DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very sorry if this has been answered before i have looked through various articles but I am a complete noob at satellite and i have always had Cable. I just want to make sure this will work before buying stuff.

We just switched from Cable to directv.

I have a HR24-100 in my living room hooked up with an HDMI cable. I want to be able to hook the receiver up to my TV upstairs(same channel I know) as well. I have read that i can use an RF modulator(as i dont care about it being HD upstairs) hooked up to my coax cable that runs to the splitter that used to feed the other tv's(when i had cable) in the house.

Question 1. Will this work

Also i want to be able to use my remote upstairs as well. I have an RC65X and i read that this is IR only and will not work.

Question 2. Can i go on Ebay and buy an RC65RX for upstairs and keep this one downstairs?

Question 3. What is the range of an RF DirecTV remote? I need it to go up one floor and over about 10 feet.

Question 4. If this works how do i set the remote up? Can i have both remotes set up at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

·
Icon
712 Posts
I think you will find the following link helpful:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=201586

Question 1: Will this work? Yes you can connect your upstairs TV via the coaxial cable. Connect the HD DVR's composite video and left and right audio to an RF modulator which connects to the upstairs coaxial cable. Note: the upstairs TV must have a coaxial input connector. If you have the new HD-UI, you will get a message on the upstairs TV which forces you to switch your two TV's to SD (no biggie). If you do not want the SD message, you connect the HD DVR's component video to a component to composite adapter which inturn will connect to the RF modulator. The above link describes this in detail.

Question 2. Can i go on Ebay and buy an RC65RX for upstairs and keep this one downstairs? Yes, you could purchase the remote, but you will need two RF remotes. The D* HD Receiver works either IR or RF, but it does not do both at the same time. I would call D* and negotiate an RF remote to replace the IR one.

Question 3. What is the range of an RF DirecTV remote? I need it to go up one floor and over about 10 feet. I have the very setup you describe. The RF remote works very well from my second floor PC server room which is 15 feet from the HD DVR receiver.

Question 4. If this works how do i set the remote up? Can i have both remotes set up at the same time? Yes, you can have both remotes setup. In my case, the second floor RF remote operates the HD DVR and the upstairs TV; and the main floor RF remote operates the HD DVR, Dennon AVR, and Sony HD TV.

I'm sure other DBSTALK members will chime in to assist. Best wishes!

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that post it really helped explain everything. I had to do more work than i thought because i still have cable internet and i ended up having to run another coax cable downstairs and crawl through my crawlspace half of my basement to connect the cable to the splitter box....now i just need to get the remote....

what should i say to directv to get them to give me an rf remote?

·
Icon
712 Posts
lilg740 said:
...........what should i say to directv to get them to give me an rf remote?
In my case, the IR remote would not work, because of the entertainment center's layout and antique glass panes in the doors. Also, my wife has arthritis in her hands and pointing an IR remote is out of the question which is what I told D*.

I suggest you ask for a lighted RF remote. They are easier to see at night. Best wishes.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,905 Posts
I'll chime in with one more option. You could purchase another IR remote or an aftermarket remote and an IR repeater to feed the signal from the remote room to the HR24. Someone might have that setup and can let you know what equipment works for them.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
allenn said:
In my case, the IR remote would not work, because of the entertainment center's layout and antique glass panes in the doors. Also, my wife has arthritis in her hands and pointing an IR remote is out of the question which is what I told D*.

I suggest you ask for a lighted RF remote. They are easier to see at night. Best wishes.
I was able to persuade D* to give me an RF remote for free using this...had to wait on hold for a supervisor for 25 minutes but i got it for free! Thanks!

·
Legend
157 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.