DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Legend
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a couple recent problems with my receivers - got an HR44 and a mix of 10 or HR24s and genies. One HR24 gives me the constant step 1 of 2 searching for satellite signal - probably a drive problem but didn't have time to mess with it so called DTV. They are sending out a replacement client instead of the standalone DVR - not really what I wanted.

In the meantime, I have a couple old HR22s and 23s that I put out of service a long time ago as I couldn't take how brutally slow they were anymore. I started thinking about how some have put SSDs in their DVRs and have liked the result. Anyone done this to a 22 or 23 and had great success with getting it closer to a 24s speed?

Next, I have a handful of H25s and HR24s that I have picked up along the way but never had them in service on my account. What's the best way to make this happen? If that can't work, what's the best way to get a new unit for my system without having it trigger another commitment?

Thanks, all!

· Registered
4,129 Posts
I've had a couple recent problems with my receivers - got an HR44 and a mix of 10 or HR24s and genies. One HR24 gives me the constant step 1 of 2 searching for satellite signal - probably a drive problem but didn't have time to mess with it so called DTV. They are sending out a replacement client instead of the standalone DVR - not really what I wanted.

In the meantime, I have a couple old HR22s and 23s that I put out of service a long time ago as I couldn't take how brutally slow they were anymore. I started thinking about how some have put SSDs in their DVRs and have liked the result. Anyone done this to a 22 or 23 and had great success with getting it closer to a 24s speed?

Next, I have a handful of H25s and HR24s that I have picked up along the way but never had them in service on my account. What's the best way to make this happen? If that can't work, what's the best way to get a new unit for my system without having it trigger another commitment?

Thanks, all!
First the Bad News any receiver you have "picked" up and never had them on your account --Will NEVER be activated on your account today.

You should have tried to get the Hr22 or Hr23 that was on your account Activated on your account --Those they will Reactivate.
I have a HR22 that I put a 1TB SSD external in 2020 and it still working --I record shows and only watch them from another room --It's in My MB and I do watch it once in a while and it is faster than with the original 500 MB Drive.

· Legend
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First the Bad News any receiver you have "picked" up and never had them on your account --Will NEVER be activated on your account today.

You should have tried to get the Hr22 or Hr23 that was on your account Activated on your account --Those they will Reactivate.
I have a HR22 that I put a 1TB SSD external in 2020 and it still working --I record shows and only watch them from another room --It's in My MB and I do watch it once in a while and it is faster than with the original 500 MB Drive.

Ya, I was afraid of that. So, I'm not interested in using anything slower than the HR24s as the 22s and 23s almost ended my sub with DTV. Any chance the SSD will get the 22s or 23s close to the 24 speed or is the processor the restriction?

Any other tips for getting new receivers without a commitment?

Thanks

· Go Pack Go!!!!
2,778 Posts
You bet they will- tossing SSD’s on any DirecTV dual tuner HDDVR will make them like new. The HR23’s were undisputedly the worst out of all the HR2x series receivers, and the HR22 was the 2nd worst of them all.

There’s really no chance of getting a new receiver without a commitment other than the protection plan replacement, except in that case they will likely give you a stupid client instead of a HR2x replacement.

You’ll see in my signature, I keep old stuff running like new just by using SSD’s, and spare fans/power supplies when needed.

Reactions: J Blow

· Legend
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You bet they will- tossing SSD’s on any DirecTV dual tuner HDDVR will make them like new. The HR23’s were undisputedly the worst out of all the HR2x series receivers, and the HR22 was the 2nd worst of them all.

There’s really no chance of getting a new receiver without a commitment other than the protection plan replacement, except in that case they will likely give you a stupid client instead of a HR2x replacement.

You’ll see in my signature, I keep old stuff running like new just by using SSD’s, and spare fans/power supplies when needed.
So, got my HR23 out of storage and plugged it in. It asked if I would let it download software. It was probably a 20-30 minute venture and we've through what I'm guessing was a format. Amazingly it was remarkably fat and useable so I called in and activated it. The CSR was great so I asked about activating one of the HR24s I had acquired elsewhere. I gave her the RID and if course it wasn't on my account. She then said she couldn't activate it but she would just send me another one to replace it since I have the protection plan.

I'm going to grab a few SSDs tomorrow and get my DVRs in top shape. Maybe even one for my 44. I'll have that, 2 C41s, a C51, 5 HR24s, and the lowly HR23 to do some testing between with new drives. Somehow I wound up with a H24, too. That's a bit of an oddity in my setup!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

· Go Pack Go!!!!
2,778 Posts
Stay away from Samsung QVO’s and EVO’s. I had issues with a lot of those rebooting every week on my setups with the 24’s.

Reactions: J Blow

· Legend
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a Western Digital 1 TB drive Blue

I don't need storage so got the WD blue 500 for my HR24. I put it in and it fixed my stuck on "step 1 of 2 - searching for satellite signal". It's also much faster now. Excellent!

· Cool Member
28 Posts
SSD's have a limited life since each cell can only be written to x number of times.
A DVR writes to a drive constantly as it's saving the live stream when it's not set to record. I'm quite curious of the lifespan of the SSD's in a DVR application.

1 Posts
Don’t use consumer grade SSDs as they do not have the write endurance needed for constant writing like DVRs or NVRs etc. Because they are always busy they don’t have the downtime to move around the data around to unused space to give even wear on all the cells. If you use SSDs then you really need to use enterprise drives. For example I have a number of them that can write their entire capacity twice each day for five years. They have multi-Petabyte (1000TB) of endurance. By comparison an 870 EVO 2TB only has an endurance of 150TB written or about 10% of the enterprise drive in the same timeframe. They will work fine but just be prepared for the early failure unless you have the golden example. 😎

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,001 Posts
Don’t use consumer grade SSDs as they do not have the write endurance needed for constant writing like DVRs or NVRs etc. Because they are always busy they don’t have the downtime to move around the data around to unused space to give even wear on all the cells.
It really has little to do with the relative durability of the cells. Pro drives are more about having a larger pool of spares to swap in. I wouldn't be surprised to see similar lifetimes if you change the reserve on a cheaper, larger consumer drive to be a similar proportion.

· Premium Member
11,401 Posts
The write lifetime is a warranty figure, it isn't a prediction for when the cells will wear out. There have been tests done by storage focused review sites that found almost all SSDs exceed those write lifetimes by a lot.

Plus while DVRs are writing all the time, they aren't writing much data. A average Directv HD channel is 6.5 Mbps which is about 25 TB/year. So even if it died immediately after 150 GB that's 3 years of two tuners writing 24x7. In reality the HR2x hardware is more likely to die before the SSD does.

Does a Directv DVR even write when it is in standby and no recordings are set? I thought that was the case, in contrast to Tivos which are always writing on all tuners.

26,001 Posts
Plus while DVRs are writing all the time, they aren't writing much data.
The amount of data doesn't much matter since twiddling one bit requires writing at least 512KB of data (128 4KB cells). Winchester technology drives (the ones that aren't shingled) are written in much smaller chunks (typically 4KB).

The TeraBytes Written (TBW) figure is a more meaningful metric because it doesn't involve elapsed time but it leaves determining the number of bytes written up to the user.

· Premium Member
11,401 Posts
The amount of data doesn't much matter since twiddling one bit requires writing at least 512KB of data (128 4KB cells). Winchester technology drives (the ones that aren't shingled) are written in much smaller chunks (typically 4KB).

The TeraBytes Written (TBW) figure is a more meaningful metric because it doesn't involve elapsed time but it leaves determining the number of bytes written up to the user.
Wrong, as usual. It is amazing how you post so confidently wrong ALL THE TIME but still keep posting. You have zero clue about technology, why don't you go learn something about how SSDs actually work before spewing drivel here?

DVRs do streaming writes, which do not amplify at all. The OS and drive will coalesce writes into the appropriate block size, they are not writing 512KB per bit of data.

If this was writing to a database, where you might flip a few bytes in random locations all the time then you'd have a point. But, of course, you do not.

26,001 Posts
It is amazing how you post so confidently wrong ALL THE TIME but still keep posting.
What is amazing is the lengths you go to to twist what I've said in an effort not to help anyone but only to try to impugn my credibility. In this you are both technically and morally wrong.

I didn't say that it makes a block write per bit. I said that even a single bit change requires a block write (as you admitted) which involves 128 cells.

26,001 Posts
A DVR will NEVER "change one bit" so what you are FUDing about is 100% irrelevant to the use of an SSD on a DVR.
How many bits do you suppose get twiddled when you delete a recording or establish a new pause point? Not everything is a full-buffer DMA transfer.

· Legend
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure I'm even following the technical aspects of the discussion at this point but, to me, the overall point is that it's been debunked that SSDs won't last long in a DVR. They will last long enough and outperform a mechanical drive to the point that it's completely obvious it's worth doing. That's the bottom line.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts