DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I encountered video problems after the recent software download. The video looked like the video problems one had years ago in the tube TV's when the horizontal sweep would lose sync and the image was squeezed into unrecognizable image. After a series of calls and a lot of frustration I dropped Directv for Comcast. Other issues with Comcast convinced me to return to DirecTv. I received new equipment and the problem returned.

My old equipment;

HR21-700 HD DVR using external hard drive

Sony KDS-R70XBR2 TV

Denon AVR 3808 CI Receiver

New equipment;

HR24-200 HD DVR

Sony KDS-R70XBR2 TV

Denon AVR 3808 CI Receiver

After more phone conversations, decided to replace my HDMI cable. That did not fix the problem. I then reasoned that the problem must be software and it started with the original download to the old DVR. But the new one was not working either. So I researched the Denon receiver for software problems. That led me to connect the Denon to my router and download updated firmware. This download lasted about 75 minutes. The Denon turned itself on afterwards and the problem has not returned. It seems more of our devices these days are needing software updates.

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
Denons, while terrific AVRs, are notorious for issues with incompatibility with newer HDMI versions, and a new firmware download is a common fix. I think that Denon is well aware that they have this tendency, so they make sure to be very responsive in putting forth updates in a timely manner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.