DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told today by a local prominent home entertainment systems guy that the HR20's are being recalled. Is this true? I will say that it is a very quirky & buggy piece of hardware. I'm actually thinking about reconnecting my (refurbed) HR10-250. At least it worked as advertised.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Goodwood said:
Was told today by a local prominent home entertainment systems guy that the HR20's are being recalled. Is this true? I will say that it is a very quirky & buggy piece of hardware. I'm actually thinking about reconnecting my (refurbed) HR10-250. At least it worked as advertised.
It would be up to DirecTV to order any recall. So far they have not. I think it's just the opinion of your guy that they should based on the number of problems mentioned. It appears to be a software related issue, not hardware.

·
Godfather
485 Posts
I would doubt it for several reasons, the least of which is that it would leave D with NO HD DVR's. Sounds like a rep trying to push another product.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
I wouldnt hand mine in. Works great.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
There is absolutely no recall of the HR20.
A recall would be done if there was a serious hardware issue, that could not be addressed by Software.

As of right now, all issues with the HR20 are related to the software and not the hardware.

·
Icon
714 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
As of right now, all issues with the HR20 are related to the software and not the hardware.
I wish my software guys were as forgiving as you are when I was a hardware engineer. Because hardware is rigid, if a design flaw can be addressed by software, it will be. Hardware fixes, unless very critical, are typically only addressed in new lots or respins.

I don't think a recall is likely, though. Most recalls are due to safety issues. Unless there is one, all the troubles we are going through probably will never warrant a recall.

·
You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
Dusty said:
I wish my software guys were as forgiving as you are when I was a hardware engineer. Because hardware is rigid, if a design flaw can be addressed by software, it will be. Hardware fixes, unless very critical, are typically only addressed in new lots or respins.

I don't think a recall is likely, though. Most recalls are due to safety issues. Unless there is one, all the troubles we are going through probably will never warrant a recall.
Unless they catch fire. Dang there are some high temperatures in there sometimes :)

·
AllStar
63 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
There is absolutely no recall of the HR20.
A recall would be done if there was a serious hardware issue, that could not be addressed by Software.

All is pretty inclusive :)

There are many reports of failed 2nd tuners. I have had 3 of those units. All in all there are not enough of those failures to warrant a recall.

·
Icon
545 Posts
Goodwood said:
PLEEEZE!! NOT AGIAN!!

Why would they be recalled??:confused:

Is there something wrong with them???:rolleyes:

;) ;) ;)

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Goodwood said:
There's no recall on HR20, although I'd discontinue the product line until major software bugs are fixed.

As I software developer, I can't understand how HR20 could've gotten released at all. Yes, it's important for DTV to be the first to market and grab up consumers, but no, its software is nowhere near production quality and it reflects badly on the STB maker. I mean, the number of complaints on this forum is just appalling -- lock-ups, missed recordings, weird/random behavior -- and most of this could've been caught in the test lab, yet it's released to the wild and consumers are forced to double as beta testers.

My guess is the STB uses multithreaded software and most of the complaints about unexplanable behavior is due to threading issues, which can be very difficult to reproduce and identify, and that's why DTV can't release patches fast enough to fix them.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
jd001982 said:
My guess is the STB uses multithreaded software and most of the complaints about unexplanable behavior is due to threading issues, which can be very difficult to reproduce and identify, and that's why DTV can't release patches fast enough to fix them.
I think you are correct about multi-threading or forking, there is definitely asynchronous activity going on and there is IPC, semaphoring or other process communications problems going on between interdependent systems where status is not being checked or proper locking being performed.

·
6 Posts
I'm on my 3rd HR20. The first one had freezing problems, required hard (pull the plug) resets-2 to 3 X per day) and the remote control refused to work in IR mode. The second unit was DOA with a bad power supply. I installed the third last night and immediately ran into the 771 error message on Local HD. A tech is scheduled for tomorrow to check the dish connection. Local HD is on sat 99(b) and signal strength is zero across the board. The remote control problem, that nobody at D*'s CS seem to know about, is still an issue. The RC32 that was issued with the last HR20 only has IR and couldn't be switched to RF. I swapped for an RC24 from one of the boxes that had yet to be picked up by FedEx and I reprogrammed it for RF.
The bottom line is that the HR20 is not ready for prime-time. It should not have been released with these issues. The remote control problem alone should have been cause to delay the release. With 20 years in the computer business I would have to say their software is closer to an alpha release than beta. :nono2:

Attachments

·
Mentor
49 Posts
My local DirecTV guy confirmed that the HR20's are being pulled back to DirectTV ... recalled. Right now they are only sending back inventory, but he said in the next month they will start recalling all installed units.

It sounds like the powers that be at DirectTV finally realized how bad the HR20 is, and they are trying to do something about it. I just hope they replace them quickly (maybe a HD Tivo until they can re-release the HR20).

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
jayvista said:
My local DirecTV guy confirmed that the HR20's are being pulled back to DirectTV ... recalled. Right now they are only sending back inventory, but he said in the next month they will start recalling all installed units.

It sounds like the powers that be at DirectTV finally realized how bad the HR20 is, and they are trying to do something about it. I just hope they replace them quickly (maybe a HD Tivo until they can re-release the HR20).
Maybe D* hasn't read their manuals. :lol:

Can you provide a source on this? Internal D* contact or local installer?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
jayvista said:

Well your local DirecTV guy is wrong.
If anything the stock may be being recalled, due to the shortage... aka 20 in this area, coudl be used to deliver 20 in another area.

There is NO hardware recall... period...

There are no more HR10-250's either, so if they did recall them... you would probably only get a non-DVR in it's place.

How about a name for this local DirecTV guy?
As I am sure there are some fine folks at DirecTV that would like to talk to him about the information he is spreading.

Anyone remember what happened to a certain company that took pre-orders for the HR20, far below the "known" selling point, and then tried to say they couldn't fullfill because the HR20 was being recalled?

·
Legend
118 Posts
jayvista said:

I'm sure Earl must have the inside track on this. But if, inconceivably, it were so, I'd wonder how Direct would reimburse those of us who would need to have professionals come in and reinstall old boxes and reprogram universal remotes. I'm not going to stress out over it though, since I don't believe it will happen. And mine is finally working well enough, (not perfect) that I'd probably just not respond to the recall.

Makes for an interesting thread though....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.