DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a HR21 delivered tomorrow and I have a question in regards to install. This box will be replacing a H20. Currently all the lines coming from the dish are taken (2 for a R15, 1 for a D11 and 1 for the H20). My question is can i take the line that is currentl going to the H20 plug it into a Zinwell WB68 and run the two outs needed for the HR21. Please keep in mind because of the current configuration the only line that will be going into the WB68 will be the line that is currently being used by the H20. Thanks.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
No, the switch doesn't work that way. In order to provide any of the 4 possible configurations to any of the 8 outputs at any given time, it must have all 4 lines from the dish's LNB connected to the first 4 inputs of the switch. The outputs are then run to the receivers. You will need an extra line run from the switch to where the HR21 is going to be installed in order for both tuners to work.

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool, well that will makes things a lot easier.... i am going to keep the caps on and maybe secure them with duct tape to make sure they stay on. Also living in the NE there is a chance it may be covered in snow.. will that affect it?

· Registered
8,671 Posts
They are a lot tougher than you might think..
That said mounting under an eve as well as weather caps in place is a good idea..
I had one right out on my dish for over a year in MI winter and had no problems..

· Cool Member
22 Posts
So just to tag onto this discussion...and I didn't think this was so tough but it seems to be confusing.

I currently have an HR20-700 and a Hughes HDVR2 installed and running. I just purchased an HR22 and need to get it connected. To connect it I am/will purchase a WB68.

Just so I am clear, once the WB68 is installed I will reconnect the two cables going to each of the existing boxes and run another set of two cables to the HR22. This will leave me one pair of connectors for one more box should I decide to expand. Is this accurate or am I completely not getting it?

An additional question or three, would the SWM8 be a better choice? And would the HDVR2 still work with the SWM8? And with the SWM8 I would need a splitter on the back of each box to get both tuners?

Whew! Didn't realize this would be or seem so complicated!

Thanks

Colin

· Registered
5,915 Posts
My answers in red ;)

ColinWD said:
So just to tag onto this discussion...and I didn't think this was so tough but it seems to be confusing.

I currently have an HR20-700 and a Hughes HDVR2 installed and running. I just purchased an HR22 and need to get it connected. To connect it I am/will purchase a WB68.

Correct

Just so I am clear, once the WB68 is installed I will reconnect the two cables going to each of the existing boxes and run another set of two cables to the HR22. This will leave me one pair of connectors for one more box should I decide to expand. Is this accurate or am I completely not getting it?

Correct. 4 from the dish to WB68, reconnect the others and run 2 new lines to the HR22.

An additional question or three, would the SWM8 be a better choice?

Probably not, unless you only want to run 1 line instead of 2 to the new HR22 and you want to spend the money for a SWM8.

And would the HDVR2 still work with the SWM8?

Yes, you would just have to connect it to 2 of the legacy ports. It will NOT work with the SWMLine LNB though as that has no legacy ports.

And with the SWM8 I would need a splitter on the back of each box to get both tuners?

No, on the HR2x receivers you just need one line from the SWM to the first tuner, it internally splits it. The HDVR2 would still require 2 lines though as it would not be using the SWM technology...it would be on the legacy ports.

Whew! Didn't realize this would be or seem so complicated!

Thanks

Colin
Really there is no advantage going SWM in your current case as it would just mean running one line instead of two, and if you can run one you can run two usually ;)

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Thanks Grentz for your answers. Makes it all clear now.

· Cool Member
22 Posts
OK - got the WB68 yesterday and started looking at the instructions for hooking it up making sure I RTFM before I start asking dumb questions. Now, here is my dilemma, instructions say you can plug the 4 output cables from the dish to the switch in any order, however the inputs on the switch are labeled with different voltages and satellite locations.

I just want to make sure I get them connected the correct way before I start beating my head against a wall trying to figure out why it isn't working right. Also since I have a Hughes HDVR2 will it make a difference to that receiver how the dish outputs are connected?

Thanks again for the help.

· Registered
8,671 Posts
ColinWD said:
OK - got the WB68 yesterday and started looking at the instructions for hooking it up making sure I RTFM before I start asking dumb questions. Now, here is my dilemma, instructions say you can plug the 4 output cables from the dish to the switch in any order, however the inputs on the switch are labeled with different voltages and satellite locations.

I just want to make sure I get them connected the correct way before I start beating my head against a wall trying to figure out why it isn't working right. Also since I have a Hughes HDVR2 will it make a difference to that receiver how the dish outputs are connected?

Thanks again for the help.
Inputs only matter if you have 2 switches in parallel (have to match between switches)
outputs are all the same..

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Yup, as long as you just have the single multiswitch, you can hook the cables up in any order from the dish.

They will automatically be assigned the proper locations by the WB68 (the Dish outputs can all output all the combinations, just one at a time)

· Icon
818 Posts
Grentz said:
Yup, as long as you just have the single multiswitch, you can hook the cables up in any order from the dish.

They will automatically be assigned the proper locations by the WB68 (the Dish outputs can all output all the combinations, just one at a time)
A little more explanation on this.

The switch acts like 4 receivers, requesting the 4 satellite combinations that the dish's switch can produce. In this way, the multiswitch has all possible signals going into it at all times. It then sends the correct combination to each line from the receivers as required.

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Thanks to everyone!

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Well - got everything installed yesterday and am having a heck of a time getting the HR22 to get all of the satellites on all the tuners. I ran the setup and select the Slimline 5 even though I have an AT9 dish. The HR20 and the HDVR2 seem happy and I am getting everything there with no issues. I used existing cable from the WB68 to the HR22 so I don't think that is the issue but I guess should go back in and check connections etc. Not sure what else to do at this point. Any suggestions from the pros out there?

· Registered
8,671 Posts
ColinWD said:
Well - got everything installed yesterday and am having a heck of a time getting the HR22 to get all of the satellites on all the tuners. I ran the setup and select the Slimline 5 even though I have an AT9 dish. The HR20 and the HDVR2 seem happy and I am getting everything there with no issues. I used existing cable from the WB68 to the HR22 so I don't think that is the issue but I guess should go back in and check connections etc. Not sure what else to do at this point. Any suggestions from the pros out there?
If you have a couple barrel connectors, try connecting two lines from the dish to the lines from the hr22 (bypass the wb68)... this will at least verify the cables/bbcs..
Sometimes if you have a marginal cable the extra load with the switch can put it over the line too.. recheck all the ends to make sure they look good..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.