DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Tain't ogre til its ogre
14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping some installers can comment on the USB interface for communication. I'm considering writing an application to control them via the USB interface if that is doable via USB. Based on some installer documents it is doable, but I'd like to get a confirmation. My reasoning for doing this is that I have multiple DVRs in a media closet and I intend to get more so that I have a total of 4. I can use one PC and connect to all four via the USB and effectively select which one to control via the PC with only one set of IR commands, since there are only 3 IR settings (and only 2 that I'm aware for HRs).

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Also, if an application like this would help with your installs perhaps we can collaborate. I am purely a hobbyist, so I am talking just prototyping a system, nothing for primetime.

· Hall Of Fame
1,764 Posts
smiddy said:
I am hoping some installers can comment on the USB interface for communication. I'm considering writing an application to control them via the USB interface if that is doable via USB. Based on some installer documents it is doable, but I'd like to get a confirmation. My reasoning for doing this is that I have multiple DVRs in a media closet and I intend to get more so that I have a total of 4. I can use one PC and connect to all four via the USB and effectively select which one to control via the PC with only one set of IR commands, since there are only 3 IR settings (and only 2 that I'm aware for HRs).

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Also, if an application like this would help with your installs perhaps we can collaborate. I am purely a hobbyist, so I am talking just prototyping a system, nothing for primetime.
Maybe wrong but do not think the USB ports are active at all

· Registered
8,671 Posts
from what I last heard they work for serial control (with USB>serial adapter).. there is a thread somewhere about how to do it.. User crestonpro would know more..

14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the documentation I have, you have to reboot with USB connected (not hot swappable) before it will recognize the port. For you guys with an AM21, give it a shot and see what occurs. I am going to go for it in th ecoming days to see if I can control my DVRs more effectively.

14,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HDTVsportsfan said:
TThat thread is many months old IIRC.

If i remember correctly the mods removed the thread until they got permission to leave it.
What was the issue, do you know. I don't want to do anything illegal or unethical. I just want to control my DVRs...this seems like a very appealing option given I will have 4 in the same location.

· Registered
5,747 Posts
I can't remember.....it was some utility that allowed to do what sounds like you want to do. Control and send commands thru/to the USB port. The mods allowed the thread and reposted it. I don't thjink it got much mileage.

· Icon
507 Posts
wingrider01 said:
Maybe wrong but do not think the USB ports are active at all
Don't tell my AM21 that... :lol:

smiddy said:
According to the documentation I have, you have to reboot with USB connected (not hot swappable) before it will recognize the port. For you guys with an AM21, give it a shot and see what occurs. I am going to go for it in th ecoming days to see if I can control my DVRs more effectively.
What do you want tested?

Isn't there also a USB port under the left front cover? I think I peeked once, but now I forget.

I was kinda surprised the AM21 did not provide a new USB port to replace the one it required.

· Icon
507 Posts
Draconis said:
houskamp, that document is a little old, they are currently on version 2.2.

You can find the updates at this website.

http://www.sbcatest.com/Techupdates.htm
Interesting document! Thanks.

From page 8 of DTV-MD-0058-DIRECTV Set-top Information for Installers-V2.2:

The USB port on most STBs support hot-plug. That means USB ports will work any time when a USB-serial adapter is plugged in. Only the HR20 and HR21 USB ports works differently. The USBserial adapter must be plugged before the STB is booted. If the USB connector is plugged in when the STB is running, it must be reset.

· AllStar
409 Posts
I know for a fact that a serial>usb works for channel changing. I have used this device on both a H21 and HR21 successfully with my ReplayTV.

Serial to USB controller

They also state that you can use this from a PC. They have a PC based test app that allowed me to connect a serial cable to my laptop and the USB end to the HR21 to test the channel changing function before installing it.

However, if your looking to do more than just channel changes, I can't address that. I would bet that the USB ports on the DVR's are limited in what commands they will pass.

Just my 2 cents.

· Hall Of Fame
1,764 Posts
EricJRW said:
Don't tell my AM21 that... :lol:

What do you want tested?

Isn't there also a USB port under the left front cover? I think I peeked once, but now I forget.

I was kinda surprised the AM21 did not provide a new USB port to replace the one it required.
Gues I was confusing it with a unhacked HR10

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.