DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!! First let me start by stating that this forum is awesome, very smart, knowledgeable people. Ok, now that that is out of the way, my issue.
I just got the DirectTV HR21-100 to go along with my: Panny TH-50PHHD8 plasma,
PannyDenon 4308CI, Panny Blu-Ray, and the Panny DVD DMR-EZ475 recorder. I guess this is a simple question. I want to record saved programs on the HR21-100, or from watching regular TV, on to a regular DVD on the Panny DVD recorder. I assume that this can be done via ->Compposite & S-Video but, can this also be done via COMPONENT? If so what are the proper connections. This is absolutely driving me crazy, but it is fun at the same time:hurah:

The DVD recorder has, Composite, S-Video, & Component.
Ive attached the back of the Denon 4308 reciever

Ok all thoughts are very much appreciated.

Attachments

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
The component and HDMI connections on that DVD recorder are for output only. In fact, you will only get 1080p upconversion on the HDMI output. The component out will do 480p at best, and of course composite and S-Video out will give you 480i only. The only input it will accept is 480i via composite or S-Video. Like most DVD recorders, this unit does not have the capability of recording even a 480p input signal, much less an HD 720p, 1080i or 18080p signal.

The simplest thing to do is to run the HR2x’s S-Video out to the DVD-R’s S-Video in, and do the same with the L/R analog audio. You could get more sophisticated and connect the DVD-R’s recording inputs to the Denon’s VCR-out ports, and then use the Denon to select the recording source. This would allow you to select other potential sources for recording, but then again, it requires more wire and it mean you have to leave the Denon receiver on when you want to record anything.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok fellas thanks so far for your responses, here is where im at.
I have my HR21-100 connected via component out to the 4308 receiver component video "IN 1" the DMR-EZ475 DVD recorder component out going to the receiver component "IN 2" I then have another component cable going from the 4308 reciever to the plasma. All I can now do is get video from recorded DVD's that i recorder previously. im not getting any video or sound from the HR21. I want to be able to lok at TV through the "VCR" option from the Denon reciever but for what ever reson Im not able to do so.

I also am connected to the receiver through an optical cable.

Any suggestions?

· Hall Of Fame
2,396 Posts
You already have the answer in the previous post. S-vid out (and red/white audio) from HR21 to S-vid in on the EZ. HDMI out from EZ to your TV (or receiver). The EZ doesn't have component inputs. As stated above, component out from the EZ will NOT give you 1080p, only HDMI will. You don't need optical from the EZ if you use HDMI.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mdavej said:
You already have the answer in the previous post. S-vid out (and red/white audio) from HR21 to S-vid in on the EZ. HDMI out from EZ to your TV (or receiver). The EZ doesn't have component inputs. As stated above, component out from the EZ will NOT give you 1080p, only HDMI will. You don't need optical from the EZ if you use HDMI.
ok, Ill try it and let you know how it goes. Thanks a lot.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I set it up jus tas stated above "S-vid out (and red/white audio) from HR21 to S-vid in on the EZ. HDMI out from EZ to your TV (or receiver). I am still only able to play previous recordings. I am not getting a signal from the HR21.

Confused

· Legend
188 Posts
kayizm said:
Just tried it and it gives me a "no Signal"
Rodney's advice is how my Panny DVD-R is connected so it should work fine. By having a dedicated "record connection" from the HR21 to the DVD-R, you also get the ability to watch other sources while recording DVDs.

I do not have a combo unit like yours - so I did a quick browse of your manual.

I'll summarize what your connections should be:
  • S-Video cable from HR21 S-Video out to DMR-EZ475 IN1 S-Video.
  • RCA Audio (Red + White) cable from HR21 analog audio outs to DMR-EZ475 IN1 R+L Audio Ins.
  • NO CONNECTION to the DMR-EZ475 IN1 composite video input (yellow).
  • HDMI Cable from DMR-EZ475 to your TV or Receiver.

