DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, my HR21-700 won't connect to the internet. I have had it about a year, and have never had this issue before. It is connected to my Netgear router with an ethernet cable. I have done a menu reset of the HR21-700, and rebooted my router and DSL modem. Other devices (a desktop, wired, and a laptop, wireless, connect fine. On the advanced network settings screen of the HR21-700, the settings show: IP Address, 10.0.0.3, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 10.0.0.1, DNS 10.0.0.1. (The address of the router is 10.0.0.1) The MAC address matches the mac address for 10.0.0.3 that my router gives. The router shows 10.0.0.3 as an attached device, and says it is a DIRECTV-HR21-C30ADE48. If I unplug the Ethernet cable, and refresh the device list in the router, the HR-21-700 disappears. If I connect the Ethernet wire and refresh the device listing in the router, the HR21-700 reappears. But no internet access from the HR21-700. If I disconnect the Ethernet cable from the HR21-700 and connect it to my laptop (after disabling wireless access from the laptop) the laptop connects to the internet via the Ethernet cable.

Anybody have any ideas for a cure?

·
Legend
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm the OP, here's one more item of information:

On the more system info screen, it says:

Code:
IP Address              10.0.0.3
Subnet Mask           255.255.255.0
Default Gateway      10.0.0.1
DNS                       10.0.0.1
STB Services Port    ! N/A(301)
Status                    -
Audio Services Port     -
Network                    Connected
Internet                   ! Not Connected(22)

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
BennyGregg said:
This morning, my HR21-700 won't connect to the internet. I have had it about a year, and have never had this issue before. It is connected to my Netgear router with an ethernet cable. I have done a menu reset of the HR21-700, and rebooted my router and DSL modem. Other devices (a desktop, wired, and a laptop, wireless, connect fine. On the advanced network settings screen of the HR21-700, the settings show: IP Address, 10.0.0.3, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 10.0.0.1, DNS 10.0.0.1. (The address of the router is 10.0.0.1) The MAC address matches the mac address for 10.0.0.3 that my router gives. The router shows 10.0.0.3 as an attached device, and says it is a DIRECTV-HR21-C30ADE48. If I unplug the Ethernet cable, and refresh the device list in the router, the HR-21-700 disappears. If I connect the Ethernet wire and refresh the device listing in the router, the HR21-700 reappears. But no internet access from the HR21-700. If I disconnect the Ethernet cable from the HR21-700 and connect it to my laptop (after disabling wireless access from the laptop) the laptop connects to the internet via the Ethernet cable.

Anybody have any ideas for a cure?
Go into networking and re-run the network set up and see if that helps. An RBR may also get things going.

·
Legend
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go into networking and re-run the network set up and see if that helps. An RBR may also get things going.
You mean "Connect Now"? I've done that several times. At the conclusion of the "Connect Now" proccess, it says "We were not able to connect to the internet..." I choose "Get Connected'. At the end of that process, it shows that the network is connected, but not connected to the internet(22).

Would a RBR be better in this case than a menu reset, which I have already done?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
The menu reset is the best.

"Here's what I'd try":
Pull the power cord to the router for over 2 mins.
Then power it up [this should clear anything causing this there].
Then menu reset the receiver.
The 301 error I wouldn't worry about now, as this is for the network services and they aren't needed these days.
The error 22 is what you need to clear.
I have gotten the 301 error and haven't found any way to clear it but simply wait and it will turn to a 202 error and this means TVApps will work [for me].

·
Legend
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did both menu resets and rbr's, but they didn't help. I read this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=180814 about a similar difficulty and changed the DNS setting on my router from "Get automatically from ISP" to "Use these DNS servers" and entered google's free DNS server addresses. All of a sudden, my HR21-700 connected to the internet. By the way, my internet server is AT&T DSL.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
BennyGregg said:
I did both menu resets and rbr's, but they didn't help. I read this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=180814 about a similar difficulty and changed the DNS setting on my router from "Get automatically from ISP" to "Use these DNS servers" and entered google's free DNS server addresses. All of a sudden, my HR21-700 connected to the internet. By the way, my internet server is AT&T DSL.
Glad you got it working. I personally assign my DNS manually at my router and also do fixed IP's for all of my devices on the network (about 24). I have never had a network problem since I have done that. I also manually port forwarded all of the required addresses (2 for each DTV receiver) and network services now work as do TV Apps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.