DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded to the Genie Setup. I have main Genie Unit and two wireless units and one HR24-500 HD DVR that i use at home and for tailgating. Directv tech set it up fine at the house.
when i tried setting it up (HR-24-500)at tailgating couldn't get it to work.
When i got home and plugged in the receiver it said it couldn't detect SWM. Tried all kinds of tricks none would work. had to have a tech come. He got it straight in a very short time. i asked that he call me back when job was complete because i was at work and of course he didn't call me. I wanted to know what he did so if i have issue arise in future i know what to do.
Would any of you know what he possibly did?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
The issue is that you have an SWM setup at home and not for tailgating. So when you take your HR24 for tailgating, it's looking for the SWM.
You need to connect the HR24 to the tailgating dish, two cables, go into satellite setup, select "multiswitch" and then the dish type you are using for tailgating.
That setting won't "take" unless your dish is receiving signal.
Alternatively you could c onvert your tailgating dish to SWM and that would stop you having to change the dish typs etc What dish do you have for tailgating?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,780 Posts
mychat said:
Switched tailgating Dish LNB to a SWM LNB.
Although I have not done this recently with newer software, With many prior years of tailgate experience, I found that swapping between SWM and non SWM setups was a pain.
Often to get the SWM setup to go back to legacy I had to run setup as a Round 18 inch SD only setup then rerun a second time as a 5LNB legacy dish. I found that the legacy LNB was easier and more consistent to aim with my meter. Finally settled on a legacy LNB to aim at the tailgate but run thru a SWM-8 switch to avoid swapping setups at home and tailgate.

As the LNBs get more complex, the movements of tailgating is more and more difficult, requiring an installer level of expertise along with commercial meters to complete reliable acquisition.

By the way I did complete 4 Directv installer courses as a hobby just to understand all that was involved. Certified thru Com 2000.

Good Luck

Doctor j

·
Registered
462 Posts
doctor j said:
Although I have not done this recently with newer software, With many prior years of tailgate experience, I found that swapping between SWM and non SWM setups was a pain.
Often to get the SWM setup to go back to legacy I had to run setup as a Round 18 inch SD only setup then rerun a second time as a 5LNB legacy dish. I found that the legacy LNB was easier and more consistent to aim with my meter. Finally settled on a legacy LNB to aim at the tailgate but run thru a SWM-8 switch to avoid swapping setups at home and tailgate.

As the LNBs get more complex, the movements of tailgating is more and more difficult, requiring an installer level of expertise along with commercial meters to complete reliable acquisition.

By the way I did complete 4 Directv installer courses as a hobby just to understand all that was involved. Certified thru Com 2000.

Good Luck

Doctor j
YEA - You do like doing it the HARD way.
Why don't you just go into the Stadium ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.