DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HR20-700, and I'm wanting to upgrade to an HR21. I've known about the HR21-100 for some time, but now I see HR21-200 models available on EBay. What are the differences between these HR21 models?

(I've tried searching the forums for this information, but didn't find anything. If there's already a thread for this, please forgive my redundant post and point me to the existing thread.)

·
Lifetime Achiever
10,839 Posts
:welcome_s to DBSTalk, kevo58!

The only difference between the HR21's is the layout of the inside. Other than that the all function the same and have the same features.

As for going from the HR20 to an HR21 is not a upgrade or downgrade really.

The only differences between the two is the HR20's are silver and the HR21's are black. The HR20's have built in OTA tuners and the HR21's need an add on unit AM21 for OTA tuners. The HR21's have a 2nd ethernet connection that can be used to connect a 2nd device to your home network and the HR20's do not have it. Other than that the function the same and have all the same features.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome. I've been folowing this forum for several years, and this is my first time I'm actually asking for advice.

As for my comment about it being an "upgrade" from HR20, I like that the HR21 is much quieter and cooler than the HR20, and since all our other AV equipment is black, my wife is keen on the DVR being black, too. So yeah, it's an upgrade for us. :p

Let me refine my question a bit: Is there an advantage to getting the HR21-200 over the HR21-100? Or are they functionally the same?

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
In my experience, the HR21 is definitely quieter than the HR20 (both of mine are -700s). I had moved the HR20 to the bedroom and my wife complained that it was keeping her awake, so the HR21 is back there. Before switching to HD, I had tried a HDVR2 in the bedroom and it was pretty noisy also, so I replaced it with a R15.

The HR20 does seem a bit more stable to me, but that may just be this particular unit.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Michael D'Angelo;1663461 said:
No it does not matter what one you get. The HR21-200 and -100 (and -700 for that matter) all function the same.
As one who had both the HR21-700 and also the HR21-200 (and did the First Looks on them, so I got to see the innards...), I can tell you that the differences are small enough to list on a matchbook cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.