To troubleshoot further, try these steps...
  1. Make sure the HR21 is not displaying copy protected material like PPVs.
  2. Try your "Drive Select" button to make sure the DVD is selected as opposed to the VHS tape drive. Then use "Input Select" to select the video input where the HR21 is connected to.
  3. Try another cable from the HR21 to the DVD-R to prove that it's not a bad cable.

Good luck,
dd

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dduitsman said:
Rodney's advice is how my Panny DVD-R is connected so it should work fine. By having a dedicated "record connection" from the HR21 to the DVD-R, you also get the ability to watch other sources while recording DVDs.

I do not have a combo unit like yours - so I did a quick browse of your manual.

I'll summarize what your connections should be:
  • S-Video cable from HR21 S-Video out to DMR-EZ475 IN1 S-Video.
  • RCA Audio (Red + White) cable from HR21 analog audio outs to DMR-EZ475 IN1 R+L Audio Ins.
  • NO CONNECTION to the DMR-EZ475 IN1 composite video input (yellow).
  • HDMI Cable from DMR-EZ475 to your TV or Receiver.

To troubleshoot further, try these steps...
  1. Make sure the HR21 is not displaying copy protected material like PPVs.
  2. Try your "Drive Select" button to make sure the DVD is selected as opposed to the VHS tape drive. Then use "Input Select" to select the video input where the HR21 is connected to.
  3. Try another cable from the HR21 to the DVD-R to prove that it's not a bad cable.

Good luck,
dd
DD thanks for the reply. now Im REALLY going crazy. I DID exactly as you and Rodney suggested and, Im STILL not getting any signal from the HR21-100. Thats the thing, I just upgraded from the HR10-250 and it had a "RF IN" antenna connection on the back of it and I would connect that to the DVD recorder to get a signal. This NEWER model HR21 should be much easier.

The frustration is mounting people:(

· Hall Of Fame
2,755 Posts
kayizm said:
DD thanks for the reply. now Im REALLY going crazy. I DID exactly as you and Rodney suggested and, Im STILL not getting any signal from the HR21-100. Thats the thing, I just upgraded from the HR10-250 and it had a "RF IN" antenna connection on the back of it and I would connect that to the DVD recorder to get a signal. This NEWER model HR21 should be much easier.

The frustration is mounting people:(
Be patient, it's some little thing that you are doing wrong. That happens to me all the time, you wouldn't believe how complex my set up is. 4 TVs 5 HD DVRs 2 DVD players and 2 DVD recorders and an Onkyo AVR. And 6 switches so that everything works with most of the TVs. You will find your answer. Start over with the HR21 to the AVR to the TV only. Get that to work and then start adding your other components. The RF antenna is only for your remote.

· Legend
188 Posts
joed32 said:
Be patient, it's some little thing that you are doing wrong. That happens to me all the time, you wouldn't believe how complex my set up is. 4 TVs 5 HD DVRs 2 DVD players and 2 DVD recorders and an Onkyo AVR. And 6 switches so that everything works with most of the TVs. You will find your answer. Start over with the HR21 to the AVR to the TV only. Get that to work and then start adding your other components. The RF antenna is only for your remote.
Joed32,

Good advice - but one correction (so the OP doesn't get confused): the HR21 has an internal RF remote antenna and no antenna RF in or out. No RF connector or any kind (other than the 2 SAT ins).

kayizm, building on joed32's suggestion - try connecting the S-Video and audio cables (the ones that will eventually go from the HR21 to the DMR-EZ475) from the HR21 to one of your TV ins and verify that the HR21 is providing a signal. If it is, then I would guess that we are not getting some mode or setting right on the DMR-EZ475 to view IN1 while recording.

