DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Don't waste your time; replace the HDD with an SDD. You need a new drive, or you could do something really radical. Have you considered getting rid of your DVRs and using the Direct TV streaming service? It's far less expensive, and it just works better. The DVR function is much easier to use than a physical DVR, and in the last few months, I haven't had any problems at all. There's not much of a learning curve, if you're used to D*, you should be able to use the streaming version in a day or two.
Would love to go streaming, but I'm not in the US so that won't work

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
There's nothing quite like arguing about the way a 24 works, with someone that has never had a 24, is there?
In all of my years of using the 24 the only issue I have ever had was with the HDD going bad, I did have a noisy fan a couple of times but that cleared up some how and about 90% of the time it is the HDD.Any issues replace the HDD. No need to mess with the BIST test which is time consuming and too often doesn't report any errors. One suggestion was a bad tuner? Really? In all of my years I've never seen a tuner go out. Possible I suppose but always, always, ALWAYS try another HDD first. :LOL:

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,450 Posts
I like to first try things that:
  • don't involve opening the case
  • don't involve removing the hard drive to connect it to a computer
  • don't involve spending lots of time collecting and reviewing useless data.

·
Icon
4,143 Posts
In all of my years of using the 24 the only issue I have ever had was with the HDD going bad, I did have a noisy fan a couple of times but that cleared up some how and about 90% of the time it is the HDD.Any issues replace the HDD. No need to mess with the BIST test which is time consuming and too often doesn't report any errors. One suggestion was a bad tuner? Really? In all of my years I've never seen a tuner go out. Possible I suppose but always, always, ALWAYS try another HDD first. :LOL:
I had an HR24 have a fan go out. Actually, the fan AND the fan header on the board went out. No warnings or anything. Know how I knew something was up? I had the HR24 sitting on top of another electronic component and the front panel LCD display on that device stopped working one day, so I'm like that's not supposed to happen. When I took a closer look, I could feel the heat coming off the HR24 and I could see it had cooked the front panel of that device to death. Temp was like 130-140 I recall. It cooked the HD too.

I replaced the hard drive and the fan, but I had to solder the fan wires onto the power supply since the fan header was dead lol.

That was easier then dealing with DirecTV for a replacement or buying / activating a new one.

Also have a SWM16 in my attic, one day my service started acting flaky, I did the usual DVR inspection and noticed my signal strength was out. I don't remember how I eventually figured it was the multiswitch, but when I went up to check it, I had just gotten my AC replaced, and the AC guy just chucked the SWM16 into the insulation and it suffered a heat death. I nailed the new one to a rafter so that doesn't happen again lol.

I have an HR54 now, but I threw an additional 80MM in my cabinet behind it for additional cooling.

But yeah, agree its not worth trying to fix or repair an HD, they are cheap nowadays.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I like to first try things that:
  • don't involve opening the case
  • don't involve removing the hard drive to connect it to a computer
I have never opened the case on an HR24 or removed the existing HDD. Always use an external drive to test/replace.

don't involve spending lots of time collecting and reviewing useless data.
You mean like this?

It could be any of several problems. I'd be looking the power supply as well. The HDD isn't always involved when watching live TV. IIRC, the HDD comes into the picture only after you pause or rewind live TV.

Signal loss would theoretically not be one such problem as you should see a pop-up about something like that.

Do previously made recordings play as they should?
This suggests to me that the problem may be with the tuner(s). The power supply can probably be ruled out. The hard drive isn't entirely ruled out but it seems unlikely since the issue impacts live TV.

You have no recordings on the problem HR24 that aren't partial (looking back well before the problem started)?
I couldn' agree more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't waste your time; replace the HDD with an SDD. You need a new drive, or you could do something really radical. Have you considered getting rid of your DVRs and using the Direct TV streaming service? It's far less expensive, and it just works better. The DVR function is much easier to use than a physical DVR, and in the last few months, I haven't had any problems at all. There's not much of a learning curve, if you're used to D*, you should be able to use the streaming version in a day or two.
SSD's don't do well in these units.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,450 Posts
SSD's don't do well in these units.
Do you have any evidence to support this?

My beefs about SSDs relate to capacity and value. Longevity doesn't seem to be an issue but as with all DIRECTV DVR storage enhancements, there have been notable compatibility issues.

·
Legend
113 Posts
I have replaced HD's in my HR24 two or three times over the years.

HD going bad usually always causes unit to reset and reboot. On reboot it attempts to fix corrupted blocks in the HD. It often works but after a short time it usually gets corrupted again. Best to change out HD.

Poor signal, either due to tuner or poor RF cable connection causes a dropout that does not reset the unit.

Be careful of cheap slow seek time HD's. I thought maybe putting a lower rpm 5400 rpm drive would last longer but they seem to get corrupted more than 7200 rpm drives.

Also be aware that some HD's are noisy when seeking tracks. In a quiet room this can be annoying.

Would not recommend using an SSD because of the high rewrite rate on HDR's wears them out.

There are other possibilities like a codex chip that is having trouble due to overheating. There are a couple of chips that get pretty hot during normal operation. Make sure you clean out vent ports and fan of dust build up periodically.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,731 Posts
Yea don’t knock it till you’ve tried it, been using SSD’s in most of my 24’s for years now thanks to Rich- see my sig. The 24’s after time slowed down and sucked with HDD’s, and now back to fast and don’t slow down with SSD’s.

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
I saw the comment about the tuners. Depending on how many tuners a DVR has, it can record several shows at once and even let you watch something at the same time. Most DVRs include at least four tuners, which means you can record up to four shows simultaneously. And yet, in all the years I've had physical DVRs, I've never lost one or had any tuner issues.

I agree about the diagnostic tests; why waste time on them? They don't have the capability of telling us the HDDs are slowly going south. That's the problem, the HDDs don't die as soon as they should; they keep running. These days, it doesn't make sense to replace the HDDs with HDDs, SSDs work better, and they're far more reliable.

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
Do you have any evidence to support this?

My beefs about SSDs relate to capacity and value. Longevity doesn't seem to be an issue but as with all DIRECTV DVR storage enhancements, there have been notable compatibility issues.
Notable compatibility issues? Which of your HRs has had those compatibility issues?

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
21 - 40 of 52 Posts