DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd Issue with one of my HR24s, watching live TV, the picture nd sound will cut out with a black screen every 45-60 seconds. This causes any recordings to stop completely and show up as "partial" in the recordings list. If im navigating the guide or menu, only the picture from.the program in the left small screen disappears, menu and guide remain and functional.

I've tried a different HDMI, I've tried 2 different tvs. I've unplugged reset. My signal is great, Genie and client work perfectly.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,503 Posts
It could be any of several problems. I'd be looking the power supply as well. The HDD isn't always involved when watching live TV. IIRC, the HDD comes into the picture only after you pause or rewind live TV.

Signal loss would theoretically not be one such problem as you should see a pop-up about something like that.

Do previously made recordings play as they should?

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do previously made recordings play as they should?
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I cant assess that accurately because it appears that all the recorded content that was initiated on this unit shows up as "Partial" going back to last week. This HR24 isn't used very much, it's in my multi screen room used for Football Sundays mostly. Anything that was recorded on my genie, does play back without issue on this HR24.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,503 Posts
Anything that was recorded on my genie, does play back without issue on this HR24.
This suggests to me that the problem may be with the tuner(s). The power supply can probably be ruled out. The hard drive isn't entirely ruled out but it seems unlikely since the issue impacts live TV.

You have no recordings on the problem HR24 that aren't partial (looking back well before the problem started)?

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This suggests to me that the problem may be with the tuner(s). The power supply can probably be ruled out. The hard drive isn't entirely ruled out but it seems unlikely since the issue impacts live TV.

You have no recordings on the problem HR24 that aren't partial (looking back well before the problem started)?
No unfortunately not, always deleted after watching. I've identified a bit of a pattern after some testing. If I reset the receiver it'll work no issue. As soon as I start a recording on it, I'll get anywhere between 2-10 minutes of the recording, then it stops and the intermittent cutting in and out on live TV begins.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,503 Posts
Since you don't use it much and there aren't any recordings, I'd try a factory reset (press and hold the front panel power button for 20 seconds) and see what happens.

It is sounding more and more like b4pjoe hit the nail on the head.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,503 Posts
In the context presented in the OP, the problem manifested without the HD being involved ("live TV").

Now it comes out that the problem strikes only when recording.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the context presented in the OP, the problem manifested without the HD being involved ("live TV").

Now it comes out that the problem strikes only when recording.
My apologies I wasn't aware of that fact until some testing. I appreciate the assistance. With a factory reset do I need to call in to reactivate?

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Doing a full reset will erase the hard drive which may help but if it is truly going out it may fail or the reset may be short lived. If it does complete you will not have to re-activate it.

·
Icon
4,160 Posts
HD is used for live tv. That's where the live buffers are stored whether you use that feature or not. If your HD has bad sectors, etc. you'll get write errors which would trigger retries, etc. If your signal strength is good, and your fan is good, then replacing the HD would be the way to go. Personally, the software on the HR24 has gotten so bloated, and the hardware is so under powered, I would have gone with an SSD vs. a HD to improve responsiveness, but whatever works.

Of course, the HR24 is ancient, so you could also have failing electronic components ;).

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
Don't waste your time; replace the HDD with an SDD. You need a new drive, or you could do something really radical. Have you considered getting rid of your DVRs and using the Direct TV streaming service? It's far less expensive, and it just works better. The DVR function is much easier to use than a physical DVR, and in the last few months, I haven't had any problems at all. There's not much of a learning curve, if you're used to D*, you should be able to use the streaming version in a day or two.

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts