DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here we go again. A while back my receivers would freeze up and reboot themselves several times a day. The last few days it is happening again. I guess there has been a software "upgrade" over the last week. I am all but set on jumping to Dish now. My receivers are as slow (or slower) than ever and Direct does not want to work with me on keeping me as a customer. I am out of contract. I called last week about any discounts and was offered $10 a month off plus free DVR service for a year. My bill is up to $127 a month...no premium channels or anything, just Choice Plus Classic (I think). With the discounts I will still be around $110. That ain't good enough for the slow and re-booting receivers. I asked about what it would take to get Whole Home DVR and was told it would cost me $500 up front (I currently have 2 HR23's, an SD DVR, and 2 standard boxes). That is insane.

I will be calling Dish tomorrow for the Hopper. Hopefully they will work out a deal to bring back AMC before Breaking Bad kicks up again.

· Hall Of Fame
3,585 Posts
I believe the regular Whole Home DVR install where they install DECAs at your receivers and a Cinema Connect Kit is normally priced at $199 + $49 installation so $248 total.

My guess is the CSR was qouting you for a switch to the HR34 which runs $399 and a $49 install for a total of $448.

Or maybe he was swapping out your SD-DVR for a HD-DVR, and your two SD receivers for HD receivers which would run ($199 + $99 + $99 = $397) + $49 install for a total of $446.

I would say call back again and talk to another CSR. Sadly CSR roulette can greatly change what offers you get.

· AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beerstalker said:
I believe the regular Whole Home DVR install where they install DECAs at your receivers and a Cinema Connect Kit is normally priced at $199 + $49 installation so $248 total.

My guess is the CSR was qouting you for a switch to the HR34 which runs $399 and a $49 install for a total of $448.

Or maybe he was swapping out your SD-DVR for a HD-DVR, and your two SD receivers for HD receivers which would run ($199 + $99 + $99 = $397) + $49 install for a total of $446.

I would say call back again and talk to another CSR. Sadly CSR roulette can greatly change what offers you get.
Yes, that may be. I would have to upgrade my 3 non HD boxes to HD boxes, but I wouldn't need to upgrade the SD DVR to a HD DVR. Only to an HD box since I would have the Whole Home DVR throughout my house. The CSR I got wasn't the best for working out a deal, that's for sure. I am not sure what to do. I hear bad things about Dish as well. And they are more apt to drop channels. But my very sluggish receivers are enough to make me take the hop. And they will not upgrade my receivers. I could probably drop them and then they would come back with all the good offers. But if I switch to Dish I wouldn't switch back to Direct until the 2 years with Dish is up. Probably the best bet...just keep switching back and forth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.