DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The blue power button is glowing -- but when you press it nothing happens. There is no video out and the circle of blue lights in the middle of the hr20 never turn on.

Is there something I'm missing? I've tried to reset it (red button) I've unplugged it but no use.

HELP!

Thanks
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
Is the blue circle moving?
Is the resolution lights flashing...

Have you tried the different type of connections to your tV? Component, HDMI, Composite, or S-Video?

Is your TV On and on the correct input? (have to ask)
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
19 Posts
Slip Jigs said:
This happened to me once - I can't remember exactly what I did to correct but something like:

Unplug - plug - power on - reset (or maybe just reset before power on)
When I got home today, for the first time, my receiver would not come on at all. So I reset the receiver with it being off and it worked. But I don't know why it wouldn't come on.
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
playboy1972 said:
When I got home today, for the first time, my receiver would not come on at all. So I reset the receiver with it being off and it worked. But I don't know why it wouldn't come on.
There is a known bug that caused the unit to hang when comming out of standby.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Is the blue circle moving?
Is the resolution lights flashing...

Have you tried the different type of connections to your tV? Component, HDMI, Composite, or S-Video?

Is your TV On and on the correct input? (have to ask)
The power button blue light is on. No other lights are on. The blue circle lights in the middle are not on.

I've tried both HDMI an S-video -- niether works.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only light on is the power button! The blue circle light isn't on neither are the resolution lights.

I've tried HDMI and s-video they don't work at all -- It is like it is stuck before booting up.
 

· You make it, We break it
Joined
·
4,480 Posts
mangumb said:
The only light on is the power button! The blue circle light isn't on neither are the resolution lights.

I've tried HDMI and s-video they don't work at all -- It is like it is stuck before booting up.
Let's start with that power button. Does the receiver appear to start to turn on (ie with the power light) and then after about 4-5 seconds nothing else happens? And then does the power light go off? Or does the powerlight stay on but nothing else happens?

Also - can you hear the hard drive spinning up and the fan blowing with the power light on? If the power light then goes off, do the drive and the fan also stop spinning? If the power light stays on, do the hard drive and fan continue to spin?

Also - have you seen a picture yet (you've had working service) or is this your first bootup of the receiver?
 

· New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Canis Lupus said:
Let's start with that power button. Does the receiver appear to start to turn on (ie with the power light) and then after about 4-5 seconds nothing else happens? And then does the power light go off? Or does the powerlight stay on but nothing else happens?

Also - can you hear the hard drive spinning up and the fan blowing with the power light on? If the power light then goes off, do the drive and the fan also stop spinning? If the power light stays on, do the hard drive and fan continue to spin?
Lets see -- If I unplug it -- then press the power button -- the blue light in the power button comes on and then nothing else happens. I can hear the fan and hard drive spinning but the rest of the lights don't come on and none of the buttons on the front or on the remote do anything.
 

· You make it, We break it
Joined
·
4,480 Posts
mangumb said:
Lets see -- If I unplug it -- then press the power button -- the blue light in the power button comes on and then nothing else happens. I can hear the fan and hard drive spinning but the rest of the lights don't come on and none of the buttons on the front or on the remote do anything.
Is this your first use of the receiver or did you have working service before this issue?
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
Hmm... do you have a lot of recordings on there?
As the only thing I can think of at this point is to do the front pannel, reformat of the system.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I left it unplugged and went to dinner -- Saved me from throwing the HR20 through the wall.

When I came back I plugged it back it and all was right with the world again!

I just hope I don't have to do that while I'm watching shows.

Thanks for everyones help!
 

· You make it, We break it
Joined
·
4,480 Posts
Also are you using a power switch for power or are you plugged directly into the outlet? Try plugging in to an outlet with nothing else plugged into that outlet if you can. Just to be sure for now.
 

· You make it, We break it
Joined
·
4,480 Posts
mangumb said:
Well I left it unplugged and went to dinner -- Saved me from throwing the HR20 through the wall.

When I came back I plugged it back it and all was right with the world again!

I just hope I don't have to do that while I'm watching shows.

Thanks for everyones help!
OK. I had this problem too with bad startups the first few times I booted (new receiver) and after a reset or 2 it came up and I've had no probs at all - especially once I got the new software download. Make sure you successfully download the new software and you can see channels before (if you've tried this or not) bringing your connections back up to HDMI capability (if that's what you're planning on using). Glad it's worked for you so far :)
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
Also are you using a power switch for power or are you plugged directly into the outlet? Try plugging in to an outlet with nothing else plugged into that outlet if you can. Just to be sure for now.
And to anyone out there thinking Canis is being "funny"...
You can't imagine how often over the years I have seen this be the problem for all sorts of devices...... even in my own house.. :D
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
385 Posts
I had a similar problem, talked to a D* tech for an hour. Tried everything from rebooting thru the remote to the red button. Finally, I unplugged the HDMI and then hit the power button. It started right away. I can't say for sure unplugging the HDMI had anything to do with fixing it, but mine started.

Good luck!
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
385 Posts
Oh, and I plugged the HDMI back in BEFORE I hit the power button. I have no other problems with my HDMI, but I don't have the HD locals yet. Any one have any idea when the Roanoke/Lynchburg VA area is scheduled? I haven't seen it anywhere on a list yet.
 

· You make it, We break it
Joined
·
4,480 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
And to anyone out there thinking Canis is being "funny"...
You can't imagine how often over the years I have seen this be the problem for all sorts of devices...... even in my own house.. :D
Oh totally not funny. You never know what currents are running through your house until something suddenly doesn't work. No doubt.
 

· You make it, We break it
Joined
·
4,480 Posts
bigwad said:
I had a similar problem, talked to a D* tech for an hour. Tried everything from rebooting thru the remote to the red button. Finally, I unplugged the HDMI and then hit the power button. It started right away. I can't say for sure unplugging the HDMI had anything to do with fixing it, but mine started.

Good luck!
This happened to me as well on one of the first attempted bootups. Seems the best thing to do is get that first boot followed by successful install of the latest software before adding higher end connections. A problem for lots of people until you get that latest software release fully installed.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top