DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
System freezes to gray screen. I called DTV and was told to check my software version. I had 0x235 so she told me to force a software download because they just released a new version. The new software downloaded and she told me to call back if it happened again. After we hung up, I checked to see what version I have and it still says 0x235. Why didn't I get the new software? Has anyone else had this freezing problem? Thanks for any help.

· Registered
2,143 Posts
235 is the current version for many of the units out there right now, 251 is slowly being rolled out nationally, but that may be on hold, since the CE release last night is supposed to be a replacement for 251.

As far as the freezing is concerned, that may be an isolated issue. When that happens, many people just restart their unit without the download of the current software and that solves the problem more often than not. The CSR you talked to may have thought that you were supposed to have 251 and not 235, but I don't think that they really know what software is being rolled out to what areas until the software is fully released nationally.

· AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have just posted here first. I spent 45 minutes on the phone for nothing. Anyway, it's frozen probably 3 or 4 times in the last week and when I restart, it's fine. So you think this is not software related and I probably need a new HR20?

· AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just froze again. I tried to rewind a recorded show and the picture froze. I pressed the power button and then it wouldn't turn back on but the record light was still on. It would not respond so I had to unplug it. So is this a software or hardware problem? Thanks!

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
I have 235 on a HR20-700. I have had virtually no problems of note since getting it in December, and got 235 on 6-17. Since then I have been getting freezes as well. The picture freezes, sometimes the audio, and sometimes the audio a bit later. Then it's totally unresponsive until RBR. It also seems like its not responding quickly to the remote for a few minutes before this happens. It also seems to only happen if I FFW/RW or jump back.

It happened a couple times on Wednesday, and I unplugged it for an hour, and then it seemed OK until Friday night, where I had to do 4 RBRs to get through a viewing of "Disturbia".

WTF?

· AllStar
74 Posts
About the same as TomCat here. No real problems for over a year until this week.

I can't get through 1 recorded program without one or more freezes. Occurs with both HD and SD content. For me - if I wait while the picture is frozen, I seem to recover after about 2 to 5 minutes. Then, all is fine, and I MIGHT make it through the entire program. Sometimes after a freeze, my FF or 30sec skip becomes a little skittish... like the picture freezes during FF, but I'm still FF'ding - I just don't know where I'm at!

The first time this happened, the remote became non-responsive, but recovered enough for me to do a menu reboot. That didn't really help though - I'm typing this because my Doctor who recording is frozen right now!

It seems after reading a some of the "235 messed up my box" posts, many people are having variations of the same symptom; meaning, we freeze up but recovery and after effects and remote responsiveness are different. Hey, Doctor Who is running again!!!!

Anyway, I'll wait for 251. I just wanted to post a "me too".

· AllStar
94 Posts
I saw this for the first time this week as well. I've seen it on 2 programs, both recorded off MPEG4 signals. The recordings seem to be fine - I've watched them through - but while I was watching they froze the HR20 every time I paused - I had to watch them straight through. Trick play was fine, but pausing was the kiss of death.

ETA - sorry about the duplicate posts - apparently the HR20 isn't the only device giving me fits :D :D

· Legend
115 Posts
During the last few months, a weird problem has been happening: Receiver: HR21-700. Software: Current NR Version. While fast forwarding through a recorded show, MAINLY HD CONTENT but sometimes SD content as well, the picture will "stall" and I then have no control over the remote. No matter what button I press, the FF will go in frame increments, as though it's stuck or confused. The blue light on the receiver will turn very slow but only one frame at a time will slooooowly FF on the tv. After about a minute, it will finally catch up and FF to the speed you request. It has done this with the last two national releases and it's doing it really bad with the latest NR release 251. It's getting so bad, that I'm about ready to ask Directv for a new receiver. I've had this receiver for about 5-6 months and don't remember it acting this way until about three months ago. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could it be a software bug and/or hardware issue? Just curious, since I posted this earlier on another forum and see that others are having a similar problem. It's looking more and more like a software bug.

· Godfather
591 Posts
The beat goes on...

Maybe beyond my time left here on earth Directv will have working equipment...until then I am forced to use my son's R10 Tivo. Im sorry but the R10 is at least 100% reliable and does what it should.

I don't miss my HR20 other than the HD...its just a box! When will it be safe to have a HD DVR?? God how long does this go on and on and on and on????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

· AllStar
52 Posts
Yeah, count me in on this one too-- two nights in a row for me. I have a couple datapoints to add. It's happened twice to me. I don't think it's frozen-- just *extremely* slow when on a HD channel.

Turned on TV, Grey screen, went to the play list and started a SD show. It started just fine. I then stopped it (forget why-- I think I wanted to change channels to buffer up a show while I watched the SD show). It was then I noticed the unresponsiveness. I wound up pushing chan-up and it went to the SD version of the channel (one of the starz channels I think) and things were normal. I went back down to the HD channel and it got glacial again. Finally (after literally minutes) I got the SD recording to play again and it played just fine with good reaction for trick plays. When it ended, it went glacial again. It was recording another HD channel so I waited until the recording was done and then (over the course of 5 minute) managed to change to a SD channel and perform a reboot via the menu. Was fine after the reboot.

2nd time, was grey again (this time on UHD I think, though I'm not sure). Again no bad recordings, but Had to be patient for the menus to come up so I could reboot it from the menus. Didn't try RBR or power. Last night I had no problems.

I got message noting that I had updated software about a week or two ago, but I don't know off the top of my head what version it just went to. I'd 3 days ago was the first time I'd ever noticed that problem.

· AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could someone please advise what we are supposed to do? Are we to wait until the next software release or call DTV and demand a new receiver? I don't pay for protection plan and don't think it's fair that I have to pay for a new receiver just because they released flawed software.

· DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
Ugh, I was just counting my blessings that I hadn't had any blank recordings in awhile. Now I've had to RBR 3 times today to get out of lockups.

Most of the time I'm really happy with the HR20-700. But sometimes this thing is just the most ridiculous DVR ever.

· AllStar
52 Posts
cstelter said:
I got message noting that I had updated software about a week or two ago, but I don't know off the top of my head what version it just went to. I'd 3 days ago was the first time I'd ever noticed that problem.
so I was on 251 when I got the grey screen glacial problem. It happened twice in the week or two that I had it. Last night I got 254, so we'll see if I get it again.

· Legend
127 Posts
5 ACES said:
During the last few months, a weird problem has been happening: Receiver: HR21-700. Software: Current NR Version. While fast forwarding through a recorded show, MAINLY HD CONTENT but sometimes SD content as well, the picture will "stall" and I then have no control over the remote. No matter what button I press, the FF will go in frame increments, as though it's stuck or confused. The blue light on the receiver will turn very slow but only one frame at a time will slooooowly FF on the tv. After about a minute, it will finally catch up and FF to the speed you request. It has done this with the last two national releases and it's doing it really bad with the latest NR release 251. It's getting so bad, that I'm about ready to ask Directv for a new receiver. I've had this receiver for about 5-6 months and don't remember it acting this way until about three months ago. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could it be a software bug and/or hardware issue? Just curious, since I posted this earlier on another forum and see that others are having a similar problem. It's looking more and more like a software bug.
I had my receiver replaced a week ago for the same problem. It didn't help.

BTW, do you have AM21 connected to your receiver?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.