DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 HD DVRs, the HR22-100 is fine, but started having a few issues with the HR21-100 a few months ago:
1) Pauses randomly then starts again on live TV and recordings.
2) Several times we discovered a program was not fully recorded, it would pause during playback and after several minutes ask us to delete or keep the program.
3) The picture will start stuttering on all programs and even the menu, this is the biggest sign it needs to be reset. After a reset everything is fine for a day or two.

Called DTV and talked to level 1 and he said it sounded like the hard drive was going out. Passed me on to level 2 and we did the "run system test" from the menu. Got an error which said the dish may need alignment, but the lady said it pointed to an issue with the coax cable and to make sure they were tight. Cables were fine, so she set an appointment for a tech to come out.

Tech came out. I told him the test showed the dish may be out of alignment, he checked the readings on the transponders from the DVR and said they were a little low. He said he would align the dish, got his ladder, then when he saw the dish he said he was not allowed to put feet on the roof. I would have to call in and have my dish relocated and he left. The dish was installed by DTV, the tech said it must have been sub-contractors. I've had DTV since 2003 and DTV upgraded the dish to the Slimline-5 many years ago when we got these HD DVRs.

I went up on the roof and found the alignment bolts loose for both elevation and azimuth. Did the dithering as best I could until the system test no longer showed an error and almost all readings were better than before, then tightened the bolts. The DVR is pretty much the same after my alignment. I noticed that changing channels seems a little faster, taking around 4 to 5 seconds now to fully change to a channel and get a picture when selecting from the guide.

Now my question! Is the DVR the problem or does my dish still need some fine tuning? Will a tech be satisfied with the signal strength now and replace the DVR?

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
1-8 99 98 98 60 99 100 98 100
9-16 99 98 98 100 98 100 97 100
17-24 98 0 96 100 97 100 97 100
25-32 97 56 98 0 99 100 97 100

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA 89
9-16 NA 83 NA 92 NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA 96 85 99
25-32 95 99 100 98 91 99 96 99

Satellite transponders (11 total at 99º(ca))
9-16 NA NA 95 NA 92 86 94 0
17-24 91 85 90 83 0 NA 94 NA

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(cb))
1-8 88 85 86 85 84 83 86 85
9-16 84 84 85 85 90 85 NA NA

Satellite transponders (18 total at 99º(s))
1-8 74 0 92 63 84 0 89 65
9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA 0 0
17-24 87 85 0 0 77 77 0 0

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s))
1-8 0 0 0 0 NA NA NA NA
9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA 97 26
17-24 0 0 59 38 96 95 95 96

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
9-16 95 94 91 88 93 89 88 86
17-24 92 87 94 86 93 88 95 89

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb))
1-8 95 91 91 86 89 86 90 85
9-16 89 88 88 85 88 86 NA NA
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
Your signal levels are fine ...

While it looks to be a bad box as both those models are pretty old now. Is this a SWiM install?

And can (or did) you try switching locations with the other box to see if the problems follow the same box?

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Probable ird issue. Code 43 indicates that there is at least one transponder with a meter reading 5 or more points below Installation Verification (IV) threshold for your area. IV is much more stringent than what can cause signal issues during a clear day (meaning you can see test failure even if not having any noticeable issues.) If code 43 is gone after fixing the root cause (ODU alignment) and are still having the issue chances are it is an hdd issue. Box swap would be what I would do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HoTat2 said:
Your signal levels are fine ...

While it looks to be a bad box as both those models are pretty old now. Is this a SWiM install?

And can (or did) you try switching locations with the other box to see if the problems follow the same box?

Yes they are old, I have the protection plan and not under a contract, so I don't want a new 2 year contract extension right now as I may switch to Dish. No SWIM, I have 2 cables to each DVR. I haven't tried switching locations as I'm convinced it is the DVR, but wanted confirmation that my low levels on like the 56 on 101 transponder 26 and the 38 on 103(s) transponder 20 are OK before calling again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CuttySnark said:
Probable ird issue. Code 43 indicates that there is at least one transponder with a meter reading 5 or more points below Installation Verification (IV) threshold for your area. IV is much more stringent than what can cause signal issues during a clear day (meaning you can see test failure even if not having any noticeable issues.) If code 43 is gone after fixing the root cause (ODU alignment) and are still having the issue chances are it is an hdd issue. Box swap would be what I would do.
Thanks for the reply. That describes our signal problems before the alignment, we would lose signal briefly during some storms, but never a problem on clear days. Now with the alignment we haven't lost signal but the real test will be a heavy storm. I'll try again for a box swap, just didn't want the tech to tell me that we still have alignment issues and leave again.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
Randyb11 said:
Yes they are old, I have the protection plan and not under a contract, so I don't want a new 2 year contract extension right now as I may switch to Dish. No SWIM, I have 2 cables to each DVR. I haven't tried switching locations as I'm convinced it is the DVR, but wanted confirmation that my low levels on like the 56 on 101 transponder 26 and the 38 on 103(3) transponder 20 are OK before calling again.
Ok, I needed to ask about SWM before I suggested to check for a bad B Band Converter (BBC) on the problem DVR.

Do you have extra BBCs or temporarily borrow them from the other DVR?

As for those low signal levels, they are spotbeam xpndrs aimed at other local markets (assuming you have a typo for "103(3)" and meant "103 (s)" ), so you can ignore them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HoTat2 said:
Ok, I needed to ask about SWM before I suggested to check for a bad B Band Converter (BBC) on the problem DVR.

Do you have extra BBCs or temporarily borrow them from the other DVR?

As for those low signal levels, they are spotbeam xpndrs aimed at other local markets (assuming you have a typo for "103(3)" and meant "103 (s)" ), so you can ignore them.

Yes, it is 103 (s). I will swap the BBCs with the other DVR and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
litzdog911 said:
Replacing defective equipment will not trigger a new 2-yr commitment. Only upgrades do that.
That is what i thought, but when I spoke to DTV on the phone they were very confusing, They used the word replacement to mean upgrade. I had to keep repeating over and over I didn't want anything that would extend my contract.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Randyb11 said:
That is what i thought, but when I spoke to DTV on the phone they were very confusing, They used the word replacement to mean upgrade. I had to keep repeating over and over I didn't want anything that would extend my contract.
Any time you get someone that does not understand what you want, thank them and hang up. Call right back and you will get another CSR. I have done this several times. Some just do not know what they are doing and some are very good and knowledgeable .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jimmie57 said:
Any time you get someone that does not understand what you want, thank them and hang up. Call right back and you will get another CSR. I have done this several times. Some just do not know what they are doing and some are very good and knowledgeable .
Thanks, I'll remember this the next time I call.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Randyb11 said:
Thanks, I'll remember this the next time I call.
Next time, I'd suggest calling Retention. What you want to do is dump those two terrible HRs and get updated to 24s and your problems will probably go away. Call Retention and tell them what you've told us and politely insist on getting replacement 24s.

Rich

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rich said:
Next time, I'd suggest calling Retention. What you want to do is dump those two terrible HRs and get updated to 24s and your problems will probably go away. Call Retention and tell them what you've told us and politely insist on getting replacement 24s.

Rich
I got lucky when i called DTV yesterday and got someone more than willing to help me. I received a HR24-500 today and so far it is working great. I may take your advice and get the other one replaced later on if I can pry it out of my daughter's hands.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.