DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Banned
614 Posts
dsstalkcom said:
is DTV really coming out with the HR21 next month?

i know broadcom is working on the chip for both HR21 and H21. also that DTV wants it by next month.
Where are you getting this info from?:confused:

Is this what you are referring to by David Joseph Edgar Curriculum Vitae:
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...r21&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

Pace Micro Technology PLC - Shipley
At Pace I have been working on High Definition TV Personnel Video Recorder (PVR) STB's for a large American
Satellite Network (DirecTV®). These STB's (the HR20 and HR21) were designed around the Broadcom
BCM7038/BCM7411 and BCM7401 family of devices and were used to implement MPEG-2/MPEG-4/DSS
decoding/recording/streaming. The front end consisted of three DVB-S/DVBS-2/DSS satellite tuners from Conexant and two ATSC terrestrial tuner modules (NIM's). The tuners/demodulators were accessed via I
2C links. I was working on the Linux Kernel (base version 2.6.12), Linux Device Driver layer (including PCI) in kernel space/interrupt context and the streaming of audio visual data to and from the Hard Drive which included supporting'Trick Modes'. The software was written in 'C'/'C++' and ran on integrated MIPS R5000/R3000 processors under the Linux Kernel. Development was PC hosted and used the GNU tool chain. CVS was used for configuration control, Microsoft Word for documentation and Bugzilla for bug tracking.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
There is no main stream new unit being developed.

It is possible the renamed the HR20P to the HR21 to avoid any confusion.

· Legend
179 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Earl

For us newbe's what is the HR20P?:D

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts

· Godfather
439 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

So, this unit isn't for mainstream distribution? Is it for commercial purposes?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
tiger2005 said:
So, this unit isn't for mainstream distribution? Is it for commercial purposes?
I ment main stream as the average consumer.

The HR20p is not targetting the "average joe"

· Banned
614 Posts

· Godfather
439 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I ment main stream as the average consumer.

The HR20p is not targetting the "average joe"
Thanks, Earl! Any idea how much this bad boy will run and how long until you get one and post a review? :D

· Registered
2,913 Posts
tiger2005 said:
Thanks, Earl! Any idea how much this bad boy will run and how long until you get one and post a review? :D
The article says $1500-$2000 (pocket change).

Earl - An chance I can put my application in now to be an offical DTV beta tester? :D

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
tiger2005 said:
Radio Enginerd said:

Earl - An chance I can put my application in now to be an offical DTV beta tester? :D
Well as most you know there is no external DirecTV Beta program.. at least not yet (I know they have intrigued as of late... most because of all the information obtained from this forum and others)....

You will be sure to hear about it here, if they ever do open up applications for official beta testing...

As for when I get to do a review... :) No idea yet... there are a few other things that I might get to review before it is out.

· Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:

Hey maybe Retention will cut deals for s/h only.:D

· AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cybrsurfer said:
Where are you getting this info from?:confused:

Is this what you are referring to by David Joseph Edgar Curriculum Vitae:
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...r21&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

Pace Micro Technology PLC - Shipley
At Pace I have been working on High Definition TV Personnel Video Recorder (PVR) STB's for a large American
Satellite Network (DirecTV®). These STB's (the HR20 and HR21) were designed around the Broadcom
BCM7038/BCM7411 and BCM7401 family of devices and were used to implement MPEG-2/MPEG-4/DSS
decoding/recording/streaming. The front end consisted of three DVB-S/DVBS-2/DSS satellite tuners from Conexant and two ATSC terrestrial tuner modules (NIM's). The tuners/demodulators were accessed via I
2C links. I was working on the Linux Kernel (base version 2.6.12), Linux Device Driver layer (including PCI) in kernel space/interrupt context and the streaming of audio visual data to and from the Hard Drive which included supporting'Trick Modes'. The software was written in 'C'/'C++' and ran on integrated MIPS R5000/R3000 processors under the Linux Kernel. Development was PC hosted and used the GNU tool chain. CVS was used for configuration control, Microsoft Word for documentation and Bugzilla for bug tracking.
i have a friend that works at Broadcom. he is writing test program for the chips. i told him i have a HR20 and it seems to be working okay, but that i read that the HR20 has many bugs and some would say it is not too stable. i got the HR20 for my father. as far as i know it is working fine. i do not think he does much with it besides just manual record and playback.

anyway, my friend at Broadcom said he is writing a test program for the HR21 and H21. something about 2 feeds and 3 coming out. and the other test is for 1 feed and 2 coming out. that is all he said. not sure what that is about.

sounds to me DTV is considering going with a Broadcom chips.

Broadcom does chips for both Dishnetwork and DTV. i think DTV is more recent. they have been doing chips for Dishnetwork at least 2 yrs+

2 Posts
dsstalkcom said:
i have a friend that works at Broadcom. he is writing test program for the chips. i told him i have a HR20 and it seems to be working okay, but that i read that the HR20 has many bugs and some would say it is not too stable. i got the HR20 for my father. as far as i know it is working fine. i do not think he does much with it besides just manual record and playback.

anyway, my friend at Broadcom said he is writing a test program for the HR21 and H21. something about 2 feeds and 3 coming out. and the other test is for 1 feed and 2 coming out. that is all he said. not sure what that is about.

sounds to me DTV is considering going with a Broadcom chips.

Broadcom does chips for both Dishnetwork and DTV. i think DTV is more recent. they have been doing chips for Dishnetwork at least 2 yrs+
dsstalk,

Assuming your friend has not yet gotten himself terminated for publicizing details of unreleased products...

Have you heard anything new about this unit?

The product briefs could support a theory that it is merely a cost reduced version, eliminating redundant decoders.

Stability issues are usually caused by bad software, since hardware/chip engineers are typically more disciplined and meticulous. So this is probably not the impetus for a redesign.

Obviously nothing came out for Xmas.

Any news at all?

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Looks like I'll be headed to CES this year and maybe Directv will have some updates for us there. :)

· Cool Member
27 Posts
Man. This is what I need. I have 2 HR20's on a rack in my basement feeding 2 different rooms. No sharing capabilities between the two as it is configured now.

I might have to get a 21 if/when they come out. Hopefully, they have a very big drive, though...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.