DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Placed an order for upgrade from SD PLUS DVR;s to HD DVR's on 4/2/12. Installation with 5LNB slimline dish and two HR21-700 receivers took place on 4/5/12.

First, installation went well connecting to two Samsung UH40 inch LED tv's. All looked good but one receiver & tv have serious pixelization on random HD channels while same channel on other setup is fine. Reset receiver, checked cabling etc. signal strength 95+ on all transponders on both receivers.

Could it be faulty receiver or some other problem.

Second, DTV says these are latest receivers but looking at forum they seem to be older models.

Any comments, will be appreciated!

· Icon
537 Posts
Who at Directv told you that your HR21 receivers are the latest model? The HR21 dates back to 2007 and is refurbished(what a joke). I would suspect your problem receiver is bad. Call for a replacement and don't take no for an answer.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnp37 said:
Who at Directv told you that your HR21 receivers are the latest model? The HR21 dates back to 2007 and is refurbished(what a joke). I would suspect your problem receiver is bad. Call for a replacement and don't take no for an answer.
thanks for response, so far lot's of views only your response. I've contacted DTV for receiver replacement we'll see what happens. Let you know, again thanks.

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
Even though your HR21 is not the absolute newest model, the HR20-HR24's are considered functionally equivalent by Directv. If you have one that is acting up, they could replace it with any HR2x model. They don't promise the latest model or even brand new equipment at the time of install. Their hardware model is virtually no different than any other tv provider currently.

· Icon
537 Posts
The OP stated that Directv told him that the HR21 was the latest model which is not true. Also, to say that the HR21 is a functional equivalent to the current model be it the HR24 or the HMC34 is quite a stretch to say the least.

· Premium Member
11,520 Posts
johnp37 said:
The OP stated that Directv told him that the HR21 was the latest model which is not true. Also, to say that the HR21 is a functional equivalent to the current model be it the HR24 or the HMC34 is quite a stretch to say the least.
Really? All HD DVRs perform the same "tasks" which makes them functionally equivalent. The only differences are size, speed, built in DECA, hard drive size, model number, ect.

· Mentor
48 Posts
Had the exact same thing happen when I first upgraded to HD awhile back. They brought over a used HR21 and everything went great until that evening I started getting pixelation on all the HD Channels.

D* got on it VERY quick though, I called them at lunch time the following Monday, and by 5:00 that evening they had someone to come out and replace the receiver.

· Icon
537 Posts
DLP2008 said:
Had the exact same thing happen when I first upgraded to HD awhile back. They brought over a used HR21 and everything went great until that evening I started getting pixelation on all the HD Channels.

D* got on it VERY quick though, I called them at lunch time the following Monday, and by 5:00 that evening they had someone to come out and replace the receiver.
Just curious, but what did D* replace it with? Hopefully a true latest model and not one just "functionally equivalent".

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
johnp37 said:
Just curious, but what did D* replace it with? Hopefully a true latest model and not one just "functionally equivalent".
just curious, who should get the refurb receivers or as a matter of fact, what DirecTV should do with these "old" receivers?

· Icon
537 Posts
peds48 said:
just curious, who should get the refurb receivers or as a matter of fact, what DirecTV should do with these "old" receivers?
Quite honestly,if any receiver is returned to Directv which is ACTUALLY tested and found to be completely viable or any returned receiver in need of work whether cosmetically or electronically and is restored to full reliable functionality, I see no reason not to be sent out as replacement receivers. Any returned receiver failing the above criteria should be stripped of good, working usable components and scrapped/properly recycled, period.

· Mentor
48 Posts
johnp37 said:
The replacement was an HR22. This happened about a year ago. Not long ago, though, (less than a month) another HR21 of mine messed up, and they brought a brand new HR24. Its just the luck of the draw, I suppose.

· Icon
880 Posts
I wonder if Directv has done a cost analysis lately of the man hours wasted and costs associated(nevermind potential lost customers) with having to deal with these faulty older receivers that they regurgitate back out into the wild. :nono2:

I'd think at this point on at LEAST upgrades(from say SD to HD) they would start saving themselves some headaches and money and start only doling out HR24's on up. I know the installer I had for my HR34, a month or so ago said he now only gets HR24s on his truck and hasn't seen anything less in months.

MysteryMan said:
Really? All HD DVRs perform the same "tasks" which makes them functionally equivalent. The only differences are size, speed, built in DECA, hard drive size, model number, ect.
But it's HOW they perfom those tasks that to me makes them functionally unequivolent.

On my remaining HR20(and on my previous HR20 and HR21) I could type in channel 265 and many times end up going to channel 26 and then 5 because the box couldn't process the digits fast enough before the "change channel" timer ran out.

