DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy had an HR20 and it went out. He called to get a replacement and they sent him an HR21 Pro! Is this the norm? Can I hope my HR20 goes out and get an HR21 Pro as a replacement?

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
davring said:
Someone really screwed up. Maybe by chance he read the model number wrong, maybe just an HR21? Possibly an HR21R(refurb), HR21NC(no cables).
No I saw it, bigger, black, silver ring...HR21P or something like that inside the access card door.

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's funny is he's a guy that doesn't care what he has, he had no idea. I flipped out when I saw it and he still doesn't understand what he has. He didn't even know about the 500 GB hard drive.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
I can just see it now. Thread after thread of people incensed that they also had to replace their malfunctioning HR20, insisted on an HR21 Pro, and didn't get one. Then a tirade about how lousy DirecTV is because they won't provide HR21 Pro's as replacement units.

After all, SOMEONE ELSE GOT ONE - WHY CAN'T I HAVE ONE?????? Oy! :nono2:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,716 Posts
Same thing happened to a client of mine - just had his first HR21 installed, which totally died the next day! First, he called D* to have it replaced & they said they would send a replacement out. On top of this, he called the next day after this to ask about getting a 2nd HR21, since his wife decided after seeing HIS TV, that she now wanted an HD DVR, instead of the R22 that replaced her Tivo. (we're in a 72.5 market) After already getting a complete HD upgrade a couple days ago (1 HR21, 1 R22 & 1 H20 & new slimline dish for only $20) she says "yes, you qualify for another FREE HR21, complete with FREE installation". Of course, he takes her up on it.

Well then guess what shows up on his doorstep on the same day the installer is to bring out the 2nd HR21, but an HR21 PRO to replace the 1st dead unit - was I ever green with envy! But then I thought about it more & I'd still rather have my 2 HR20's, so that I don't have to screw around with those AM21's.

gregory said:
What's funny is he's a guy that doesn't care what he has, he had no idea. I flipped out when I saw it and he still doesn't understand what he has. He didn't even know about the 500 GB hard drive.
Same thing here; even the installer that came out to bring the 2nd DVR had even heard of these. (BIG surprise - NOT) After explaining exactly to my client what he ended up getting, we put it down on HIS TV BEFORE his wife came home, since she doesn't DVR all that much stuff. :D ;)

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
case management told me to call them direct if hy present hr20-100 started showing symptoms of dying so they can expedite a replacement before it dies.

hmmm, wonder if it will start acting flaky today :):)

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
David MacLeod said:
well you can't blame a guy for demanding... I mean trying.... :):D
I have all my Home Theater equipment rack-mounted, so I would have welcomed this kind of "substitution". I have a regular HR21-200 in there now (which works very well).

·
Legend
201 Posts
You'd have to drill screw holes into the side of any other model - not what I'd consider for anything I owned, and certainly not for something I leased! :)

- Chip

David MacLeod said:
slightly OT, I have not seen physical dimensions of pro posted (honestly did not look to hard) and always wondered if the rack ears could be fit onto another unit.

·
AllStar
50 Posts
mutelight said:
Is there any difference between the HR21 Pro and the HR22 besides the chassis?
Asde from the case having de-facto rack mount capability, the HR21 Pro also has more cooling fans, a serial port for use with external control devices (such as a Crestron system), and a HDMI over fiber optic tranceiver built in.

Other than that, I think it shares the same capacity and drives as the HR22.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.