Regards,
dd

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dduitsman said:
Joed32,

Good advice - but one correction (so the OP doesn't get confused): the HR21 has an internal RF remote antenna and no antenna RF in or out. No RF connector or any kind (other than the 2 SAT ins).

kayizm, building on joed32's suggestion - try connecting the S-Video and audio cables (the ones that will eventually go from the HR21 to the DMR-EZ475) from the HR21 to one of your TV ins and verify that the HR21 is providing a signal. If it is, then I would guess that we are not getting some mode or setting right on the DMR-EZ475 to view IN1 while recording.

Regards,
dd
Joed32, DD, I will try both of your suggestions and let you know how it goes. This is frustrating but its kind of a "fun" frustration. And thats the thing that "RF IN" on the back of my old HR10-250 would provide the signal that i am looking for to the DMR--EZ475. Just connect a wire and I was set, I was able to click on the "VCR" button on my Denon receiver, and not only was able to record, but WATCH television from that output. The fact that this new HR10-100 has an "internal" antenna is whats confusing.

Ok, back to the drawing board.:nono:

Also to complicate things even further, instead of the S-Video cable, wouldnt the picture look better using Component? Thats what I used with my Hr10-250.
Just another question

· Hall Of Fame
2,396 Posts
Again, you just need to connect HR21 s-vid out to EZ s-vid in. Cycle SLOWLY thru the inputs on the EZ with input select until you see IN1 on the front panel. That will be the HR21 signal. The "no signal" you see is from the EZ's internal tuner which isn't getting a signal from the antenna input (don't worry about that). If you see "no signal", you can also change channels on the EZ until you get to IN1.

This is all assuming you can see what's coming from the EZ via HDMI out from the EZ to your tuner or TV. You DON'T want to connect the EZ to the VCR input on your denon. You need to use one of the HDMI inputs on the denon to get 1080p.

Forget about the internal RF antenna on the HR21. It's for the remote. It has NOTHING to do with watching or recording anything.

Component input on the EZ would be great, but IT DOESN'T EXIST. You have to use S-vid (or worse).

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mdavej said:
Again, you just need to connect HR21 s-vid out to EZ s-vid in. Cycle SLOWLY thru the inputs on the EZ with input select until you see IN1 on the front panel. That will be the HR21 signal. The "no signal" you see is from the EZ's internal tuner which isn't getting a signal from the antenna input (don't worry about that). If you see "no signal", you can also change channels on the EZ until you get to IN1.

This is all assuming you can see what's coming from the EZ via HDMI out from the EZ to your tuner or TV. You DON'T want to connect the EZ to the VCR input on your denon. You need to use one of the HDMI inputs on the denon to get 1080p.

Forget about the internal RF antenna on the HR21. It's for the remote. It has NOTHING to do with watching or recording anything.

Component input on the EZ would be great, but IT DOESN'T EXIST. You have to use S-vid (or worse).
So mdavej,

If I hookup the EZ with the S-Video as you suggest, I WILL be able to see television through the EZ as well as record my HR21 content?

· Hall Of Fame
2,396 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "see television as well as record". You can't record on the EZ and watch something different at the same time, if that's what you're asking. It's not possible with a single source, no matter how you hook it up. It sees exactly what's showing on your HR21. If you mean OTA (Over-The-Air), you'll have to hook up an antenna to the EZ and scan for channels in the setup. If you're lucky, you'll get a few channels that way. It's not a good idea to watch television through the EZ anyway. If you are on an HD channel on your HR21, for example, it sends 480i via s-video to the EZ, which then gets converted back to 1080p via HDMI, which isn't going to look very good compared to just watching the HR21 directly. The only thing you would want to watch on the EZ are DVD's and DVD-R's.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But what about being able to see what Im recording? What I mean is this I go into the menu of the previous things that I recorded on the HR21-100, and see THAT through the input of the EZ, thats what im trying to do, SEE the things that Im recording from the HR21-100.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mdavej said:
If you have it connected per this thread, then you should see the HR21 on IN1 on the EZ. What are you seeing on IN1 now, a blank screen? If so you may have a bad S-vid cable.
Blank screen, I also swapped ot the cable for another one........same thing.:confused:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.