DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Legend
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an H20 and an HR21 Pro connected to my Sharp LC46D64 - both using HDMI. The H20 has always been configured to put out ONLY 1080i, and I've never had a problem with that since I got it back in November last year.

The HR21 Pro, however - is...weird. I configure the settings to 1080i ONLY, but no matter what, the Sharp tells me that it is getting 720p. While changing settings, I've seen it momentarily "flicker" to 1080i before jumping back to 720p, but it doesn't want to "take" for whatever reason...

Also - since HDMI sources have the ability to provide their own name to the connected display, can someone tell me what "HMC" means? That's what shows up as the name for the input the Pro is connected to.

Thanks,
- Chip

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
I believe HMC is Home Media Center, but I don't think the source changes that. That's probably just the name Sharp assigned to that input.

Have you tried a different input?
Have you tried switching the HDMI cables?

· Legend
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spartanstew said:
I believe HMC is Home Media Center, but I don't think the source changes that. That's probably just the name Sharp assigned to that input.
Nope - this puppy takes a name from the HDMI source connected to it, although you can choose from a handful of other fixed names as an override if you like. When I first plugged in my H20, the name that appears onscreen when you select that HDMI input on the TV changed to "DSS-HD-IRD/H20". (Which looked stupid - thankfully one of the optional labels was "SATELLITE") If I unplug the HR21P, the input changes back to the default "INPUT 6" label...

spartanstew said:
Have you tried a different input?
Have you tried switching the HDMI cables?
I've moved the HR21Pro to the other two HDMI inputs - including the one the H20 uses - using the same cable, with the same results - can't break out of 720p. (And yes, the HMC label followed the connection) :)

The cable that the H20 is connected with is very firmly entrenched, so I'm going to try to get my hands on an entirely different cable to try with the HR21Pro. I figure that if the signaling lines in this cable work enough for the set to get the picture and communicate with the HR21P in the first place, a different cable isn't going to make any difference, but I'm not going to rule out the possibility until I try.

Thanks for the response - I'll come back after I've gotten another cable...

- Chip

· Legend
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Disclaimer: When I first set up my H20 last year, it automatically "locked" to 1080i when I left that as the only selection in the setup menu. I never had to play with the "format" button on the remote.

It occurred to me that when I set up the HR21Pro, I never tried hitting the format button to see if it would make any difference. (Duh)

I brought the HR21Pro back and connected it to my Sharp again today to try it - this was AFTER it had been connected to a video processor with HDMI inputs, where it had been putting out 1080i no problem.

I didn't even get a chance to try the format button - it seems that having been connected and running at 1080i on another device was enough to "kick it", as it came up in 1080i on my Sharp first thing, no questions asked, no poking needed...

Thanks to everyone for all the input though...

- Chip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.