which IIRC is still just the HD locals. Supposedly any new national HD's are gong to be in MPEG4. Eventually you will need the 5-LNB for these MPEG4 feeds.

I would try and get the installer to bring you the Zinwell switch as well. Again eventully your going to need it to get the MPEG4.

You probably already know the 3-LNB and 5-LNB have 4-port multi-switches built in. Even you don't have a requirement for more than 4 cable runs. Then you don't a multi-switch at all. Since you already have the Aspen, then you probably have more than 4 anyway. Either way get it anyway, you probably need it down the road.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Carbon said:
The new 5 lnb will come with a zinwell. Zinwell's as far as I know are the only multiswitchs approved for the new satellites.
With respect, I don't think that is totally accurate. Many peeps have neede them and the installer did not have or account for it. If it's not on the work order, you may not get it.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Bad Rex said:
I use an HR20 with a 3LNB and, although I've had some problems with HR20, they seem to be better now with no change to the dish configuration. I doubt the 3LNB is an issue. I also get the NY locals in the 80s and that too works fine.

The main advantage to the 5LNB now is that you can get local HD stuff in MPEG4 format which will allow you to record much more programming to your DVRs hard drive. Also there are more satellites with more programming (exactly what we don't know) planned for next year, so you'll probably want to go ahead with the 5LNB install, especially while it's free.

And yes definitely have the installer bring a Zinwell switch.
I just got the HR20 and i currently have a 3LNB, so how do I go about getting a free 5LNB?

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Call D* and tell them you want them to install the new AT-9 or AU-9 for your HR-20. They should also install the WB68 multiswitch depending on your setup and needs.

nsimpson21 said:
I just got the HR20 and i currently have a 3LNB, so how do I go about getting a free 5LNB?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
nsimpson21 said:
I think you need to sign up for the HD package. Most certainly if you want the locals in HD because you would need the 5-LB for that.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Yes they do, along with a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch if required for yor setup.

The lease retail price is 299. That's what you'll see at BB and CC. You can also try calling D* to get a better deal, although those have apparently been more rare lately (there's a waiting list) .

amahdi said:
Thanks - that really helped. I have the triple LNB. Does Directv give the 5 LNB Dish when you buy the HD DVR?

Also - is it better to get the HD DVR from Directv or Best Buy/Circuit City - which is normally cheaper?

·
Legend
143 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
Yes they do, along with a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch if required for yor setup.

The lease retail price is 299. That's what you'll see at BB and CC. You can also try calling D* to get a better deal, although those have apparently been more rare lately (there's a waiting list) .
Thanks - one more thing. It says you can record upto 50hrs HD or 200 hrs HD.

First of all - does this mean I have 250hrs Hard Drive? If not - if I record 40 hrs of HD, does it mean that I still have 10 hrs of HD and 200 hrs of std left?

Also, I would like to watch most of my programming in HD and 50 hrs seems less. I was just concerned that I would be watching most of my TIVO'd stuff in SD and live stuff in HD? What has your experience been.

Thanks.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
No - you can record "up to" (jury is still out on actual record hours) a total of 50 hrs HD or 200 hrs SD. If you have 40 hrs of HD recorded, theoretically you have 10 hrs left of HD, or 40 hrs of SD left at that point.

In my experience, I always have plenty left (about 1/2 left) at any time. But I do watch fairly regularly so I'm recording/watching/deleting almost every day.

amahdi said:
Thanks - one more thing. It says you can record upto 50hrs HD or 200 hrs HD.

First of all - does this mean I have 250hrs Hard Drive? If not - if I record 40 hrs of HD, does it mean that I still have 10 hrs of HD and 200 hrs of std left?

Also, I would like to watch most of my programming in HD and 50 hrs seems less. I was just concerned that I would be watching most of my TIVO'd stuff in SD and live stuff in HD? What has your experience been.

Thanks.

·
Legend
143 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
You could be right Meklos. I haven't pushed the limits yet to have to worry about it, so I was just going off the numbers I got from the OP. Thanks.
Thanks. One more question-->At the moment I have 2 Hughes Directv Tivos and am planning to get a 42 inch LCD TV. Because of this I was thinking of getting the HR20 in order to get HDTV.

However - with all the issues currently going on with the HR20, I was thinking of waiting till later. But if I get the 42inch LCD TV, the question I have is : How will SD look on the LCD TV? Will it look bad?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.