DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've got an HR21-700 and am looking to upgrade. We've got whole home DVR (had to bypass the adapter box and plug the receiver directly into the ethernet switch). My contract is about to expire. I want to ditch the HR21 and upgrade, but need some guidance.

First off, we like the whole home DVR, but we don't really use it very often so we could live without the whole home part. I'd really just like a more responsive receiver (the HR21 is painfully slow). I'd also like to avoid getting a new contract, but I'm not sure if that is possible. I'm trying to figure out if I should try for an HR24 or go for an HR34, or is there some other options.

Can anyone make some recommendations for me?

· This Space for Sale
7,436 Posts
Any upgrades will require another contract. The only two DVRs you can order from DirecTV are the 34 Genie or a TiVo. Since you aren't big on whole home, you might want to take a look at the TiVo (under First Looks). Good luck.

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
If you want something other than the HR21, your only option is to get the HR34 (Genie) through D*, or get a specific model from another provider (like solid signal).

It's unlikely D* will give you any discounts to "upgrade", but you never know until you call, and any way you do it there'll be a new commitment.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
bainbridgematt said:
So that makes me assume that there is no way to just purchase a receiver without having to get a new contract huh?
There are a few owned receivers and DVRs that people sell and you can buy and activate without a contract. But you have to be careful. Get the receiver ID number (RID) then call DirecTV and confirm that you can activate the unit if you buy it. Check the buy/sell forum here for units.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.