DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cool Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the offer from DirecTV and received a HR21 and a H20 to replace my HR10-250 and H10. When I check the signal levels for the 101, on the H20 all the signal levels are 95-100. When I check the 101 on the HR21, the signal levels are in the mid 80s to low 90s on tuner 1. When I switch to tuner 2, the signal levels drop to high 60s and low 70s. Since, I will use the HR21 more than the H20, does anyone know why the signal levels would vary between receivers and tuners?

I have a Slimline 5 dish, connected to at WB68 multiswitch. Both receivers are connected to the multiswitch with the necessary BBCs in place. The HR21 has RG6 running to it from the multiswitch, while the H20, (which receives the higher signal levels), has RG59 running to it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Try swapping the BBC's to see if the low signals move to tuner 1. Then swap the antenna lines to see if anything moves. Then try different ports on the WB68. Then bypass the WB68 with double-female "barrel" adapters and hook the HR21 straight to two of the dish lines. Is this an HR21-100?

· Cool Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K4SMX, thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, the receiver is a HR21-100.

- I swapped the input lines - no change.
- I swapped the BBCs - no change.
- I swapped the input line and BBC from the H20 to input 2 on the HR21 - no change.

Is there an issue with the HR21-100 boxes?

Thanks.

· Legend
327 Posts
Same thing here Hr21-100 in livingroom H-20 in daughters room her signal levels are higher for some reason no multiswitch Slimline dish just installed 2 weeks ago.Must be something to do with the HR21-100 box?

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Maybe. I've got an early one that has not been as totally reliable as my HR20-700's. In general the signal strength readings run a little lower than other HR's. Whether that effects reception in bad weather a bit earlier or not I can't be sure, but I wonder. Generally there doesn't appear to be a difference between tuners, however. All your tests just completed show that it's probably not related to your installation. You may have a weak tuner there, so watch out for early "771 SFSS on SAT IN 2" messages during heavy rain in the LOS to the satellites which you don't see on SAT IN 1.

· Cool Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading in another thread that the national HD signals are on 103(c) and 99(c) I checked those out on both the HR21-100 and the H20. Same result: on the HR21, tuner 1 has higher levels than tuner 2 and the H20 has higher levels than both tuners on the HR21. Weirdy!!!

The channels are coming in fine now, I just hope they don't fade during the first rainfall.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
I think while you're still in the new equipment warranty window you need to get rid of that receiver. That tuner is sub-par. When you call, "most all signals on tuner 2 are <70" and you are "getting 771 messages on tuner 2".......;)

· Cool Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
K4SMX said:
I think while you're still in the new equipment warranty window you need to get rid of that receiver. That tuner is sub-par. When you call, "most all signals on tuner 2 are <70" and you are "getting 771 messages on tuner 2".......;)
Ugggh! I hate, nay, absolutely despise calling and talking to a CSR. I have never had a good experience. I just got off the phone after waiting 10 minutes to talk to a CSR to cancel the Sports Pack. After verifying my account information, he asked me if I meant the NFL Sunday Ticket. I said, "No, the Sports Pack with all the regional sports networks." He then asked me if I meant the NFL Super Fan. Again, I said, "No, the Sports Pack," and instructed him that it was listed under the premium channels. He put me on hold and then came back a couple of minutes later saying he removed it and noted my account. I'm not sure he got it correct since it is still showing on my account online and the additional RSNs are still being received. (BTW the only reason I called to remove it is because I have the grandfathered "Total Choice Plus" package and I read on DBSTalk that if you call to add/drop premium channels it won't effect the grandfathered package.) Additionally, I called the "special" toll free number DirecTV sent to me a while back that is supposed to be for loyal customers, although I question if it is any different from calling 800-DirecTV.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Ask immediately for the new installation/installation upgrade warranty department.

And yes, it doesn't sound like that last call went well.

· Cool Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dirac said:
Programming changes (drops, anyway) usually take effect at 6am ET the next morning. Maybe they'll go away by tomorrow.
I planned on giving it over night. It's odd though because in the past when I added or dropped a premium channel online, (before being forced to call in to keep TC+), it took effect immediately. I would think changes by the CSRs would be just as quick, (if not quicker), than online changes by the customer.

· Cool Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dirac said:
Programming changes (drops, anyway) usually take effect at 6am ET the next morning. Maybe they'll go away by tomorrow.
I checked this morning and I was still receiving Sports Pack and it was listed on my account online. I called DirecTV and talked to a CSR who had heard of Sports Pack before and he removed it from my account while I was on the phone. I was on hold longer than it took to make the change. In fact, it took a total of 30 seconds, once the CSR came on the line.

I asked him if there was any reference to my call from yesterday and he said there was a note on the account that, "...the customer wants cancel Sports Pack." The CSR then informed me that the CSR from yesterday, (and I quote), "...might be new or a foreigner and didn't know what the Sports Pack was."

Regardless, Sports Pack is off my account and TC+ remains intact. I was thinking I might have to switch to the Choice Plus package and pay the extra $3/month just to avoid having to call a CSR in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.