That doesn't happen on my on my HR24(or HR34 for that matter) because it's fast enough to work though the poor programming. So that "speed" you mention has a lot to do with how the box functions at times.

· Premium Member
11,520 Posts
Chuck W said:
I wonder if Directv has done a cost analysis lately of the man hours wasted and costs associated(nevermind potential lost customers) with having to deal with these faulty older receivers that they regurgitate back out into the wild. :nono2:

I'd think at this point on at LEAST upgrades(from say SD to HD) they would start saving themselves some headaches and money and start only doling out HR24's on up. I know the installer I had for my HR34, a month or so ago said he now only gets HR24s on his truck and hasn't seen anything less in months.

But it's HOW they perfom those tasks that to me makes them functionally unequivolent.

On my remaining HR20(and on my previous HR20 and HR21) I could type in channel 265 and many times end up going to channel 26 and then 5 because the box couldn't process the digits fast enough before the "change channel" timer ran out.

That doesn't happen on my on my HR24(or HR34 for that matter) because it's fast enough to work though the poor programming. So that "speed" you mention has a lot to do with how the box functions at times.
So with you way of thinking a Volkswagen can be considered functionally unequivolent when compared to a Rolls Royce even though they both perform the same basic tasks. I don't deny the issues people are having with their receivers but there can be a variety of reasons as to why they are happening. Receiver malfunction, receiver settings, remote malfunction, user entering the wrong command on the remote, TV backlighting, A/V receiver video processor, ect. In time the HR24s and HR34 will seem functionally unequivelent when compared to the receivers of the future for people with your way of thinking.

· Icon
880 Posts
MysteryMan said:
So with you way of thinking a Volkswagen can be considered functionally unequivolent when compared to a Rolls Royce even though they both perform the same basic tasks. I don't deny the issues people are having with their receivers but there can be a variety of reasons as to why they are happening. Receiver malfunction, receiver settings, remote malfunction, user entering the wrong command on the remote, TV backlighting, A/V receiver video processor, ect. In time the HR24s and HR34 will seem functionally unequivelent when compared to the receivers of the future for people with your way of thinking.
If the Volkwagon and Rolls get your from point A to point B the same way, then yest they are. However, if the Volkswagon took you to point C first and then point D, forcing you to then drive from point D back to point B, then no, they aren't.

In time the HR24s and HR34 will seem functionally unequivelent when compared to the receivers of the future for people with your way of thinking.
That depends. A lot of the issues with the older receivers stems from shoddy programming. The shoddy programming causes a need for faster/more processing power to deal with what needs to be done. The older boxes just aren't able to handle it, while the HR24/34 is.

It will come down to Directv being able able to keep their code optimized and also stop designing it illogically. I say illogical because of the channel changing issue. Why would you force the box to change the channel at a certain time interval, even if you know there are(or before you at least check for) digits remaining in the buffer?

ANyway, this is not the thread to get into that here.

· Premium Member
11,520 Posts
Chuck W said:
If the Volkwagon and Rolls get your from point A to point B the same way, then yest they are. However, if the Volkswagon took you to point C first and then point D, forcing you to then drive from point D back to point B, then no, they aren't.

That depends. A lot of the issues with the older receivers stems from shoddy programming. The shoddy programming causes a need for faster/more processing power to deal with what needs to be done. The older boxes just aren't able to handle it, while the HR24/34 is.

It will come down to Directv being able able to keep their code optimized and also stop designing it illogically. I say illogical because of the channel changing issue. Why would you force the box to change the channel at a certain time interval, even if you know there are(or before you at least check for) digits remaining in the buffer?

ANyway, this is not the thread to get into that here.
And is your analogy of DirecTV using "shoddy programming" and "illogical design" based on your opinion or facts?

· Icon
880 Posts
MysteryMan said:
And is your analogy of DirecTV using "shoddy programming" and "illogical design" based on your opinion or facts?
I guess if you can find someone(besides Directv programmers ;) ) who thinks taking you to channel 26 then channel 5, when you enter 265, is logical, I'll say it's opinion. :lol:

· Premium Member
11,520 Posts
Chuck W said:
I guess if you can find someone who thinks taking you to channel 26 then channel 5, when you enter 265, is logical, I'll say it's opinion. :lol:
Your entitled to your opinion but it still doesn't prove shoddy programimng or illogical design. ;)

· Icon
712 Posts
What was the title of this thread? The thread the OP started? I think is was about the HR21-700 installation on 4/5/12. Now, it is about Volkswagens and channel changing. What is wrong with that picture? I suggest you buy a Bentley. Best wishes!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.