DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Icon
712 Posts
I think you will find the following link helpful:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=201586

Question 1: Will this work? Yes you can connect your upstairs TV via the coaxial cable. Connect the HD DVR's composite video and left and right audio to an RF modulator which connects to the upstairs coaxial cable. Note: the upstairs TV must have a coaxial input connector. If you have the new HD-UI, you will get a message on the upstairs TV which forces you to switch your two TV's to SD (no biggie). If you do not want the SD message, you connect the HD DVR's component video to a component to composite adapter which inturn will connect to the RF modulator. The above link describes this in detail.

Question 2. Can i go on Ebay and buy an RC65RX for upstairs and keep this one downstairs? Yes, you could purchase the remote, but you will need two RF remotes. The D* HD Receiver works either IR or RF, but it does not do both at the same time. I would call D* and negotiate an RF remote to replace the IR one.

Question 3. What is the range of an RF DirecTV remote? I need it to go up one floor and over about 10 feet. I have the very setup you describe. The RF remote works very well from my second floor PC server room which is 15 feet from the HD DVR receiver.

Question 4. If this works how do i set the remote up? Can i have both remotes set up at the same time? Yes, you can have both remotes setup. In my case, the second floor RF remote operates the HD DVR and the upstairs TV; and the main floor RF remote operates the HD DVR, Dennon AVR, and Sony HD TV.

I'm sure other DBSTALK members will chime in to assist. Best wishes!

·
Icon
712 Posts
lilg740 said:
...........what should i say to directv to get them to give me an rf remote?
In my case, the IR remote would not work, because of the entertainment center's layout and antique glass panes in the doors. Also, my wife has arthritis in her hands and pointing an IR remote is out of the question which is what I told D*.

I suggest you ask for a lighted RF remote. They are easier to see at night. Best wishes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.