DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for multiple postings, but this needs to be known to ALL HR22 owners.

If you have an HR22 that dies, BEWARE! DirecTV WILL send you an HR21 to replace it with unless you specifically request an HR22 to replace your brand new HR22 through their logistics.

I got an HR22 last Wednesday when I had it installed. I specifically requested the HR22 on the order, and the installer got me one. It died Monday morning. The guide was acting flaky, and not populating, so I reset it, and that was the last time I have seen the blue ring light up on it. The magica smoke clearly came out of something.

I called in for a replacement, and they assured me it would show up in two days. HA.. they didn't even ship it until Tuesday (remember I called them on Monday morning). So it arrived today.

I open the box, and look and it is an HR21. A refurbished one. I called them back and asked what the deal was and she puts me on hold then comes back and says, "The HR22 receiver is a SPECIAL ORDER item. I have to escalate this to Logistics through my supervisor. It will take up to 8 days to receive."

HUH? Special order? WHAT???? :mad:

So I made them "special" order an HR22 and explained that this is NOT A SPECIAL ORDER since DirecTV sells the device, and the installer BROUGHT ONE TO ME when asked, and that DirecTV should change their philosophy on what does or does not constitute a special order. I also requested a credit for the inconvenience of having to go through this twice.

Total credit issued: $5.00 off my base package for 3 months.

Replacing a brand new model with the previous model is absolute crap. All I can say is that this HR21 BETTER WORK! :mad:

· Registered
5,915 Posts
spartanstew said:
BEWARE: Even if you request an HR22, there's no guarantee you'll get one. They will replace boxes with whatever is available.
That is what I have always heard as well, especially with HR20 vs. HR21. But with them saying it is a special order for the HR22 I wonder if they are having it as a separate sku they can guarantee?

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
Grentz said:
That is what I have always heard as well, especially with HR20 vs. HR21. But with them saying it is a special order for the HR22 I wonder if they are having it as a separate sku they can guarantee?
Perhaps, but I think it was probably just a CSR that wanted to get him off the phone.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spartanstew said:
Perhaps, but I think it was probably just a CSR that wanted to get him off the phone.
Uh, no, I just don't take no for an answer. Ever. I told her to do whatever it took to get me the same model that I had. Anything else is unacceptable. Would YOU settle for HALF the recording capacity just because they said so? Didn't think so.

· AllStar
63 Posts
I was told by a rep I talked to recently that they Mother D* can not ship you an HR22 because they don't have them even listed in their inventory sheets (this is what I was told by the CS rep I talked to) ... This is at the 1-800 number ...

I had to buy mine at Best buy, same $$$ so who cares, and mine came with a 64RB remote batteries shrink wrapped not installed, box still sealed with the D* seal on the bottom, everything brand spanking new as I took it from the box myself. It didn't come through the door out of the box. Anytime i ever got a reciever directly from the service tech truck it was always in a brand new sealed box, everything new.

I guess these *******s are taking the same position as Comcast has had for years and recycling junk equipment over and over and over again. They have taken a few different stances lately in the way they address issues related to the protection plan as well (see my other related post on the High Def board)

The HR22 is 100 hours HD capable and I think the HR20's and 21's are 50 so yeah half would be correct as last time I looked 50 was half of a 100 unless your Sarah Palen then it can be whatever you want it to be ...

· Legend
288 Posts
M$GUY said:
Uh, no, I just don't take no for an answer. Ever. I told her to do whatever it took to get me the same model that I had. Anything else is unacceptable. Would YOU settle for HALF the recording capacity just because they said so? Didn't think so.
D* needs to change this policy at least for the first 30-90 days. You should be able to get the same HR that you had, particularly if you bought(leased) your on HR at retail from BB or Costco. It is BS that they "can't control what model is shipped to you" the could and should, they just choose not to. Now after 30-90 days maybe from and inventory management policy getting what ever is shipped is a little more understandable.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
RobertE said:
Oh gawd, here we go again. :icon_dumm
With my HR22 being a "retail unit" I would want one as a replacement. I know how it works bro. I would still want an HR22 as the replacememtn for an HR22. Yes cause of the bigger HDD. Now I would even go as far as to go to BB or CC and buiy a new one if needed, or just retire one. Even still to D* they are all just HDVR+ units. I know I know......let the bashing begin

· Registered
5,915 Posts
You could always ask if they will credit you for the cost if you go and buy your own from BB/Costco.

I think it is BS as well, but their system is obviously not setup for individual models, it is setup for lines (SD, SD-DVR, HD, HD-DVR) and they send whatever is on hand/in stock.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Starchy77 said:
Well - the HR22 has a 500 GB hard drive, and the HR21 has a 300 or 350 GB hard drive.... don't think it is half. Someone please correct this!
It is about half because of this:
Smuuth said:
Yes, half:

HR21 has 300GB - 100GB reserved = 200GB
HR22 has 500GB - 100GB reserved = 400GB
(HR21 has 320gb, HR20 has 300gb for the most part)

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Starchy77 said:
Well - the HR22 has a 500 GB hard drive, and the HR21 has a 300 or 350 GB hard drive.... don't think it is half. Someone please correct this!
Just look at the recording times.....about 50hrs to 100 hrs. Yes it is about half. Yes I have them both. Really I have 4 hrxx's. Yes the HR22 is slower than my HR20. Point is that I would want an HR22 as a replecemt.If I wanted anther HR21 I would have gotten it from D*. The bigger HDD is handy. Much more room for movies and stuff for Sunday morning.

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
Starchy77 said:
No matter what the hard drive size the there is ≈100GB reserved for Directv and the OS.

The HR21s have a 320GB drive which leaves ≈200GB of space where the 500GB drive will have about 400GB or twice the space.

If you install a 1TB eSATA drive you will have ≈900GB of space for recordings or approx. 4½ times the space.

BTW...
HR20 - 300GB drive
HR21 - 320GB drive
HR22 - 500GB drive

Mike

· Godfather
308 Posts
MicroBeta said:
No matter what the hard drive size the there is ≈100GB reserved for Directv and the OS.

The HR21s have a 320GB drive which leaves ≈200GB of space where the 500GB drive will have about 400GB or twice the space.

If you install a 1TB eSATA drive you will have ≈900GB of space for recordings or approx. 4½ times the space.

BTW...
HR20 - 300GB drive
HR21 - 320GB drive
HR22 - 500GB drive

Mike
Thanks for the clarification!

· RIP
6,203 Posts
Sometimes predictions are just too easy. It's a shame that DirecTV just never seems to think things through...especially when it comes to customer service issues.

To the OP I'm sorry for your hassle, but honestly on things like this it's just to be expected from DirecTV.

Ken S said:
Reading this and I realized we're going to see a whole new type of complaints...the customers that purchase an HR22 with 500GB have it go bad and get a refurb HR20/21 sent as a replacement by DirecTV.
Stuart Sweet said:
Let's deal with that if it happens. We don't need to borrow problems from the future.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1759107&highlight=HR22#post1759107

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.